Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been designing a website for a friend of mine. She goes out and feeds these birds everyday during the cold season. We live in upper Wisconsin.

My friend's name is Yelena. She is an immigrant from the Ukraine. I know her and her husband (Sergay) from Bible study night. He is a computer guy. I have had him clean one computer and I bought a laptop from him. These are good people. They don't have a whole lot of money. They live in a modest apartment and Sergay works out of their apartment doing computer stuff. We (Alan and I) visit them to just chit chat and they visit us. They are my friends.

I did not know the plight of these birds in the winter. In the summer time; I use to feed the ducks and geese in the park too.

I had shown Sergay my portfolio of webs sites that I have designed. He asked me if I could design a site for Yelena. I am happy to do it. These birds need help and people need to be informed so this problem stops. Yelena said people in the Ukraine know to not feed the ducks and there are stiff fines for doing so.

At the time of posting this the site is 99% finished. I just need to add more pictures.

Here is the site. http://a-willing-vessel7.wix.com/savetheducks

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Maybe I got this backward..but feeding them in the winter just keeps the "problem"ongoing.
Yes, you have it backwards. Feeding them in the summer causes the problem, they will die in the winter without food. It's too late once winter starts as they've missed the migration window. They can't just decide to go because the food stops.

Unless you think that the problem is solved by all the ducks and geese dying. Then you would be correct that the problem would solve itself.

Az

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I got this backward..but feeding them in the winter just keeps the "problem"ongoing.
No.

It is for some birds. But this is different. They aren't migrating because they are fed so well in the warm season (especially the late summer and fall when their natural food source would be slowing down making their migratory instincts kick in.

She tried to not feed them in the winter one year and it was a catastrophe. Ducks and geese were dying all over the park.

She noticed this problem the 1st year and that is why she got involved.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I've read that this is a myth and that bird have an inbred urge to migrate whether they are fed or not. I do the hummingbird feeder in the spring, but that's it. I pay enough to keep my chickens in feed without taking on the rest of the bird population.

Either way, VM, I think it is a very good-hearted thing your friend is trying to do.

Reactions: Vectorwoman

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know for sure, but I've read that this is a myth and that bird have an inbred urge to migrate whether they are fed or not. I do the hummingbird feeder in the spring, but that's it. I pay enough to keep my chickens in feed without taking on the rest of the bird population.

Either way, VM, I think it is a very good-hearted thing your friend is trying to do.
Some domesticated ducks and geese do have the instinct; some don't.

I raise a few ducks and geese. In my 1st year raising them; all my mallards but one drake left in the fall. I think they came back and live in a secluded area in the back of the pond.

Then the next group got their wings clipped their 1st fall.

So; even though they are well fed, they left.

The park birds aren't leaving. Other than expecting the food all year; I don't know why they aren't but they aren't.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I thought I seen on TV where geese learn to fly south from there parents. If they don't fly south the first year then they won't know how. We have a large population of geese around here that don't go south. Partly because of local cooling lakes fore nuke plants and people feeding them.

·
Registered
13,482 Posts
One of the marinas I worked the bosses wife fed the geese and ducks, year round. Most of these birds had been dropped off there by people that could no longer keep them so they were already domesticated.
We had regular ducks and geese visiting in the area during the summer but they didn't mingle much with those in the marina.
There has always been a caution about feeding the humming birds in the fall so they have the urge to leave the mountains for the winter. Other wise they will die during the winter.
The thing about that particular marina is, that we don't let it freeze so the water temperature is better than otherwise .
Boats are kept in the water there year round.
The birds are fed through out the winter and have places to hide in at night.
Those wild birds that do hang around in other areas of the lake are food for the eagles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts