Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In the unfortunate, sad case of a terrorist attack, you often hear people
saying that a place like Colorado would be a target?

What I wonder about, is that if we are in so many wars, the military
are actually deployed, not living in Colorado per say. The families are the ones left behind. What am I missing? :eek::

So, why would a terrorist want to attack a place like Colorado?

I thought that maybe Colorado might be a good palce to live, because I do not think it is on a fault, so no earthquakes, not too close
to the New Madrid Fault, not too close to the San Andreas & Cascadian
faults. No nuclear plants.
But the one thing it has against it, YELLOWSTONE is a bit too close:(
And the military bases, that people seem to always complain about....

So, please help me out here,
what are your pros & cons of moving to Colorado,
in case when things go really down hill:( regardless of what it might be. Natural disaster, terrorism, economic collapse, etc.:eek:

Many thanks in advance!:thumb:
What a great forum & a great group of people!

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Colorado was good for the Wolverines!

I know that the Wolverines defeated an entire Soviet-Cuban armor division and successfully fought off Russian Spetnaz and Airborne Assault troops while hiding out in the Arapaho National Forest for four months, living off the land and subsiding only on tomato soup and pork n beans

<edit to add>
wait, what?

·
What would Mal do
4,912 Posts
in our area, we now have multiple IslamVille settlements - black convert families basically.

I figure, that makes us safe from major mass death attacks, as the terrorists wouldn't want to risk collateral damage as they take out us infidels.

That leaves it more for face to face fighting...which , based on the regular gun fire we hear from those facilities, is what they are prepared for.

and like my hero Hans always says,..."bring it on.. I prefer a straight on fight to all this sneakin around..."

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
There is nowhere in the US you can go and be completely safe from everything. In Ca you might have eathquakes and liberals but no tornadoes or hurricanes. In TX you dont have earthquakes but you have tornadoes and hurricanes. CO is a toss up for being safe from Yellowstone but if its terrorism you are worried about, stay out of Denver, Boulder, and CO Springs! I try to stay out of the major cities in CA in case some dipstick sets off a nuke!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,385 Posts
Hello,

In the unfortunate, sad case of a terrorist attack, you often hear people
saying that a place like Colorado would be a target?

What I wonder about, is that if we are in so many wars, the military
are actually deployed, not living in Colorado per say. The families are the ones left behind. What am I missing? :eek::

So, why would a terrorist want to attack a place like Colorado?

I thought that maybe Colorado might be a good palce to live, because I do not think it is on a fault, so no earthquakes, not too close
to the New Madrid Fault, not too close to the San Andreas & Cascadian
faults. No nuclear plants.
But the one thing it has against it, YELLOWSTONE is a bit too close:(
And the military bases, that people seem to always complain about....

So, please help me out here,
what are your pros & cons of moving to Colorado,
in case when things go really down hill:( regardless of what it might be. Natural disaster, terrorism, economic collapse, etc.:eek:

Many thanks in advance!:thumb:
What a great forum & a great group of people!
Colorado is not a bad place. I would recommend staying away from the big cities along the front range of course.

Much of colorado is rather dry, so I'd look at detailed precipitation maps if I planned on raising a garden and orchard after grid power and easy irrigation was lost.

The river valleys on the western side of the Rockies look very good if you can afford the land and develop a water system.

Ps, Colorado has some strange water laws. Get local help.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

Colorado is not a bad place. I would recommend staying away from the big cities along the front range of course.

Much of colorado is rather dry, so I'd look at detailed precipitation maps if I planned on raising a garden and orchard after grid power and easy irrigation was lost.

The river valleys on the western side of the Rockies look very good if you can afford the land and develop a water system.

Ps, Colorado has some strange water laws. Get local help.

Thanks for your help!
Any particular towns you would recommend?

Also, do you know if Colorado has done any Nuclear testing there like Nevada?

Did the Nevada/nuclear testing fallout reach Colorado?

Many thanks!:thumb:

·
Got Preps?
303 Posts
I know that the Wolverines defeated an entire Soviet-Cuban armor division and successfully fought off Russian Spetnaz and Airborne Assault troops while hiding out in the Arapaho National Forest for four months, living off the land and subsiding only on tomato soup and pork n beans

<edit to add>
wait, what?

Best post I've read all day. :thumb:

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,385 Posts
Thanks for your help!
Any particular towns you would recommend?

Also, do you know if Colorado has done any Nuclear testing there like Nevada?

Did the Nevada/nuclear testing fallout reach Colorado?

Many thanks!:thumb:
Let's try and get some Colorado residents to weigh in. I looked at the state closely before buying my ranch in the Ozarks, but as an outsider I may have missed a lot. I have serious reservations about the water laws. They are weird.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
in our area, we now have multiple IslamVille settlements - black convert families basically.

I figure, that makes us safe from major mass death attacks, as the terrorists wouldn't want to risk collateral damage as they take out us infidels.

That leaves it more for face to face fighting...which , based on the regular gun fire we hear from those facilities, is what they are prepared for.

and like my hero Hans always says,..."bring it on.. I prefer a straight on fight to all this sneakin around..."
Islam extremist would kill everyone, Muslims included and then blame Muslim deaths on the infidels and say that it was a master plan by infidels to stop Muslims in all the world by the killing them. You must think like they do, they use deception and fear as a weapon. This would get the Muslims in your town mad and in other parts of the world, making more attacks possible thru hatred for Americans

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Let's try and get some Colorado residents to weigh in. I looked at the state closely before buying my ranch in the Ozarks, but as an outsider I may have missed a lot. I have serious reservations about the water laws. They are weird.
If Yellowstone pops all of North America is toe up buried in ash like Pompei. Colorado has Norad outside the Springs which despite being bullet proof woulda been a target for the Soviets during the cold war. Not so much a concern now. Denver would be the most likely target due to its size. But the symbolic value of an attack on Denver dont hold a candle to NY LA CHI DC etc... Colorado Springs has a large military base but again it pales in comparison to others. We had/have Rocky Flats (nuclear weapon facility) and the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (chem weapons). But they have both since been shut down and buried. Both were manufacturing sites not testing sites. There are silos in the NE corner. More than likely not the part youd want to live in anyway.

The climate and ecology vary within the state. Depending on where you live temps range from 100+ to -30 which has both pros and cons. Parts of the state are dry. But others have a lot of water. Continental divide runs thru Co. Surface water is always cleanest at its origin so thats a plus. The Eastern 1/3rd is plains. Used for agriculture. The West ranges from snow capped 14ers to Rolling mesas. The front range is a transition line where the plains meet the mountains. It runs north to south and the biggest cities sit along it. Its all beautiful but the San Juans are my favorite. Theres a lot of little mountain towns but finding work could be the issue. If you want milder weather more conducive to agriculture check out the area around Grand Junction (Western Slope). They grow peaches and grapes for wine. Some of the more mountainous and colder parts have their pluses too. Disease parasites and insects aint nearly as bad as other parts of the country. The ski towns like Steamboat Springs could be a source for employment.

Fishing is good most places. And since the wolf and grizzley have been killed off the deer and elk are overpopulated. Wild edibles are plentiful in the warm months and scarce in winter. 300 days of sun. Low humidity. Folks tell me the high altitude takes getting used to.

Got any more specific questions feel free to ask.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I've studied my fair share of history, and pretty much every war I've seen has been over resources and/or strategic geography (islands, a port, canal, etc.). I don't see any economic motive for terrorism, but plenty for the military industrial complex. Without the Soviet Union to justify the world's largest military budget, they need some new call to perpetual arms. Something that'll last a few more decades. So I guess the hope is that terrorism is largely just a scare tactic. (Though it is true we've been making a lot of enemies lately.)

Your odds of getting into a lethal car accident or mugged by a common thug are statistically far higher than getting nailed by a manufactured boogeyman, a terraist, sasquatch, etc. So manage your fears accordingly.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
olorado

i have lived in the god-forsaken Front Range/Denver area for nearly 20 years. if you're looking for a great area to live, go to Gunnison on the west side.

- Large lakes
- local hydro-electric dams that if the grid goes down, at least you may get local power
- decent elk and deer hunting between the Blue-mesa lake area and going up logging trails into the West Elk Wilderness area.
- great trout/lake trout fishing
- plenty of wood nearby in surrounding national forest
-great, small college, for research equipment, library, and other facilities
-decent little hospital
- geographic isolation, or easily isolated due to the high mountain passes

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
The problem is preparing for the wrong problem, remember Tremors where the hero has all of this cool stuff in his basement only to be attacked by an underground monster. The USA military is constantly preparing to fight the last war. This is an easy mistake to make. You want some good advice? Live somewhere away from cities, military bases and that grows food, stay awake and flexible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts