Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just a Squirrel
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking, since reading some Great Depression stats, about jobs that may be secure if we have another depression.

I work in a field that I expect could go out of business very quickly, once people start tightening their belts, and have been thinking of preparing to switch fields now, somewhat ahead of the panic curve.

Job now: a writer and web content developer for an education-related company.
First, we work with a lot of homeschoolers -- generally a frugal lot. They would cut their subscriptions to our services without batting an eye. Also, I have a feeling that I would be the first one let go, as a writer is a luxury to have within a small company.

I was thinking of getting my RN at local college. I have most of my prereqs done and would just need about three semesters of school. We could put money towards it now, while we still can.

Bugging out is less of an option for us if we are "simply" facing depression.
My husband's job is not yet affected by things and he owns his company, so his job is pretty secure. It's also a medical-related field.

These skills could help my family if someone got sick, would be worth something in barter, and could possibly keep me working, not to mention possibly give me access to medical supplies.

One thing that scared me this week is that my daughter got really, really sick with an abcessed tonsil infection. She never even had a sore throat! Just a fever. Her antibiotic is currently not working and we will be going back to the doc this morning. Just the thought of going through this without medical care makes me really think.

I'm looking for general wisdom from this generally wise group, but this might be a good thread to also talk about other jobs that might be safe if we "only" get a major depression.

Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing.

to help a degree i have moved to medical and quarantine waste disposal. after being a general labourer for a few years.

Look for services that are essential.

Practical skills are handy to have that and a dedicated work spirit.

there will be times where the pay will be low and the hours long and the conditions poor. But at least you have a job. and there will be pleanty of others waitng to take your place if you leave.

dedication, hardworking, and enduring.

areas to look at that i can think of.

medicine- nurses ect. always need extra hands
farming.- being able to feed people will be a blessing
waste disposal. the rubbish has to go somewhere. or disease. will run wild.
general skills. a jack of all trades.
learn some skills.
can you build a chair,
repair a punctured tire.
even just being an extra pair of hand willing to work will help. take what you can get hold on and weather the storm.

personally. i have been practicing carpentry, basic first aid, learning how to run a forge. animal husbandry, agriculture. these skills will be helpfull in a depression.

·
Registered
50 Posts
sioux,

I would like to add some insight to your assertion regarding homeschooler. We homeschool our 3 kids and it is a struggle. My wife currently facilitates a group were I live. This is how I see it. We have to stop thinking of things in relationship to the current economic framework. We are not coming back from this. People need to erase the mindset created by our current debt/consumer system. Subtract all the nonsense we've been told about class division and income levels. Take it back to the garden and our original place in the larger environment. We need food, water, shelter and human interaction, These things will still be available in abundance, if we prepare accordingly. Stop looking at acquisition of occupation in the current mindset as a primary factor. The ship is sinking, so put away patching tar (if there is such a thing) and learn how to swim. Home schooling is going to be the only viable option for those who choose not to take part in the atrocitiy to come. I have strongly urged my wife to do 2 things. First, convert all material to hard copy and second, intergrate basic skills (agriculture, carpentry and such) into the curriculum. Stay with what you do now, just tailor it for what is to come. Your current cause is noble and right.
To cut this short, no body at the top intends for this thing to be reversed. They have something drastically different in mind. Stick with what you KNOW you'l l need to KNOW.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Wow, if you could get that nursing degree in 3 sem.'s
You'd have job offers all over, anywhere, immediately. I have a nursing friend, who says they're bringing in ladies from the Phillipines just to help satisfy the demand.
Some work 3 12 hour shifts, or 4 12 hour shifts and thus have 3 or 4 day weekends.
Many start out at about $50k. With healthcare costs rising so rapidly, you'll always be in demand.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Speaking with my parents and grandparents about the Great Depression, one of the things they both remembered were musicians. I know times have changed, but several of my great uncles (long gone now) that were carpenters, painters, cowboys, etc. and supplemented their income by playing in local bands for local events. I am sure it wasn't much, but it added a bit to the kitty.

My mother, who is still alive, said she remembers people getting together for a Saturday night dance and that it was a big deal, even though most were just getting by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts