Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people talk about bugging out, and unless you have been in the military you really have no idea of what all is involved. I am not saying it can’t be done but I would bet that most of you never had to bug out before.

Now some people here actually have a bug out location and that is great, but again I bet most don’t but yet most talk about going, so I ask, In all honesty, where are YOU going to go?

Just something to think about because if it comes down to it not many of your “friends” would take you in, you are just another mouth to feed and dissipate their much needed supplies…

In a situation like everyone talks about, trust is something that is going to be not so easily ready and true… Remember survival of the fittest…

To all my military brothers & sisters that I had the honor to serve with and the ones I never got to meet, I salute you and thank you for your service to our country and constitution of the great USA...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well said. I'm not in a position to go anywhere. Have all my preps at my one and only home. Plan on moving in the future to the property I have. That will come when I am financially able to do so. Logistically, bugging out is a tough task physically and psychologically. Being former military makes me appreciate the cost of such a venture.

·
Registered
400 Posts
God, you hit the nail on the head. The last part of my plan to conquer. For now, I'm set to bug-in until then. My BOB is just enough to get to my parent's house, which isn't far away, which is where my longer-term preps are kept, and is where the people I care about the most live. However, being that they are on the edge of Los Angeles, freeway and fire road close, so it's a good jumping point to figure out the next step.

From there...? <sigh>

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
I'm bugging out to the East deer stand where I can see almost the whole homestead as well as every road which accesses my property.

I'll likely send one of the boys to the Nine-Point stand where he will be able to see the west side of the grove as well as the whole terrain past the state highway a little over two miles away.

A raider won't get within a half mile of the place without showing himself to one of us.
We are used to sitting in these stands all day, and when we are in them we are hunting, which works the same for deer or raiders.

·
Who Watches the Watchmen?
7,204 Posts
take 3 hours 65 or less miles an hour one part thru a town is slow.. that will change with less enforcers concentrating on the road more on their town.

once i get past that slow spot its all good from there ive traveled the route day night and in bad weather.. its never heavy traffic or many accidents as long as theres no emp or an earthquake. if i was desperate i would walk to the small airport nearby and hijack a little single engine and try and make it home.. but ive thought it out and im ready like a minute man.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just wanted to get some into thinking this through...

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I plan on staying right where I'm at I live on the high ground and can see the whole area for three to four hundred yards got most of my supplies need to get some more ammo my two sons are preping also and are stocking up on ammo and food. Howard

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Up to the northern part of my state. I have many relatives in small towns there, and my parents also have a lake home. Small towns tend to be tighter-knit communities than the metro area I live in. I would, of course, bring all the supplies I can fit in my car trunk.

·
Old Guy
1,889 Posts
We are currently in a California city, and will have to bug in. We hope to be in the country in a free state by Summer. Then we'll have some acreage and some seclusion, so we'll bug in there.

I will do my best to fortify the place and that will have to do. We surely wouldn't want to be refugees, so unless absolutely it's necessary to bug out, we'll hold what we have.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,446 Posts
I agree with the OP. Bugging out blindly is not a good survival strategy. I plan to bug in, but I have backup plans in case I have no choice but to bug out.

I have 2 locations I could go to. Neither is as well stocked, but they may end up being a little more defensible, I don't know. One nearby is a farm and would be relatively sustainable as far as crops and animals. Both are in place now. The other is more distant, up in the woods. It'll be unlikely to grow many crops there, but there is abundant game and the locals are not going to be letting the rif raf in. I hope beyond hope that I don't have to go to either location.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
Now some people here actually have a bug out location and that is great, but again I bet most don’t but yet most talk about going, so I ask, In all honesty, where are YOU going to go?
Bug in short term, bug out long term to...that´s right, OpSec.

The thing is, a place of our own is maybe out of reach for many. I´m one of them.

But I asked a friend/co-worker/ex-wife/relative/sparring partner (you guess wich) of mine. I was honest, said it like it is and talked humbly without Red Dawn scenarios. Guess what? I´m welcome.

Now, this person doesn´t prep at all. But said person has skills and a fairly remote and hidden house with water and heat. No, it´s not a bunker and there are not infinte stores of eveything but it somewhere to go and live to fight another day.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If it's a short term event, then we plan to bug in.

Hopefully we'll find some BOL soon. Made an offer this past weekend, but that unfortunately fell through. They were already in the process of accepting another offer. We completely expect to find something that fits our needs sometime in 2010.

But for anything other than a total meltdown, we've got friends with lots of land we can stay with and have started some mutual aid type groupings with a few MC brothers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
if we have to bug out, it's too late, we're already dead. The plan is to defend here. can't take all this with us, and no place to go anyway. We'll get the neighbors and family to work together, and do our best. The money I'd spend setting up a place to bug to, is better served getting ready to defend what we have here. It's our last stand! And it will be a good one.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
The only way I'm gonna bug out is if forced into a retrograde mode by superior forces.
Otherwise the best chance is where tha supplies and support are - home.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it is short term I will stay home. If it is long term I will be going no place fast. I live in the DC area and the roads will be jammed with people running for their lives. I will have to wait a while or aquire a boat and take the river out of the area. Problem is I am 12 hours from my bugout location (family home).

·
Tales of a Scorched Earth
557 Posts
I am going to bug in and hunker down in current location.

It is not ideal, I know that..but I will try to make best with the situation at hand.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts