Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not suggesting anyone do this because of safety reasons (disclaimer).

This is the type of lamp we used in Cuba during blackouts. My family, along with many others, didn’t have any kerosene lamps so people got creative. You got an old glass jar and an empty tube of toothpaste (back then they were metal). The toothpaste tube got cut at the bottom and then cut up the sides (maybe halfway). The tube was cleaned out inside and the sides were rolled so it would form a base that would stand in the glass jar. Gauze would be used as a wick by putting it through the hole that the toothpaste comes out of and then lit. I don’t remember if you dipped the gauze in kerosene before lighting it. The lamp was placed in the meddle of the dinning room table to prevent it tipping and starting a fire. I saw this picture online and it reminded me of playing shadow puppets with my grandpa ages ago :)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fordtrucksforever yes similar to a tiki torch. I guess it sounds silly, but I had to go see what tiki torches looked like, only seen them in movies! I was 6 when I left Cuba and that was 41 years ago this year so I don’t remember how much smoke it put out.

·
Premium Member
10,828 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bunkerbuster those are amazing! I had never seen them, but now I have to get some. I like having backups and different ways of doing things. I might actually buy some to send back to family and old neighbors that are still stuck in Cuba.
I love this group! Just when I think I have an area covered I get new ideas about how I can take it up another level :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for sharing that. It's a fantastic idea. That I'm going to have to try sometime. I've always just used a ladle slush lantern orginally used by Eskimos. Basically the same principle. Instead of a jar, you use a soup ladle.
Thats really cool! I had to show my parents and they were impressed.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I like to see all the different designs for improvised items that people use. They are really inspiring. Thank you OP.

Some people use LED candles now and don't have to deal with the smelly kerosene. I can still smell the "odorless" kerosene we have here in the US. And improvised LED candles are easy to make. I should post one but I have to make and then use my own images per the site rules.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,263 Posts
Thank you for sharing that. It's a fantastic idea. That I'm going to have to try sometime. I've always just used a ladle slush lantern orginally used by Eskimos. Basically the same principle. Instead of a jar, you use a soup ladle.
:thumb:

The principle is timeless and works with a variety of vessels that can hold oil:

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-au...t-stone-kudlik-oil-lamp---seal-effigy-1218512

For those who are not familiar with a slush lamp, here are the basics:

http://survivaltek.com/?p=1230

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Oil-Lamp

I've made lamps using outdated cooking oil in a jar w/a cotton mop string. I found a few bottles of old vegetable oil that I had forgotten about, and they were way beyond the "best by" date and too old for cooking. Decided to keep them for this purpose, which works well.

I also save used well-strained cooking oil as a backup plan in case I run short on batteries, kerosene, etc. (To me, it does not smell bad, but some with delicate sensitivities might think so, though.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts