Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit it. I'm cheap. (ask my kids) For those of the same mindset here's a tip on improving almost any pistol style grip. I use these on Mossberg 500's, Remington Pistol grip (870), AK-47's and AR-15's and most of my semi-auto pistols.
I take a new bicycle inner tube. Cut to size (make it a little shorter than needed because it will have some stretch) Turn inside out (very important as the grip surface is much nicer on the inside of the tube) Wash and pat dry and then stretch over the handle. I know I should not need to say this but MAKE SURE THE WEAPON IS EMPTY AND MAGAZINE IS REMOVED!!!!!
Also make sure that it does not interfere with the mag release, you may have to nip a bit off to clear on both sides of the frame. You will be amazed on how good it is on a standard Glock or Beretta.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you try it?

A new one for me. Thanks
The first time you try to put one on you think, "this will never fit" after that it is easy. I have had officers, especially those with smaller hands, tell me that they have improved their qualification score by several points. It adds almost nothing to the size of the grip but is especially nice when your hands start to sweat.
I replace them once a year whether it seems worn or not.
There are ones for sale that do the same thing but they only seem to last a few months and then you have to spend another $10-15.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bah, if you have blood on your hands it'll be like ice.........you need shark skin or skate tape.....
Well, I read you post with interest, pulled out my Model 23 with tube grips, applied the appropriate liquid and still stand by my original position. If one were to use the outside of the tube, I might agree but the inside is much more tactile. I have noticed that when my hands sweat it still stays very secure. Blood does not seem to react any different than sweat. But hey, whatever works for you is Okay with me. This works for me.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
You've got 11 kids sarge912! Sunuvagun! I don't know whether to envy you or call you crazier than a bed bug.

Anyways, I've used ranger rubberbands on pistol grips before and a couple of things about them are:

1) They'll deteriorate over time, start cracking and turning powdery, and eventually this black stuff will rub off on your hands and your pistol.
2) I can see the potential for them getting kind of slick with certain stuff. The only reason I mention that is because I actually had tried some on an old hunting knife one time and I quickly found that blood tissue make them slick whereas sweat and water did not - don't ask me why.

We go through a lot of ranger rubberbands around here and have for decades. (Bike innertubes cut into rubberband sized pieces). They are good for a lot of things, no doubt about it, but I gotta agree with letsgetreal on this one (not necessarily his delivery mind you), about the potential for them being slick on a pistol grip. You may want to see how slick it is when you put jelly or something on it .... definitely different than water or sweat friend. :)

11 kids! Holy cow!

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inside out is the trick: the surface is very different on the inside,
For some reason, they break down a lot slower (Like I said before, I replace them once a year.) I know about skater's tape already, it tends to tear up my palm after 50 or 60 rounds. My point was it is a great improvement over the factory grips, even the new ones IMHO. I did run some tests after the challenge to my theory and did not find that blood made any real difference. Unless you are telling me that human blood will be much different for bovine or swine. I don't have very much of the former that I am willing to sacrifice for the test but I suppose I can draw a pipette or two if needed.

On the 11 kids, they are a pretty fun bunch, especially since they have been marrying well and bringing along grandkids for us to spoil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.