Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that we know which imported foods we might want to stock up on.

I'll start the list.

Coffee
Tea
Olives
Olive Oil
Cocoa
Chocolate syrup
Hot Chocolate
Dried Mangoes
Pistachios
Rice

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
sugar (low production in north america)
cotton (army has dibs on that)...okay not food but you will need clothes
90% of spices, not be confused with herbs
bamboo shoots and most other things needed for chinese cooking
cashews and about 60% of nuts, peanuts and pecans are the only large production nuts
vanilla, bean or pure extract
a lot of cheeses come from Europe asiago to name one
GOOD wine, not to offend the Napa Valley crew
kiwi fruit
bananas
any veg you want to buy in winter
fruit see above
quite a bit of the fish is from overseas with the exception of trout, salmon and catfish
sea salt, bulk produced from overseas
pepper

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Coffee for sure.
Sugar comes from South America as well as Hawaii and parts of the South US.
Canned fruits like Pineapple.(I know that also comes from Hawaii but anything oceanic transit will be really expensive)
Rice however does not necessarily come from overseas.
California and Louisiana and I think Texas grows more rice than many Asian countries.
Many spices come from overseas.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The US supplies a lot of English and Black Walnuts, Almonds, Sunflower and Pistachios. We also produce our own molasses and sugar, and then some - beets are one of our top-twenty crops, as is rice.

Most pineapple production has moved from Hawaii to Mexico. Dole and Del Monte being the only "big" commercial producers.

Cotton seeds are hard to come by, that is fertile ones. Most agricultural crops of this type are owned by Dekalb-Pfizer Genetics, or some other large corp. (working in conjunction with government programs to control world commodities). All of this seed is genetically altered. It will grow this season, but seeds collected from future generations will not be viable. This forces US growers to buy seed each year. Not a new, but rather a growing trend on all hybrid seed (homeland security has our agricultural interest covered for us as well :xeye:). This "alteration" goes a step further, but I won't address that here...
Get some heirloom cotton seed if you want to grow it.

In addition to spices, any essential oil derived from exotics that you might want for culinary, medicinal or cosmetic uses. Frankincense, Sandalwood, etc.

I cannot fathom the square footage that would be required to store the coffee I'd want for even a few years at my current rate of consumption. I am much better-off going cold-turkey.

·
793 Posts
Though North America does produce somethings like sugar as mentioned above...the amount is not equal to what the population would demand. You could strike the cheese though...we up in here in Canada hear folk lore type stories about your huge buildings of government cheese and peanut butter lol. Forgot about that!

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
They better lay off of my olives! I gotta have 'em.

Del Monte has a large portion of it's decision making operation in Costa Rica. Wonder how that scenario will be impacted? Such as, a company outside of the us shipping to it's own facility inside the US vs a company outside the US shipping to another company inside the US.

·
Watchful and Hopeful
122 Posts
Though North America does produce somethings like sugar as mentioned above...the amount is not equal to what the population would demand. You could strike the cheese though...we up in here in Canada hear folk lore type stories about your huge buildings of government cheese and peanut butter lol. Forgot about that!
I can't get any of it. I have made the mistake of working for what I have and being productive in society everyday. I would have skipped college and signed up for welfare, but the line was too long!

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
Good vodka (Ketel 1, Gray Goose).

Tea (my personal preference is Ahmad tea).

Ditto on olives.

Also, ALDI carries a brand of canned beef imported from Brasil. I can't remember the name at the moment, and too lazy go to downstairs to look in my stash. The stuff is good, although somewhat pricey ($2.20 per can + tax).

·
Registered
679 Posts
A 2007 USDA report (economic research service) indicates the U.S. currently imports 12% of it's total sugar consumption.

Since the 80's, we have stepped-up production of all sweeteners in the U.S, and are currently one of the top world producers of all sweeteners, including sugar.

I think we could get by on our own quite easily, granted we report a higher cost in refining.

Olives are grown in California guys! :thumb:

·
793 Posts
Hilda i didnt know that about sugar..but the question I have is where is it produced? Because I am guessing it has to be hot and dry..wonder if these areas could get hit by bad weather, say like florida or hard to get transportation for like hawaii

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
Most American sugar is produced in Florida. It is highly uneconomic and can only be sustained with a very high tariff barrier, large amounts of taxpayers money and water drained from vunerable wetlands.

That's why soft drinks in the USA do not contain sugar, they contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. High Fructose Corn Syrup is badly metabolised by the body and is directly linked to high levels of diabetes, but it's cheaper for the companies and that's all that matters.

So, higher prices for sugar, higher taxes, damaged environment and dangerously unhealthy soft drinks. That's the result of pork barrel politics for you.

If you can find Coke from Mexico, it contains sugar rather that High Fructose Corn Syrup, much better for you.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hilda i didnt know that about sugar..but the question I have is where is it produced? Because I am guessing it has to be hot and dry..wonder if these areas could get hit by bad weather, say like florida or hard to get transportation for like hawaii
We tend to think of sugar as cane, but beets have been gaining over the past twenty years, and over the past 5 or better have now surpassed cane in production. Beet farmers are also seeing higher profits.

Cane is grown in Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Beets are grown in eleven or more states, including my own and others here in the Plains, Great Lakes and Upper Midwest.

The report I linked is full of all kinds of interesting info, including an explanation of why beets and molasses are trending upward in production as viable crops vs. corn for ethanol production. There's also some interesting NAFTA info regarding Mexican imports which is already causing some heated issues as we "transition".

I feel like I've just totally jacked this thread and run away with it. My apologies, I'm an Aggie, and I live and breathe this stuff. :eek::

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
When TSHTF sugar demand as it is will likely drop as no one will be making coke or cake mixes anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I would seem to me, That if the situation was serious enought, any food, not grown in your local area, would be hard to come by.

Which goes back to having your on garden and store as much of the stuff you would not be able to get as you can.

A lot of our comfort foods would go by the wayside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts