Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a question of legality, if anyone can help me...

We still have an AWB in NY:(

I'm a resident of New York and have owned an SAR-1 for over 6 years now. We can't purchase any mag holding more than 10 rounds here in state. A couple years ago I purchased a number of used, steel 30 round mags, through a website that didn't restrict sale to NY. I think they were Romanian or from some other eastern European country.

Anyways...

From a friend, I hear something about needing to use pre-ban mags, or else I could get in some big trouble. Does anyone know if this is true? And how can I tell if mine are pre-ban mags, there are no markings on them. I even checked the inside.:confused:

So, could I get in trouble getting caught with these 30 round mags? Also, I've got a Tapco folding stock...is that illegal to have on my gun? The laws are confusing to understand, and any clarification may help.

-Thanks!

Attachments

·
Shooter
429 Posts
So called "assault weapons" lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994 and "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" manufactured prior to such date are grandfathered

Grey area, hope someone who lives there can clarify for sure.....

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I'm here to clarify.

Alright, listen up, take apart the magazines and LOOK ON EVERY SINGLE SURFACE, look for a date.

If there is no date - keep them, they are considered preban.
If there is a date, and its before the AWB date, keep them.
If its a date PAST the AWB, ehm... do what you wish (Legal would be to get rid of them, you decide how to go from there)

Also, with you gun.

Is your gun preban or postban? Like, what is it considered?

If your gun is preban, your fine.

If your gun is postban, that flash hider and folding stock make it illegal.

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, thanks for the info!!! :eek::...I have a post ban gun..I think I'm gonna be busy "modifying" something this afternoon...for my sake...

....These laws, :mad:

But to clarify...if the Mags have no date they should be fine right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohh...and that isn't a flash hider...its a US made pin on muzzel brake...well that's what its called...does that make any difference?

Thanks Mittelmorder and ww2willysjeep...hopefully I can figure this out, heck I don't even know how my gun was legally purchased here back in 2001-02...it came with a 30 round mag in the box

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
folding stock fore grip are illegal. mags are probly fine like stated if there is no date they are preban. i would ditch the muzzlebrake just in case. new unisued ones can come with 30 round mags., mine came with 2, i just bought a 3rd the other day in a gun shop. i have 2 10 rounders that suck azz.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I'm here to clarify.

Alright, listen up, take apart the magazines and LOOK ON EVERY SINGLE SURFACE, look for a date.

If there is no date - keep them, they are considered preban.
If there is a date, and its before the AWB date, keep them.
If its a date PAST the AWB, ehm... do what you wish (Legal would be to get rid of them, you decide how to go from there)

Also, with you gun.

Is your gun preban or postban? Like, what is it considered?

If your gun is preban, your fine.

If your gun is postban, that flash hider and folding stock make it illegal.

^ What he said... Basically you must live under the 1994-2004 Clinton AWB.

The GOOD NEWS, is that people in 'nonban states' have preban mags, AK's, AK's etc....

And we try to support ya'll... often a guy with a 'Preban gun' in a 'Nonban' state will do a trade with you.... (He gets a little boot, or maby just the new gun...)

I'd recoend you midify your posts/pictures...

·
Animis Opibusque Parati
490 Posts
Legal/Illegal If you have them then hide them until dooms day when you need them. Keep it to yourself. By posting though they most likely already have you on a list.
The main thing is don't get caught. Have no dates on your mags. I think most cops might give you lip because they don't know the intricacies of the law. Posession of a post ban high capacity feeding device is like a class E felony though I've never heard of somebody going to jail over it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The main thing is don't get caught. Have no dates on your mags. I think most cops might give you lip because they don't know the intricacies of the law. Posession of a post ban high capacity feeding device is like a class E felony though I've never heard of somebody going to jail over it.
Great advice!

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
OK I Live in New York and Have MANY Mag.. If there is no "LE" on the side or inside the mag then keep them.. NEw York see's them as Per-ban becuse they can't tell when the mag was born. As for the folding stock.. Yes it is illegal is New York. But I don't know how the LEO's are where you live.. The ones I go shooting with have there own AK's and AR15 with MAny EVIL parts to them..:taped:

P.S. The AK-74 style muzzle brake, YA the is illegal as well.. Because it is classified as a "Flash Hider" even if it is a pin on.. witch makes your 'POST-BAN' AK illegal with 2 or more EVIL Parts..
NEW YORK LAWS SUCK in this case..

Like everyone has said.. HIDE THEM!! And be careful we you shoot it.. GOOD LUCKY:thumb:

B/T/W the stands for "LE" Law Enforcement..

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
So called "assault weapons" lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994 and "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" manufactured prior to such date are grandfathered

Grey area, hope someone who lives there can clarify for sure.....
This is Why WASR 10/63 are sold legally here in New York.. Most of them have a date like 1975 or so.. Mine is 1974..:D: NEW YORK SEEs them as PRE-BAN!! LOVE LOOP HOLES!!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Thats an AK74 muzzle break. Thats fine as long as there are no threads on the barrel underneath it. But to be safe, just remove it, it doesnt do that much anyway and may throw off your barel harmonics. Is that a bayonet lug I see? Might want to cut it off with a Dremel if it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greaaaaaaaaaaaat....I am probably already on the list for giving speeches against the patriot act and other Bush policies while in college.

But yeah I'm gonna take off and hide those illegal parts, or maybe sell them if anyone's interested...I'd sell the folder for 25 bucks...

Ok, I don't mean to be so god darn ignorant about all this :( haha...You see it doesn't make any sense to me.
Judging from your post Zazale are you saying my SAR-1 is illegal too? I bought it during the ban from a NY gun store.

This Sh$t is starting to make me a little upset...As the day continues, I'm finding out more than I wanted to know for sure, but I guess I'd rather not have a felony.

I'll have to move to PA someday, or Vermont...haha

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
They're most likely Bulgarian mags--military issue, vanilla AK mag like them all. No dates etc. Scratch them up. Re-blue them. Tap in a few small dents (nothing too serious mind you!). Jimmy up a reciept from a gun-show long ago (pre-ban). And keep them in a deep, dark hole until SHTF. Only use the ten rounders at the range.

Never, ever call the draft board.

T

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.