Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching No End in Sight at the moment and I've gotta say that it's a very interesting documentary.

I'm not interested in discussing the politics or the war in Iraq here. But what happened in Iraq when the Iraqi government was effectively knocked out by the US forces is the interesting part.

Looting, killings, rapes, factional fighting, women staying home to avoid trouble, no government, effective or otherwise. Basically, no law, civil, martial or otherwise.

If and when TSHTF, this is the sort of stuff that we have to expect.

For those veterans of that invasion here, I guess this is nothing new.

Just to learn about these aspects of what happens when TSHTF, this is an interesting documentary.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
One thing that is very previlent in the SHTFs that Iv heard about is rapes and attacks on women, children and even small babies.

Looting also seems a very popular pass time, to be honest Im not sure how a 50 inch tv is going to work without electricity but people still nick them.

Im not sure if it will be worse in smaller countries such as the UK and Japan but in American and the larger countries the yobs will rely on distance to keep them safe.

The Japan disaster was definately one of the most surprising, there was no looting, no attacks on women and they even picked up money found in the street and handed it in. They may have a lot of things they have done wrong in the past but in the SHTF scenario they are the leader of good behaviour. I dont even think me and my fellow English could come close to it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm watching No End in Sight at the moment and I've gotta say that it's a very interesting documentary. I'm not interested in discussing the politics or the war in Iraq here. But what happened in Iraq when the Iraqi government was effectively knocked out by the US forces is the interesting part. Looting, killings, rapes, factional fighting, women staying home to avoid trouble, no government, effective or otherwise. Basically, no law, civil, martial or otherwise.
I'd like to be able to say the situation in Irag was different because they have a much less sophisticated society. However, I'm sure that'd be a strong indicator of my cultural bias. Truth of the matter is we have plenty of people right here that'd do the same thing, especially in the cities. I live in a relatively small & conservative rural town of 17,000 people and the situation here should not break down like it is going to in the big cities. I learned many years ago that "civilisation" is just a thin veneer over the animals that we really are. When things get really bad the beasts get out.;)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
The Japan disaster was definately one of the most surprising, there was no looting, no attacks on women and they even picked up money found in the street and handed it in. They may have a lot of things they have done wrong in the past but in the SHTF scenario they are the leader of good behaviour. I dont even think me and my fellow English could come close to it.
The Japanese are honest to a fault! If you leave an expensive camera in a public place somebody will pick it up and run you down to return it.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
If and when TSHTF, this is the sort of stuff that we have to expect.
I think a lot of it depends on the society.

Look at what happened in new orleans after hurricane katrina. Then look at what happened after the tidal wave hit japan.

Civilized people act as such.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,287 Posts
I was impressed with that also. Behavior is largely a matter of cultural programming. Theirs is excellant. As you mentioned, probably more so than your culture. And your culture, behavior wise, is a light year above ours. So you can get some idea what we may be facing in a large scale crisis.

A lot of our problems come from the fact that we don't really have a culture per se. We're a relatively new country, populated mostly by immigrants. Without a homogenous culture and plenty of time to develop the society that comes with it, we never have really grown past the "free for all" stage.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The "melting pot" used to lift the best of all cultures into general use. Diversity/multicultural flushed it all into the gutter. The overridding feature of what used to be American culture was Christianity. Still see it in parts of the South , West and fly over country.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts