Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Long story short, I'm trying to preposition as much of my food storage / supplies to my retreat location. Problem is that my cabin gets hit pretty hard with 0 degree temps for 4 months out of the year. Currently I'm limited to putting things in an above ground crawl space. Not a lot of excess moisture there, and I plan an putting quite a few dehumidifiers just to be safe.

So my question is what items can be exposed to those temps without being hurt by them? The nice thing is that is stays pretty cool in the summer so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling that basics like wheat, rice, salt, oats, etc should be fine as long as there in sealed buckets or cans and are off the floor. I'm mostly concerned with:

Canned goods - Soups, Stew, Tuna, Fruits, Veggies
Ammo - In ammo cans with desiccants pouches.
Water - How much space to leave in tanks for expansion?

Obviously glass jars are out of the question.

I hoping to put in a cellar next year below the frost line so that this isn't as big of an issue. That's assuming I have that kind of time..... :taped:

Your thoughts?

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
I'm not sure but I've heard that cans keep longer in freezing temps, I guess the stuff inside is usually solid enough to not expand enough to pop the cans? Might be different for syrupy fruits? Would need someone with more knowledge to answer this for sure tho.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I don't let canned goods freeze. Have gotten sick a couple of times from canned food that froze and thawed.
I keep that stuff in our basement which we keep at 50* or more.
I store a lot of dry goods in our unheated garage. Flour, pasta, sugar, salt, beans, rice.
No moisture , no problem.
If you are going to store water where freezing is posible , I would only fill the jugs about 75% full to be on the safe side. I do that with milk jugs I freeze and use in my cooler in the summer.
Ammo:I've never had a problem with ammo freezing. I store mine in 5 gal bukets with Gamma Lids and I've gota lot of ammo.
Hope this helps........

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stereoman, that is a great question. My problem in SE Texas is heat. It gets nasty hot. We do dip below freezing occasionlly and it is a consern. I hope this thread gets abunch of feedback........KF71

·
The Punisher
1,607 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts