Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the video in the thread "A video you really should watch - Possible QE4 scenario" I began thinking about the panic buying illustrated in the vignette.

Suppose we saw the beginning of a collapse, and recognized it for what it was. The general public will be slow on the uptake, and won't necessarily descend on the stores immediately, at least not until the media shows scores of people at the stores stocking up.

There's a good argument for staying away from the stores at times like this, but in my area (rural small town), I'd be shocked if there were any unrest early in the day. Others, in large cities, might experience something else.

So here we are: It's 10:30am, we see the collapse unfolding, we have time (and cash) to get to the stores to top off our preps.

You have one, and only one, shopping cart, and 30 minutes to fill it and get to the checkout.

What's in your cart, and why? (and yes, we should all be prepped ahead of time, but there are perishable items we'd all add if we had the chance).

Here's mine:

1. Cooking oils (olive oil primarily).
2. Vitamins and Vitamin C (get more)
3. Pain meds, allergy meds.
4. Spaghetti Sauce
5. Blocks cheese
6. Dried Milk
7. Canned Fruit
8. Bulk meat (to be canned at home)
9. Yeast (get more)
10. Propane tank(s)

And away from the store:

11. Gasoline

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did this but on a small scale:

Gas (for me and friends)
Dust mask (prevention)
Space blankets (multi use)
Iodine (disinfect)
meshety (multi use)
40 L water
travil road game

and my 2 bags that where already ready and hit the road for 3 days.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Assuming I knew before the masses

0. Withdraw limit on ATM. ($5,000)

1. Clean out all their batteries (AA, AAA, CR123). $1,000.

2. Clean out all their cigarettes. $1,000.

3. Clean out all their bulk rice, pasta, oats. $1,000.

4. Clean out all their candy. $1,000.

5. Gas. $1,000.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Forget groceries, the various items you'd want are too widely separated in the store and the checkout too dependent on outside circumstances (power, computer connections, other shoppers trying to force their way in) for it to be a quick and safe move. And people might remember "Oh yeah, just before it all went bad, What's his name bought a whole bunch. Let's go 'persuade' him to share some of the wealth." Maybe if you confine yourself to one or two items you could succeed; but even then, I'd be worried I'd reach my car in the parking lot just as everybody else started arriving in massive numbers, and I'd wind up stuck in a traffic jam, not going anywhere with all my purchases...

Gasoline. I'd go get gasoline, filling up the BOV and all my gas cans, Gas stations are made for quick transactions, and gas is mobility, fuel for rototillers, chainsaws, generators... I've got food and can grow and gather more. I probably won't be able to get more gas.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Whatever I have at that moment is whatever I will have. I am not going to waste my energy going to the store and fighting for things that will help me only for a few days or weeks - and may get stolen from me anyway. I will be loading up my car or fortifying my home as fast and hard as I can - to save what I already have.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever I have at that moment is whatever I will have. I am not going to waste my energy going to the store and fighting for things that will help me only for a few days or weeks - and may get stolen from me anyway. I will be loading up my car or fortifying my home as fast and hard as I can - to save what I already have.
I didn't mean for this to be a "fight the crowds" move, rather, you're clued in a couple hours before everyone else.

I do have my list, so that if I get ready for bed one night and things look really bad, I can put on clothes and go to Wally World and stock up before the rush. Or early the next day. Whatever.

I think this kind of exercise has value two ways: First is that it helps one find the holes in one's preps, and second, I believe that under many scenarios, we *will* have time to stock up, if not on food, then even on barter items.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I started an almost identical thread a couple years ago, but it barely got past all the critical posts advising that I just run straight home, bolt the doors and start loading magazines LOL !!!
But, (as I tried to make clear in my thread) I work at the northern edge of a pretty small city, and live up in the country, a few miles further north, so I figured a quick trip to a Publix or Wal-Mart was likely a fairly easy and safe proposition. In fact, I keep a couple hunnerd cash stashed in the car for exactly this scenario, and even have a short-list written on the back of a buisness card. ;)
Naturally I'd grab any gasoline I could, but since I pretty much stay close to full, I might not want to waste the time.
My short list, off the top of my head,would be:
- batteries
-vitamins
-alcohol,aspirin, bleach
-canned meats ( especially tuna,being the most economical.)
-carbs that will last a while and don't need cooking/preparation, like boxes of Trisquets,Wheat Thins,etc.
-big cans of nuts.
-a couple bags of bread,fresh oranges,grapefruit,bananas,carrots,etc.(might as well eat the good stuff for the first week.)
-all the canned goods my cart would hold and that I had the cash for.
-And,once at the check-out line.....a Cadbury bar and a copy of People magazine:D:
(I'm joking,I'M JOKING !!!! )

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well I only carry $40.00 in cash at one time so I would go for caned goods but if I could use my debt card I would buy, caned foods, toothbrushes, baking soda, ammunition, iodine tablets, clothing in my size, hiking boots, tarps and a large amount of TP.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I agree, Wombat. I've already got most of the stuff mentioned. Like MIL DOT, I'd be getting stuff I know won't last but will taste really great for a week or so--bread, maybe a big cake with chocolate frosting. This strategy isn't as nuts as it may sound; familiar "comfort" foods will have considerable psychological importance.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I'm not sure that I'd really need to add anything. Though it would be nice to have a chance to freshen my cooking oil storage. I'm pretty much overstocked on foods already. I may pick up some snack type items to help keep morale up for the first few weeks of the crisis. Things I don't normally store, chips and such. Maybe some fresh fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
After watching the video in the thread "A video you really should watch - Possible QE4 scenario" I began thinking about the panic buying illustrated in the vignette.

Suppose we saw the beginning of a collapse, and recognized it for what it was. The general public will be slow on the uptake, and won't necessarily descend on the stores immediately, at least not until the media shows scores of people at the stores stocking up.

There's a good argument for staying away from the stores at times like this, but in my area (rural small town), I'd be shocked if there were any unrest early in the day. Others, in large cities, might experience something else.

So here we are: It's 10:30am, we see the collapse unfolding, we have time (and cash) to get to the stores to top off our preps.

You have one, and only one, shopping cart, and 30 minutes to fill it and get to the checkout.

What's in your cart, and why? (and yes, we should all be prepped ahead of time, but there are perishable items we'd all add if we had the chance).

Here's mine:

1. Cooking oils (olive oil primarily).
2. Vitamins and Vitamin C (get more)
3. Pain meds, allergy meds.
4. Spaghetti Sauce
5. Blocks cheese
6. Dried Milk
7. Canned Fruit
8. Bulk meat (to be canned at home)
9. Yeast (get more)
10. Propane tank(s)

And away from the store:

11. Gasoline
Great List! I would also add some smoked sausage, and beef jerky in addition to bulk meat. Perhaps a bunch of root vegetables and winter squash. And tubs of Lard. And more TP, Paper Towels, Kleenex and Paper Plates (these are things we don't keep alot of now due to storage space issues)

Also, I would like to make this shopping trip one or two weeks before the total collapse. The time frame given would prevent me from going out for anything.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.