Survivalist Forum banner

what shell to use for ducks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
I use # 5

But I always shoot for the head it doesnt waste any meat. Makes it messy of your the type that holds onto the ears for cleaning. Also if its just cottontails a real easy way to gut is to hold by the head and shake em some then colapse the cheast and then fallow it down the cheast like a tube of toothpast. 8 out of 10 times it just pops out then you finish it off.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I like a shotgun for "wascally wabbits" when being pushed by beagles and/or basset hounds but if hunting alone or with my daughters then a rimfire to the head...

I happen to like #5 shot for ruffled grouse, ducks over decoys and rabbits but I'll shoot them occasionally with #2 shot that I use for geese over decoys...

I'd go with less but heavier pellets so #4 shot would probably be ideal for waterfowl flaring/pass shooting...For turkey I'd use #BB with a Super tight choke and #2 with a full choke...

Upland birds & rabbits I prefer regular loads, ducks a magnum load for pass shooting and a light magnum for over decoys, geese and turkey super magnum loads unless the geese are flaring real close then I'll go to the same loading but in a 2¾" shell...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.