Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For now two raised beds, 10'x20' each. My ground is rocky as heck. I think I may be over-engineering this thing using wood screws instead of nails. Hardest part is making the holes, there is no digging in this dirt:mad:

I hope to set up a drip irrigation system and some kind of protection from the deer.

The ground isn't perfectly level either.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pests/2000053920004911.html has a bunch of suggestions on keeping deer out. Make sure you fence it all 'round with a gate for you to get in; deer get in and forget how they got there and they'll damage the fence from the inside trying to get out.

I hope that's not pine I see in your boards; cedar lasts much longer. And as for over-engineering, screws work better than nails, IMHO. Mine are still holding together with screws, whereas I think nails would have popped out by now.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think the boards are fir. And I am using pressure treated posts, I know they are taboo in gardens. If the boards will be a problem, i'll just put clear plastic between them and the dirt. I think they will last plenty long though no matter what they are made of. Is cedar much more expensive than fir or pine? Maybe I will make the next one cedar.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Hi Idaho! We can't dig in our soil either so raised planters are all we have.
Sure makes gardening easier.
Hoping you have a wonderful bounty!

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More progress today. Trying to figure out if I should pour concrete for the posts....

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Here's the "official" square foot gardening site - although they are selling stuff, there seems to be some useful information there - perhaps you can get some additional ideas that will work with what you are already doing:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Reactions: Idaho

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sure looks like some beautiful countryside you're in there.

Good luck with the garden.
Well, it is but it is a little messy right now. I think I will stop picking up free pallets, they look trashy sitting out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts