Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I would like to be able to kill something to eat it if SHTF. Eventually I think I will buy a pistol, but I'm thinking of starting with a crossbow.

I assume it's much easier to just go out and buy one of these compared to a gun. Plus the ammunition is reusable.

Thoughts/concerns?

The only con I can think of is the compact self defense quality a gun has. It would be hard to load a crossbow when in an emergency.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you are thinking of a crossbow, that is a good option. They are well built effective weapons. If you get a good compound crossbow, they will be able to fire effectively at a decent range, penetrate well, and they are quite accurate. If you are expecting to use a gun for hunting, I would definetely recommend a rifle instead of a handgun.

--Wintermute

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are thinking of a crossbow, that is a good option. They are well built effective weapons. If you get a good compound crossbow, they will be able to fire effectively at a decent range, penetrate well, and they are quite accurate. If you are expecting to use a gun for hunting, I would definetely recommend a rifle instead of a handgun.

--Wintermute
Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i would go with a rifle and, or a shotgun after you buy your crossbow.

a shotgun is very useful for bird hunting and self defense.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
A crossbow is quiet, and it isnt a gun. I dont see any other reason to have one.

If you want to be practical, a rifle is a vastly more practical weapon than a crossbow. I guess I am not a 'car' person. Never cared for them, I liked it when I have lived where cars cant go. But you know, there's times you need a car and indulging myself in 'not being a car person" would be plain stupid.

A pellet rifle is good for low cost practice in the Art of Musketry. Some use for small game too.

A person who needs a gun needs four of them:

a .22 rifle
handgun
shotgun
high power rifle

The crossbow is a waste of money. You'd have to get a rifle anyway, and then the xbow will just sit there.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I would go with a good 1-22 Ruger carbine if I were you. I would mount a scope on the carbine, practice with it a lot and then I would store all sorts of bricks of ammo for it. That's the simplest and most versatile system for a survivalist to consider if they're just starting off with weaponry. The 10-22 lets you do so many, many things to it as time passes. The 10-22 has more accessories available to it that most other .22 rifles don't have and you can get magazines that hold a variety of different amounts of ammo too. A decent 10-22 will let you control the area around your house out to about a block and a half, should you need to do it, against a man-size target.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Sounds like you have made up your mind and are going to get the crossbow. First of all don't count on hunting for food in an all out crisis. You will starve to death. I have hunted since I was a kid. I had my on gun at age 11. You will have unprepared individual in the world out there looking for food. If things really get bad they will be eating dogs, cats and rats. Have you ever field dressed a kill? How to plan on keeping the meat from spoiling?

I agree with the guys saying buy a 22LR first. that is your best bet. Learn to shoot with it and quickly. If you really want to hunt get a larger gun soon as well. Best wishes to you. Buy food and water supplies now.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
a gun is a tool just like any other, with that in mind pick the right tool for the intended job.what are you thinking of hunting? big game/deer? use a suitable rifle for deer sized game,may i suggest a marlin 30/30 for deer.....small game such as rabbit a rifle in .22lr....both of these suggestions can be used for defence...even the lowly .22lr is a friggin wicked round at close range...if you want a defensive pistol i would suggest a 4''revolver in say 38spl. or an even better way to go is a marlin lever gun and revolver both chambered in .357mag. which should be fine for deer under a 100yrds.

all these choices make sense for someone who is not a ''gun person'' they dont take a lot of training and from my experience seem to be a natural for people like you,they are traditional american firearms of which we are all familiar with gun person and non gun person alike...........

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
it really depends on where you live. if your hunting area will be heavy wood then a crossbow is just fine ,good choice. but if your in a flat plains area then no you need a long range weapon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not being a gun person doesn't matter. The fact is, you need a gun to survive a SHTF situation. Period. Firefight/home defense with a crossbow? Sure fire way to get killed. There is a reason why cross bows are no longer used as weapons by military, it is because they have been surpassed technologically by the gun. Go out and buy a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Simple as that for someone who needs a starter weapon.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
My first weapon was a .410 shotgun, then a .22 LR. As I got older and more familar with firearms I started buying the bigger calibers. You should consider owning: a shotgun (12 ga.) a rifle and a pistol.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
Good .22 Rifle First IMHO! They are much more versatile than some ppl think!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think one should try hunting before the shtf so they know that it is not going
to be so simple.
you have to be really close to your game with a crossbow...not so easy.
someone with an AR-15 or an AK47 will come along and take your food and
your crossbow. Not all people are nice, buy a weapon and learn how to use it....
keep it with you after the shtf while you are hunting......IMHO....

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I've been known to hammer small nails with a crescent wrench if it was all I had at hand but I would not go out and buy a crescent wrench if the job was to nail. I'd buy a hammer.

A weapon is a tool, nothing more.

If the job is putting food on the table or protecting yourself then buy the tool best suited to the job. That would be a rifle. A 22 is cheap, effective and you can buy a ton of ammo for very little money, allowing you to practice and stockpile.

A shotgun can shoot pellets or slugs and adapt to a variety of situations, also not a bad choice. A concealable handgun is essential.

A crossbow may look cool and be fun to play with but it would not be my tool of choice.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Look, i'm not telling you NOT to get a crossbow.

(My view in life is "I want it" is enough justification for me)

BUt While I am not a 'hunter' I have hunted variuous things, in various places...

Just please take my advice and spend Atleast $60 ona used Marlin Model 60...

and say $15 on a brick of ammo.

Then go take a hunter safety class (You'll need it for the crossbow anyway)
on second thought, take the class first.

then shoot the 500 rounds up. If you don't like it you can sel lthe .22 and be out maby $25...

But I'm betting it'll be worth you keeping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You aren't going to bring down alot with a .22. At the very least get a carbine that uses a pistol round OR get an assualt rifle. The round from an AK will take down a hog, and they are widely avaliable.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You aren't going to bring down alot with a .22. At the very least get a carbine that uses a pistol round OR get an assualt rifle. The round from an AK will take down a hog, and they are widely avaliable.

You can learn to aim (Which you will need to do with a crossbow)
You will learn safety basics (Still apply)

You may get a skill.

Ammo's cheap and NO recoil.

And it'll cost less than $100 (I doubt someone who doesn''t want a gun is gonna buy a several hundred dollar firearm)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts