Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there to see if i am the only one. Well i obviously am not the only one because Cody Lundin is doing it too. :)

A little background. A few years ago, i was in a pretty "good" car wreck. Of course this was back when i was younger, and was "invincible". So of course, i wasnt wearing a seat belt. I do now! Anyway, my neck, lower back, left hip all the way to the bottom of my foot are constantly in pain or constantly "asleep".

A couple of weeks ago, i decided to Cody Lundin it (go barefoot). I only do it around my house and property at the moment. My feet arent quite tough enough to handle the town yet. Just in the past two weeks, i have noticed a considerable difference. My" pain" is still there, but it isnt as bad. For the first few days, it honestly felt like a foot massage, after walking around for awhile, then sitting back down. Now, it doesnt feel comfortable for me to wear shoes. It makes my feet feel cramped up. Which in turn makes them tighten back up. I have noticed a increase in flexibility in my feet. I walk through different types of terrain on my property. Woodland, grass, gravel, pea gravel, and clay.

I am just wondering, if anyone else has done this? Did/Do you notice a difference? I definitely notice a difference in the way i walk. Just wondering. Looking forward to yalls replies.

In the words of Abo-dude (Mr. Lundin for you new survivors), "my mitochondria can kick your mitochondrias ass". LOL

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's always good to be able to have rough enough feet to be able to do some minor outdoors walking around without discomfort. But what Cody does is just foolish.
Yes, some of it is crazy. I am not going to the snow/everglades/forest etc like this. Especially with just shorts and no shoes. That is asking for trouble. IMO. Just doing this as an experiment. I am sure though, in his home terrain, it is a little different. In the desert you dont have to worry about poison ivy and all the other dangers. Just wondering what everyone else has to say.

I talked to my doctor, and he said that people were made to wear shoes. WHAT? People went thousands of years without "shoes". When i go out i have moccasssins. I am sensible enough to know the proper time to wear protection.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I remember going from a carpet house to a wood floor home... my calfs were tight also. The "tightness" you feel is just from the initial workout of different muscles. After a month or so, my leg/foot muscles got used to it and the tightness went away. If you were walking on carpet or grass, you probably wouldn't feel that tightness as much.

I hope you feel continued relief though. As far as walking about barefoot, there are certain benefits. Science is growing towards the benefits of walking barefoot. Barefoot shoes are gaining popularity. Whether it is a fad or not is to be determined.

This is a good book to check out:
Amazon.com: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen (0066556508308): Christopher McDougall: Books

BUT BUT BUT I would not walk bare-feet any place that you can slice your foot open. Especially in the woods or backpacking. Once at camp, or on a grassy meadow... maybe if I had to. So it is shoes for me unless I want a pair of Orangutan feet :D: Personally, I like a pair of light running shoes or leather moccasins. I keep the most balance/speed that way and remain protected. Not to mention it is quiet.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember going from a carpet house to a wood floor home... my calfs were tight also. The "tightness" you feel is just from the initial workout of different muscles. After a month or so, my leg/foot muscles got used to it and the tightness went away. If you were walking on carpet or grass, you probably wouldn't feel that tightness as much.

I hope you feel continued relief though. As far as walking about barefoot, there are certain benefits. Science is growing towards the benefits of walking barefoot. Barefoot shoes are gaining popularity. Whether it is a fad or not is to be determined.
<snip>

BUT BUT BUT I would not walk bare-feet any place that you can slice your foot open. Especially in the woods or backpacking. Once at camp, or on a grassy meadow... maybe if I had to. So it is shoes for me unless I want a pair of Orangutan feet :D: Personally, I like a pair of light running shoes or leather moccasins. I keep the most balance/speed that way and remain protected. Not to mention it is quiet.
I will definitely check out that book, thanks. Orangutan feet too funny. I am with you on the moccasins. I have gone through a few pairs in my time. That is what i wear hunting, because i stalk hunt. Yes it is super quiet, especially compared to what i call, "mega-man" boots. :thumb:

·
Registered
639 Posts
'Born to Run' was a fantastic read, and some interesting thoughts about human running superiority.

I wear shoes only because I need to when I go into any place of business, otherwise I would go barefoot everywhere. When I go running I'll take the shoes off if I'm going to be off of the pavement, it really just feels better.

·
Martian Invader from Mars
484 Posts
Take a look at these shoes:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I have a pair, and my god, they are comfy (surprisingly). I use mine to walk, run, jog, swim, do anything. My calves have tightened up, my feet have a very pronounced arch, i sleep a lot better, my back doesn't hurt when i stand on my feet all day, there are a ton of benefits to walking barefoot (or with barefoot shoes).

All they really are is a very thin piece of rubber on your sole, and some fabric up top to keep it on. You can use these to walk anywhere you want, or run as well.

Just know that they do tend to get a bit stinky, but nothing a water/vinegar bath and a rinse in the washing machine wont take care of. Oh, and you'll also get some friendly poking and jabbing from family/friends, because everyone thinks these shoes are weird (they are, but its worth it, IMO)

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Yeah I personally am starting to go to less shoes myself.(Keds or Converse type shoes, and Deck shoes.) After wearing heavy boots for most of my adult life, my feet are in rough shape. After wearing lighter weight, and thinner shoes,my feet are starting to feel better.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@elixin77: i have looked into the five fingers. I like how the soles are made by the same company that makes soles for merrel. I just got some new merrels a couple of months ago. I really want to wear them out before i get anymore shoes. But they are merrels, that may take awhile. I have noticed though that a few other companies are jumping on the band wagon. D-i-c-ks sporting goods has some reebok versions on sale for $40. I do understand the get what you pay for philosophy. Does anyone have experience with these? They are more in my price range, and could be a good starter to see if i like them. I walk barefoot or in mocassins, i am sure i will. I have been saying that these type of shoes will be the next type i get. I have heard/read nothing but good review for the vibrams.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
His survival kit has been absorbed into my hiking kit and my bob.

But as someone who's been barefoot around the house since I can remember... I wouldn't recommend it.

I never wear shoes unless I leave somewhere and you really limit yourself on the terrain and when you can walk outside (california summers)

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Just throwing this out there to see if i am the only one. Well i obviously am not the only one because Cody Lundin is doing it too. :)

A little background. A few years ago, i was in a pretty "good" car wreck. Of course this was back when i was younger, and was "invincible". So of course, i wasnt wearing a seat belt. I do now! Anyway, my neck, lower back, left hip all the way to the bottom of my foot are constantly in pain or constantly "asleep".

A couple of weeks ago, i decided to Cody Lundin it (go barefoot). I only do it around my house and property at the moment. My feet arent quite tough enough to handle the town yet. Just in the past two weeks, i have noticed a considerable difference. My" pain" is still there, but it isnt as bad. For the first few days, it honestly felt like a foot massage, after walking around for awhile, then sitting back down. Now, it doesnt feel comfortable for me to wear shoes. It makes my feet feel cramped up. Which in turn makes them tighten back up. I have noticed a increase in flexibility in my feet. I walk through different types of terrain on my property. Woodland, grass, gravel, pea gravel, and clay.

I am just wondering, if anyone else has done this? Did/Do you notice a difference? I definitely notice a difference in the way i walk. Just wondering. Looking forward to yalls replies.

In the words of Abo-dude (Mr. Lundin for you new survivors), "my mitochondria can kick your mitochondrias ass". LOL
yea just as a point of reference, in order to be a lundlin-ite... you have to not only not wear shoes, but you have to wear shorts in every single climate on the planet 24/7, one must also wear a bandana and a nose ring.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
When my kids were little, I had a fight with my mother-in-law about foot wear. She insisted on those hard high lace up things and I said barefoot or cheap ones are best. So I took the question to the pediatrician SHE had recommended. He said barefoot was the natural state and that shoes were only supposed to protect you feet from harsh conditions.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
@elixin77: i have looked into the five fingers. I like how the soles are made by the same company that makes soles for merrel. I just got some new merrels a couple of months ago. I really want to wear them out before i get anymore shoes. But they are merrels, that may take awhile. I have noticed though that a few other companies are jumping on the band wagon. D-i-c-ks sporting goods has some reebok versions on sale for $40. I do understand the get what you pay for philosophy. Does anyone have experience with these? They are more in my price range, and could be a good starter to see if i like them. I walk barefoot or in mocassins, i am sure i will. I have been saying that these type of shoes will be the next type i get. I have heard/read nothing but good review for the vibrams.
Merrel also has a line of barefoot shoes that are a bit more conventional looking(some of them you could wear for bus. casual).My brother loves his fivefingers, I'd like to try'em but my feet are too blankin' big.

·
Registered
7 Posts
About 6 months ago it became extremely painful for me to walk in normal shoes so I decided to try going barefoot. The heel lift in normal footwear caused a lot of pain from my feet to my back.

The transition was really rough for me since I always wore something on my feet unless I was in bed or in the shower. My feet hurt really bad for a few months. I used Red Light Therapy to manage the pain and accelerate healing, without it the transition would have been unbearable and taken much longer.

Since I went barefoot my feet are becoming much stronger, healthier and I have much more balance and strength. I can stop dead now without needing to take extra steps even if one foot is off the ground. I'm regaining the mobility I remember from my childhood.

I have two pairs of vibram five fingers. I have the KSO and the Bikila LS. Vibram fixed a bunch of issues in the two newer models, they are making good progress in the shoe designs.

I'm hoping Vibram makes a newer version of the FLOW shoe because I have no idea what I'm going to wear in the winter :(

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
When I was a kid, I lived in Southern California, near the beach. I almost never wore shoes during the summer, even flip flops. We would walk the few blocks to the beach and around the block without any problems, often with a pair of Ked's hung around our shoulders. By the end of summer we would have darn-near bullet-proof foot pads. Years latter after being civilized, I started formal martial arts training and everything was done in bare feet on a Dojo covered in indoor-outdoor carpet that tore up my feet for weeks until I toughened up. Now I walk around in bare feet for a while every day to keep my feet able to take a bit of rough ground or a nasty workout, just in case.

I just wish I lived near a beach, I would walk miles every day in bare feet.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts