Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
common bleach? nothing with radiation in that... I'm not too worried about this one!
Now it is bleach. What will it be in the future? How long before a major disaster?
My point is that with the number of accidents occuring due to human error and the weather, we should be prepared for anything. We have had all kinds of threats to nuclear plants and Los Alamos Nuclear Lab recently. Also, still have flooding at Ft. Calhoun. Browns Ferry had a problem during the Joplin tornado a while back. The list goes on and on. These are just a few examples of recent problems which were not given a lot of media attention because they were minor. Even the flooding at Cooper and Ft. Calhoun and the fires at Los Alamos did not receive much attention.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9OGD6UG0.htm
http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/nmrcb/documents/LasConchasFireAirMonitoring.html
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/14/tva-defends-browns-ferry-after-reports-equipment-o/

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Note the heading. I did not say it was radiation. It clearly says chemical.
This is a recordable accident and must be reported to the NRC,good thread,inability to access the cooling area is something to be concerned about,and no one knows how many cascading incident scenarios there are that could lead to a release of radiation,being a recordable incident is serious enough.

Thanks,Bob

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
It's such a non - event that it didn't even make the local news ....... an entire train of ethanol derailed and that barely made the news ........
It is news worthy because it occurred at a nuclear plant. - - "News Worthy" if you oppose cheap clean electricity and want to scare old ladies into buying wrinkle cream.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,003 Posts
I think someone bumps their head at a Nnuke site, it should cause concern. Hold them to a higher standard I say. Everything should be reportable.

It may be cheap and clean, but at what cost to lives IF something goes wrong. With these things, its not like you just go in clean up and start over.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is news worthy because it occurred at a nuclear plant. - - "News Worthy" if you oppose cheap clean electricity and want to scare old ladies into buying wrinkle cream.
I assume then that you have not prepared for any nuclear disasters since you think none will occur. I also assume you do not wish to be notified in the rare event that one does occur. That may be YOUR choice. However, I choose to be informed, as do, I believe, most people on this board. If they were not concerned about a wide range of threats to personal safety they would not be on this site. The point is not to scare someone with this particular event but to increase awareness about future potentially dangerous events. The choice to be prepared for all possible events could mean the difference between life and death.

NONE of our energy sources are safe. Accidents happen on a regular basis. Many minor mistakes and problems are never reported until a major disaster occurs and past records are examined. Perhaps you should do some research. Look at all the citations by the NRC. Look at all the reported incidents. Add human errors, of which plenty abound, and natural disasters and there is a much higher risk of a life-threatening scenario. Massey Energy's coal mine is West VA is another example. There were 57 violations in the month prior to the explosion in Montcoal, WVA in April 2010. The BP oil rig explosion in the Gulf is yet another example. Just a few days ago, I posted a link to an illegal immigrant being hired to work at Palo Verde. He could have just as easily been a terrorist taking a bomb into the plant. Do you rest easier knowing it is possible for such things to happen? I don't!

What you seem to be saying is that we need cheap energy even at the expense of many lives. I would love to have cheap energy also. I am not totally opposed to nuclear energy. I just think there are not enough safeguards in place and that many of our nuclear facilities are deterriorating. Without updating the facilities and correcting both mechanical and human problems, sooner or later there will be a large-scale nuclear disaster as in Fukushima and Chernobyl..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts