Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got real lucky. Like I did with my MSS set, I managed to get in on the bidding of an ILBE at the
last minute in the wee hours of the morning and scored this one in new condition with a new lid,
no stains, no tears, no wear, no names written on it. It's in absolutely great condition in/out.
I haven't seen anything better for the money anywhere. Another freak purchase for me.
The pictures do not do it justice, but I'll post a few just to get you guys salivating.

Tony (Victor23 here) has a bunch of near new examples I understand. Get them before they disappear.
I can't find any like new anywhere and if you do managed to find one in similar condition,
they are asking 3X what Tony's asking for his ILBE's.

Anyway, here goes another project for me!

:D:

Reactions: nextup

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got lucky bidding on a complete main pack a while back... main pack, lid, belt, and radio pouch in very good to excellent condition for $45 with shipping, then lucked up on the assault pack for for $35 with shipping same condition .... the ilbe is coming down in price pretty fast...

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got lucky bidding on a complete main pack a while back... main pack, lid, belt, and radio pouch in very good to excellent condition for $45 with shipping, then lucked up on the assault pack for for $35 with shipping same condition .... the ilbe is coming down in price pretty fast...
That's ridonkulous! Damn! Very nice score. :D:
I got mine for $68. + shipping new.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to take off all the pouches then go as minimal as possible.
I'm going to target just under 40lbs w/food & water for a winter load out.
I put the Thermarest inside and packed everything vertically. Much slimmer
profile which I think will be better along with a better load distribution.

I thought about putting the bladder inside in a radio pouch for it's weight, but then
thought it didn't matter since I can go through 3L in a few hours easy anyway.
So, I'm going to go ahead and attache it to the high on the rear in the sleeve
once I get my hands on a hydration pouch for it.

Besides that, there's not much I really need to do with this pack. I'll pack a 19" ax on the left side
and a machete & folding saw on the right side webbing and that's it pretty much. I thought hard
about getting the Assault Pack, but my goodness this bag already can carry more than what I
need for multiple days I'd think.

The only other mods I'll do to it (besides the radio pouch and the hydration carrier) will be a
MARPAT Hydration Tube Cover, rain cover and USMC Dry Bag along with a shoulder pouch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The ilbe is a good solid pack imo. Its just too damn heavy. I paid around 125 150 for mine, and would never do it again. However, 68 is a pretty good deal.

I use mine for my true bugout/inch bag, but i have my hiking bag that i would take every time over it unless there was no coming back. At that point i would want the durability of the ilbe.

Whats the long pouch you have on the side?

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that's a good deal too... were did you get the cover for it? have been looking for one too...
I'll have to look it up. Very rare and hard to get in Woodland Camo,
BUT I've found them in MARPAT Woodland Digital. I'm going to get
one for the ILBE and transfer the Woodland Camo cover to a USGI
Assault Pack when I get one.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ilbe is a good solid pack imo. Its just too damn heavy. I paid around 125 150 for mine, and would never do it again. However, 68 is a pretty good deal.

I use mine for my true bugout/inch bag, but i have my hiking bag that i would take every time over it unless there was no coming back. At that point i would want the durability of the ilbe.

Whats the long pouch you have on the side?
Yeah. The surplus gods smiled upon me on this one.

And for what it can carry and for it's features?
It's right up there with the civy packs I've seen weight-wise.
When I do get a civy pack, I'm going to shoot for a <4lb range.
But that won't be a Survival/BOB pack. That'll be for recreational
camping. For Survival/BOB, I strongly prefer the heavier duty ILBE.

:D:

·
Registered
280 Posts
agree with ya on the durability, features, carrying capacity of the ilbe, it's one reasons I switched to it as my ghb /Bob considering my job can take me a 150 miles away from home on any given day and with winter coming on and having to pack for that also, am sure you get the picture .. as with anything there's always a trade off... personally, for a long trail prefer mil surp ... that's just me though ...

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agree with ya on the durability, features, carrying capacity of the ilbe, it's one reasons I switched to it as my ghb /Bob considering my job can take me a 150 miles away from home on any given day and with winter coming on and having to pack for that also, am sure you get the picture .. as with anything there's always a trade off... personally, for a long trail prefer mil surp ... that's just me though ...
Basically, a civilian pack with similar features (comparing apples to apples)
is going to weight within a pound or two of the ILBE. I can live with that.
I'm sure the Ultralites with similar features are going to be in the 4lb range,
but for a BOB, I just would rather have something bombproof & tested.

The closest thing I could see myself using in the civilian world and feeling
safe would be Arc'teryx LEAF, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch or anything in that field.
But then, now we're talking about packs that start at about 6 times as much.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Basically, a civilian pack with similar features (comparing apples to apples)
is going to weight within a pound or two of the ILBE. I can live with that.
I'm sure the Ultralites with similar features are going to be in the 4lb range,
but for a BOB, I just would rather have something bombproof & tested.

The closest thing I could see myself using in the civilian world and feeling
safe would be Arc'teryx LEAF, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch or anything in that field.
But then, now we're talking about packs that start at about 6 times as much.
When I was in the market for a new pack, this was one of the ones I was considering. At the time, I was using the CFP90 pack which I was somewhat unhappy with, I was worried about the durability of the slide the straps were on (which was the weakpoint of the pack) and it was too skinny for my liking. The ones I saw were all beat to heck, missing parts, tears, and they were still wanting $200 for it so I passed up on them. Not much is immune to marine use :thumb:. I ended up trading my CFP90 (which was in excellent shape) for a Blackhawk SOF ruck. Guy wanted the CFP90 since thats what he had during his stint in the military.

I agree that the ILBE is a bit heavy but most of it is good weight especially with durability but its nothing compared to the SOF weight. But if you can get the components minus the day pack for sub-$100, you got yourself one fantastic pack. That was designed by Arc'Teryx, if I'm not mistaken

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
bunch of boots. lol. We replaced the ILBE for a reason. It sucks! I can't wait to stop by CIF and swap out my ILBE for the new pack. At least I hope this new pack works better...certainly couldn't get much worse. I seriously would rather hike with a seabag over the ILBE.

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I was in the market for a new pack, this was one of the ones I was considering. At the time, I was using the CFP90 pack which I was somewhat unhappy with, I was worried about the durability of the slide the straps were on (which was the weakpoint of the pack) and it was too skinny for my liking. The ones I saw were all beat to heck, missing parts, tears, and they were still wanting $200 for it so I passed up on them. Not much is immune to marine use :thumb:. I ended up trading my CFP90 (which was in excellent shape) for a Blackhawk SOF ruck. Guy wanted the CFP90 since thats what he had during his stint in the military.

I agree that the ILBE is a bit heavy but most of it is good weight especially with durability but its nothing compared to the SOF weight. But if you can get the components minus the day pack for sub-$100, you got yourself one fantastic pack. That was designed by Arc'Teryx, if I'm not mistaken
I like the CFP-90. My exterior pouch set-up is similar to the CFP-90
(long pouch on the right, small/medium pouch on the left).

Because The Corps has a new pack on the way, good, solid, clean ILBE's
are going to be found at great prices online. And for $100., you can't get
anything better than an ILBE IMO.

And yes. Basically, an ILBE is an Arc'teryx Bora 95 on steroids,
manufactured by Propper for The Corps.

:)

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bunch of boots. lol. We replaced the ILBE for a reason. It sucks! I can't wait to stop by CIF and swap out my ILBE for the new pack. At least I hope this new pack works better...certainly couldn't get much worse. I seriously would rather hike with a seabag over the ILBE.
LOL! Sucks for "what"? Uh, we're not going to be humping mortar rounds in them!

The new packs are going to be ALICE-type packs
(yep! you read that right! ALICE!)
with MOLLE II set-ups by PM-ICE.

They've taken the best of the ILBE/ALICE/MOLLE II Packs for
the new ones. They are being sold now to the public for $450.

·
Registered
280 Posts
will try to keep this short ... did quite a bit of packing in my younger day's, mostly with my Alice but did try a few civi packs back then ... haven't done much since 98 when I broke my back, the Alice got retired pretty quick, couldn't handle how it rode on me with any weight ... tried some civi, same problem ... figured unless I got a high end special made was out of luck ... well back this past June was visiting some family in west Virginia, was going to do some week long camping and fishing ... from the house to the campsite it's about 3miles by the access road or closer to 8 if you take the game trails past couple yrs have been carrying just a small day pack with some water and a little food, all the camping gear goes up with the rest of the family in the trucks ... well one of my cousin's had an ilbe an got me to carry, granted it was lite bout 25lb, but the way it conformed to my back was great ... the end of the week I packed about 40 lbs from the campsite back to the house taking the trails ... again, granted not a long way, but for me 40lbs+8 miles and very little to no pain other than not being used to it.... am sure for the soldiers carrying full gear with armor it probably sucks ... but for me it's a good pack ... and as I and others have said, backpacks are a personal thing, same as gun's ...find one you're comfortable with and go with it ...

·
force multiplier
258 Posts
LOL! Sucks for "what"? Uh, we're not going to be humping mortar rounds in them!

The new packs are going to be ALICE-type packs
(yep! you read that right! ALICE!)
with MOLLE II set-ups by PM-ICE.

They've taken the best of the ILBE/ALICE/MOLLE II Packs for
the new ones. They are being sold now to the public for $450.
This is really an exciting pack. Mystery Ranch helped design the FILBE. I like it better than anything the military has put out since the ALICE. I can see myself actually getting one of these fairly soon; but not until the price starts coming down. Can't wait for it to hit the surplus market in real numbers.

Here's a few links:

Video of Dana Gleason talking about the features of the pack

http://www.defensenews.com/VideoNetwork/1188786359001/MDM-11-New-Marine-Corps-FILBE-Pack

Two articles talking about the FILBE

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/09/19/usmc-awards-filbe-pack-contract-to-eagle-and-propper-and-mystery-ranch/#more

http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/05/marine-new-usmc-pack-search-complete-051611w/

Contractors for the pack are Eagle Industries and Propper. MR states they will be offering commercial versions of the pack in the near future. That IMHO will be the pack to have. You'll be able to use either the NICE frame or the 1606AC.

Regards

Rod

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just took off all the exterior pouches last night.
I really don't need them. Slipped the Source Bladder
into the sleeve on the exterior rear and that's it.
It's done.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts