Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an ILBE Pack that I've used for hiking, and it came with the Assault Pack and hydration system bladder. My question is, how do I properly attach the Assault Pack and bladder to the main pack? And second, if I have a military 3-level sleeping bag (with cold bag, very cold bag, and water-proof cover), how should I properly stow that with this bag - straps, or inside the ILBE itself? Or should I get a different sleeping bag?

If someone with such a pack could use pictures or maybe a Youtube video, I'd appreciate it. I've been looking around the internet to no avail on how to set this up.

Thanks!

·
Average Joe
2,654 Posts
Generally a sleeping bag is stored in the sleeping bag compartment within the ILBE. They named it the sleeping bag compartment for a reason.

You can use the shovel pocket on the pack to hold the assault pack- just tighten the straps down on your assault pack and it'll work fine.

I generally put the hydration bladder in the top pouch, so I can access it easily and it also makes drinking all the water out of it a bit easier, and shortens the distance the hose has to reach.

·
Survivor
5,533 Posts
They are pretty flexible how you mount things, TDF mentioned the best bladder location IMHO. Below is how one guy did the pack.

But it can done differently

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Generally a sleeping bag is stored in the sleeping bag compartment within the ILBE. They named it the sleeping bag compartment for a reason.

You can use the shovel pocket on the pack to hold the assault pack- just tighten the straps down on your assault pack and it'll work fine.

I generally put the hydration bladder in the top pouch, so I can access it easily and it also makes drinking all the water out of it a bit easier, and shortens the distance the hose has to reach.
When I got it, it didn't have any instructions, so I just guessed at putting my sleeping bag in there. Looks like I got that right. I'm getting the 65L compression dry bag to help out a bit in there.

That flap on the outer back is the "shovel pocket" ? I had used that for the hydration bladder on my last trip, but I guess up top works too. I'll stick it there next trip. I kept my top pouch zipped up, and the hose worked okay in the flap, but if there's a better spot, I'm all for it. I just want to make sure it's secure and doesn't fall all over the place when I'm hiking.

There are two shallow pockets on either side, where I had stored a machete and axe. Do those have a 'standard' function?

·
Registered
55 Posts
SIde pockets

The side pockets are to "bottom out "Mortar tubes" they strap to the outside of the pack. I use thin wall drain pipe to make supply tubes for my tent poles and arrows very light and effective you can also store grains (rice, beans, seeds etc. for long term or short term use. They also make excellent water carrying vessels)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I bought one and it can be tricky to set up, that thing has straps everywhere.
Paste this link in your browser, there are a bunch of videos that will guide you.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=ilbe%20pack%20assembly&sm=1

Some people say they cut straps off they think they don't need, I don't agree with that. If you get one of those skinny inner tubes from the old ten speed bikes, cut it into 1 inch pieces, you can roll up the straps you aren't using right then and use them to keep them rolled up.

Once you get used to it it won't be suck a pain in the ass, that pack rocks.
The mortar pockets have straps above them that hold a shotgun just perfectly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts