Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
death is the road to awe
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever someone frets about the erosion of personal freedoms in our modern society, such as in the steady proliferation of surveillance cameras in public places, the stock answer, which is one I read all too often in my e-mail, is:

"If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

People who say this are fools, not to be too blunt about it. Not only are they willing to trade away my rights, since they haven't a basic appreciation of theirs, but their understanding of the relationship between government and the governed is one of subservience based on fear, and the idea that their fear is not only natural, but justifiably permanent given the state of the world.

Thus, we should all be fearful, all of the time. We should empower government to do whatever it feels necessary to protect us. The unquestioning nature of this logic not only institutionalizes fear, it makes it a patriotic duty. And the good citizen, the one who has done nothing wrong, will have nothing to worry about.

Oh, yeah?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/done+nothing+wrong+have+everything+worry+about/2250766/story.html

"If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about." I here this a lot from people makes my blood boil :mad:

·
dirty vegan hippie
429 Posts
Government surveillance for not scooping poop? For putting out your trash too early? What?

See, I'm not really very paranoid about this kind of thing, but that's why I'm always just a little worried, because I don't always act perfectly normal, and there's not really a reason for it, but people always seem to assume there has to be a significant reason for everything, and I sometimes feel like I look suspicious when I'm not even doing anything wrong. D: It's really annoying.
But I was doing a search just now and I found this article, http://www.newstartmag.co.uk/news/article/government-action-to-halt-misuse-of-surveillance-laws/ so that's nice to know.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
We are approaching a brink where unchecked government officials will pose a statistically higher threat to an individual citizen's freedoms and liberties than a terrorist. I dont know the numbers, but I assume that your odds of having your rights violated by an "official" is a whole lot worse than being killed by a terrorist.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Once you open the door

They will just come on in whenever they want. We see it all the time. Ya its great when its a drug dealer that they nail. (even though bleeding hearts will say ohh that they had it bad they need to get out early or something like that). But then they turn it one good people just doing something that they had no idea that becasue of some stupid law that they never heard about now its illegal. So they get busted when they know they are not trying to do anything wrong its just we have to its the law. Smurk ha ha to bad Attitude.
Our system was made so people had right to persuit of happiness not lets feed a bigger government.

936 Posts
A friendly word from Big Brother:

Dear Citizens,

You can't just have people out in the world doing whatever they want. They must be monitored for the safety of society. If we place cameras at every street corner, imagine how many government jobs will be created for those who will analyze the videos. Don't you want to stimulate the economy? If just ONE life is saved by these cameras, isn't it all worth it?

You can do a lot of the work for us by turning in your neighbors, friends, and family if you even suspect they are doing anything illegal. If we all watch each other closely, we'll all be safer for it.

And besides, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Sincerely,

Big Brother

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
"If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

That would work "fine" IF those in charge truly had every ones well being as a foundation. As as it being completely opposite is the rule we have a lot to worry about.

Also:

When it went from the average person being innocent till proven guilty to being guilty till proven innocent.
And for the LEO innocent till proven guilty plus a criminal offense to film a LEO committing a crime.

Woke my butt up....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds almost like you are advocating commiting crime. Just because someone is not a trouble maker does not mean they are going to give up their rights. Your rights always have a chance at being taken away. As far as the guilty/innocent factor, nothing has changed. Tho government may make stupid decisions that do not make any sense, decisions that can cost people in a monetary or liberty value, but those decisions can always be undone.
I am not fearful all the time. Nor will I ever be. I do have fears. But I will not sit and be fearful of something that may never happen. Being a C/O I deal with convicted felons 40+ hours a week. They made their choices, they lost their rights. Even when they get out, they still have limited rights. I feel its fair. They did do something wrong, and they do have something to worry about. I appreciate the rights I have, not because they were given to me, but because I earned them by not creating victims. The only thing I need to worry about is the government making a foolish decision that somehow creates an inconvenience to me and my family. Other than that I have my own issues to deal with. Issues created by me, that I, as an individual, need to handle. Like paying bills, raising a family...ect. The truly paranoid will probably chime in, say I will be one of the first to fall.. yadda yadda yadda. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sounds almost like you are advocating commiting crime. Just because someone is not a trouble maker does not mean they are going to give up their rights. Your rights always have a chance at being taken away. As far as the guilty/innocent factor, nothing has changed. Tho government may make stupid decisions that do not make any sense, decisions that can cost people in a monetary or liberty value, but those decisions can always be undone.
I am not fearful all the time. Nor will I ever be. I do have fears. But I will not sit and be fearful of something that may never happen. Being a C/O I deal with convicted felons 40+ hours a week. They made their choices, they lost their rights. Even when they get out, they still have limited rights. I feel its fair. They did do something wrong, and they do have something to worry about. I appreciate the rights I have, not because they were given to me, but because I earned them by not creating victims. The only thing I need to worry about is the government making a foolish decision that somehow creates an inconvenience to me and my family. Other than that I have my own issues to deal with. Issues created by me, that I, as an individual, need to handle. Like paying bills, raising a family...ect. The truly paranoid will probably chime in, say I will be one of the first to fall.. yadda yadda yadda. We'll see.
So, that's how we get rights, we earn them? :rolleyes:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
with all die respect (none earned) to my Govt
If I have done nothing wrong ----

then why are you prying and violating my rights?
git outta mah face

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
8 years ago, I got pulled over by a young California Hwy Patrol officer. He was rather snotty and rude. I kept my cool and kept my hands on the steering wheel. He got around to this question; "do you mind if I search your vehicle?". I said NO, I don't never consent to a search. He said, "well if you don't have anything to hide, why not".

I said but I DO have something to hide, MY PRIVACY.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I started a thread about our electronic footprint and how easy it is to follow someone if the govt. wanted to. Many people said if your not doing anything wrong than why worry. That was not the point the point was to let people know that if the govt wanted to it has the means on mass tracking.
I am worried that every cel phone call i make is trackable.
I am worried that within a month of moving the internet had my new location. I am worried that the govt over steps its authority.
I am worried that my freedoms are subject to change.
I am worried that my personal rights will be negated for the good of all.
I am worried that our govt sold out the working class.
I am worried that I can not be FREE and live the life i want.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree that if I haven't done anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about.
HOWEVER. That does not mean that I will answer questions willy nilly or let unauthorized people onto or into any property I have a say in.
I am certainly not stupid - YouTube Don't Talk to the Cops.. it's a 2 part video by a lawyer and a high ranking police officer. There are only two things I will ever say to a cop when first approached: "Name and badge number." and "No comment."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts