Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK so here is the deal. I'm the landlord, those are my pre qualifying questions to view my properties. I posted this to see if anyone thought I was being unreasonable. I've lost count of the number of potential tenants who just stop communicating as soon as I ask for that information. Thanks for your input.
My guess is that you're getting a lot of felons who are scared off by the question, assuming it's a hard no. If you're flexible on that, you can make that clearer by giving them a chance to explain. Change that question to say "If yes, when, what, etc." and leave a little more room for an answer.

I just googled it and there are something like 24 million felons in America - nearly 10%, and when you factor out children and add the fact that felons will take longer to get on the path to home ownership, you're looking at a pretty significant chunk of the rental market.

obviously, it's going to vary regionally, but holy cow, I was surprised at that number

·
Generator Wrangler
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Do you nanny landlords provide YOUR info to the prospective tenant so they can assess your slumlord proclivities and suitability as a landlord?
Really it's no different then the concept of providing information when you finance a car or otherwise borrow money from a lending institution. Is the bank being a nanny when the size of the loan depends on the income of the applicant? Is the bank being a nanny when they require the applicant to have an income at all?

You're not one of those antifas who thinks there is a "imbalance of the power dynamic" between landlords and tenants are you?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As a landlord, I tell them they need 3 times the rent in income. I tell them they will pay for a background check and that I do not care what their credit score is. I tell them if they don't pay the rent, I will see them in court.

It has worked very well since July of 2017.

The most functional part is telling them about the background check.
you do know there is a moratorium on evictions, right?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Fortunately in my state there is a limit to the number of tenants that a landlord must rent to based on the number of bedrooms.

Ever ran in to the situation of an "emotional support" animal? Apparently pitbulls are very supportive of humans. I swear that the pitbull breed would go extinct if not for people who rent houses.
i believe in my state it is also based on the square footage per person as a board of health issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's terrible some people never learn, my husband is a felon he was convicted of murder he didn't do it he was just there and didn't tell so when the cops arrested everyone he got nabbed as well, he was 16 at time and had horrible lawer, but he has a clean record for almost 40 years so he one that learned the lesson thank god

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Do you nanny landlords provide YOUR info to the prospective tenant so they can assess your slumlord proclivities and suitability as a landlord?
Really it's no different then the concept of providing information when you finance a car or otherwise borrow money from a lending institution. Is the bank being a nanny when the size of the loan depends on the income of the applicant? Is the bank being a nanny when they require the applicant to have an income at all?

You're not one of those antifas who thinks there is a "imbalance of the power dynamic" between landlords and tenants are you?
Would you fill out a credit app BEFORE you test drive a car or even see the inside ? I wouldn’t.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
That's terrible some people never learn, my husband is a felon he was convicted of murder he didn't do it he was just there and didn't tell so when the cops arrested everyone he got nabbed as well, he was 16 at time and had horrible lawer, but he has a clean record for almost 40 years so he one that learned the lesson thank god
I think most reasonable people would consider the age of the felony. Somebody with one felony who hasn’t had a felony in 40 years is prolly a better bet than a 25 year old with no convictions ... yet.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,172 Posts
Folks curious about land lord tenant rights should watch a weeks worth of Peoples Court.

It is an eye opener as to the sort of people who rent and those who are landlords. I was surprised how many landlords are clueless of the local laws, even renting out illegal units. Not surprised at the number of dead beat tenants who tear up rentals. Hint, get it in writing, take pictures before and after.

·
Suffering Your Stupidity
8,122 Posts
In my younger years of life I moved a lot and rented as a result. I've rented many types of properties and had many types of landlords. One thing that I learned early on is to interview the landlord, same as I learned to do to prospective employers, so as to weed out the issues up front. Any landlord that won't answer questions about themselves is a 100% no go for me but this system isn't foolproof since most lie on some level. I know this to be a fact because I've caught landlords in lies, years later, in how they represented themselves. But yeah, interview your potential landlord just like they interview you. And whatever you do, never rent from a landlord who is paying a mortgage on any (not just the one you're renting) property because those buttheads are the most likely to be strung out for cash with no money put aside for repairs/upkeep and God forbid you are ever a second late on that rent when they have a mortgage payment due! I've always been a good tenant myself, paid on time, fixed minor things myself, never a problem in any way but I've seen what a landlord will do to tenants when they feel slighted and it's not pretty.

Now to answer the OP's question....NO....I would never give a landlord any personal info besides my name and phone number before viewing a property. If you asked me those questions prior to showing me your property, or as a condition to view your property, then I would not call/email you back. This is WAY too forward of you. Remember that this is a two way relationship - you need the tenant as much as they need you - treat them with the same respect you yourself expect.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
OK so here is the deal. I'm the landlord, those are my pre qualifying questions to view my properties. I posted this to see if anyone thought I was being unreasonable. I've lost count of the number of potential tenants who just stop communicating as soon as I ask for that information. Thanks for your input.
Then those questions are doing there job...weeding out the tire kickers and time wasters.

You should also do a credit check that the tenant pays for and if passes your minimum it would come off the first months rent.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Folks curious about land lord tenant rights should watch a weeks worth of Peoples Court.

It is an eye opener as to the sort of people who rent and those who are landlords. I was surprised how many landlords are clueless of the local laws, even renting out illegal units. Not surprised at the number of dead beat tenants who tear up rentals. Hint, get it in writing, take pictures before and after.
I think alot of landlords are just people who have been willed a house and give it a go..then get one bad tenant, takes way longer than needed to remove them. At this point there hurting for money and find the next deadbeat tenant and the cycle continues until they sell the house while telling people "never again".

One thing to get streight is a tennant will NEVER treat your property like you would. Also never rent to family or friends.

I'm going on 9 yrs with 2 dif tenants and never had any issues nor did I ever need to list the place for rent. Simply word of mouth. I always had someone lined up prior to the previous tennant moving out.

With all this being said and they way Covid tennant laws are now in my state I would leave the place empty.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,172 Posts
I think alot of landlords are just people who have been willed a house and give it a go..then get one bad tenant, takes way longer than needed to remove them. At this point there hurting for money and find the next deadbeat tenant and the cycle continues until they sell the house while telling people "never again".

One thing to get streight is a tennant will NEVER treat your property like you would. Also never rent to family or friends.

I'm going on 9 yrs with 2 dif tenants and never had any issues nor did I ever need to list the place for rent. Simply word of mouth. I always had someone lined up prior to the previous tennant moving out.

With all this being said and they way Covid tennant laws are now in my state I would leave the place empty.
There have been so many folks trying to enforce "squatters rights" that I would be very hesitent in renting to anyone. It is increasingly hard to evict people and frankly folks today are so filled with entitlement that it is an uphill battle to get them to see the error in their ways. A lot of it is the reality show mentality. They think being an ******* is the ticket to success. If they waste money and can't pay bills, they make a go fund me account and tell a sob story. Their pitbull could not possibly have torn up the walls or eaten that baby because "It is so sweet".

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RKW

·
Possum Lover
15,292 Posts
The last tenant next door is a good example of entitled. I live in a nice,middle-class subdivision with modest deed restrictions.

The tenant snuck in after his baby mama was approved to rent the house, her, the toddler, the teenage girl only. He showed up about a week later. He brought 50 weed whackers, several lawnmowers, a hoard of furniture which he left outside as convenient rat nesting places, etc. Huge tire on the front lawn. Not for exercise just for hoarding. He had several illegals move in the "extra" bedroom. I would see them standing around talking in the yard, late at night, smoking pot.

His hoarding got worse and worse, all night parties with loud karaoke at 3 am, etc. We kept begging the land lady to evict them, but they were section 8 and it was "guaranteed" money every month. I begged her to at least come out and do an inspection. She did and I could hear her screaming from inside my house.

She started the eviction process which apparently took over a year? At one point right before he left the guy stood in his hoarded yard, looking around the neighborhood, and said, totally deadpan "This neighborhood has really gone downhill since I moved in". No ****. You ruined it.

One GOOD neighbor was so angry seeing the trash all over the yard every day when he made the turn onto our street, every day, after work that he moved out and rented HIS house to section 8 tenants, who have been even more drama but doesn't affect me as much as they are further down the street.

So one owner, one lousy tenant, and the neighborhood is on the fast slide to the gutter.

Reactions: RKW

·
Combat marxism Now!
7,952 Posts
I just rented a very nice house (a crash pad really) In PA. I paid 6 months rent up front, as competition was fierce. Plus security and last months rent. Total, $15k up front.

I’m sure it’s “unfair” to others, but the landlord is thrilled. And I have a nice place to stay when up in PA. I’ll pay the remaining 5 months rent up front at the 5 month mark. That way the landlord is never short of funds and I get to stay without them selling the house out from under me.

That’s what happened last time as the owner sold it and I left early. Contract allowed it. I suppose they could refund my money if the house sells, but I’m hoping they feel obligated.

Part of the problem is that I am a neat/clean freak and I’m not here in PA much. So I spend time cleaning and repairing the house. It then shows very well, and I’m not there to get in the way of realtors, and it sells fast.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts