Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Indefatigable
20,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't your standard bread and butter pickles, but if you are a pickle fan - you need to try this. I made my first quart this weekend and we tried it just a few minutes ago. Very hard to put down the jar and fork. I hesitated when I saw the last ingredient, don't. The combination of flavors is perfect.

BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

6 cucumbers, sliced @1/2 thick
1 large sweet onion, quartered and sliced @1/4” thick
½ cup salt
Place the cucumbers and onion in a large glass bowl, coat well with the salt and let set at room temp for 2 hours. Rinse well under cold water and drain, rinse the bowl too and return the cucumber and onion to it. Add the torn leaves of one bunch of celery and set aside.
In a small sauce pan combine the following ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of ground fenugreek
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 teaspoon of brown mustard seeds
8 allspice berries
1-1/2 cups of cider vinegar
1 cup of sugar
¼ cup of maple syrup
Bring to a rapid boil, stirring well to dissolve all the sugar and then pour over the vegetables. Stir to coat and let them set another 2 hours at room temp. Place into a glass jar with a lid. Place it in the refrigerator and shake it a few times each day, over the course of the next 2 days. Your pickles are then ready to eat and will keep for an additional 7 days (like they are going to last that long LOL) in the refrigerator. Makes one quart.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Many thanks!

Reactions: Jojo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts