Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets say the public was given a 1 week notice before the start of a major global conflict. Rarely does that kind of advance knowledge leak out to the public. For the sake of discussion lets say for once the public knows what is going to happen a week ahead of time.

One of the incidents I am referring to is the leak that Israel may attack Iran during Yum Kippor.

I have been hearing various rumors for over 2 decades, so I take them with a grain of salt and keep living life.

The word has leaked out, you do a review of your survival gear stockpile, now what?

What does your water stockpile look like?
What does your ammunition stockpile look like?
What does your fuel stockpile look like?
What about seeds for your long term survival garden, communications, livestock, livestock feed, firearms, propane,,, and other preps.

Firearms

If you do not have your firearm and ammunition stockpile ready before SHTF, do not count on accumulating supplies after SHTF.

Lets say you had a 1 week notice, what would you buy? Would you buy ammunition, and sacrifice resources to buy food, water, livestock feed, fuel,,,?

Even if you have money to buy ammunition, what makes you think there is going to be anything on the shelves?

Would you rather buy ammunition, food, water, food for the livestock?

My 13 chickens (hens, no roosters) go through a 50 pound bag of laying mash every two weeks. For the price of 200 pounds of laying mash (4 – 50 pound bags), which would last around 2 months, I could buy 100 rounds of Federal 223 Remington.

Would you rather have 2 months of eggs, or would you rather have 100 rounds of 223 Remington?

Then there is the waiting period and permits that some sates have setup. Even if you wanted to buy a firearm, would you have enough time to go through the waiting period, background check, and permit application period?

Food

Food and water will some of the first items to disappear off the shelf. Under normal levels of purchasing, grocery stores have about 2 – 3 days worth if food. Most grocery stores get shipments in everyday. When panic buying kicks in, the grocery stores will be cleaned out in a matter of hours. A good example of this panic buying is when a hurricane is approaching the Continental United States. People will go into a panic buying frenzy.

The first food items to disappear are the popular types of food that most people eat – milk, bread, dairy, dried pasta, canned pasta, rice, beans, chili, canned meats, tuna fish,,,,.

The last things to disappear are the less popular types of food, such as sardines, canned olives, canned fish (besides tuna),,, stuff that the majority of the people do not eat.

Water

Bottled water is a popular food item that will disappear quickly. With that in mind, what are your water solutions for a long term SHTF / TEOTWAWKI situation?

My long term water solution is a water well with a pitcher pump on top of it. A one week notice is not very much time to drill the well. Its not that a well takes “that” long to drill, its a matter of getting the supplies, such as a screened drivepoint, getting people together to help drive the well,,, and so on.

Without access to safe drinking water, live as we know it can not exist. As water goes, so goes society. The quality of society will be no greater then the water the society has access to.

There are two things that facilitate modern society, one is electricity, the other is safe drinking water.

Fuel

If you had one week notice, how much fuel would you buy? Surely you would gas up your truck, car or SUV. But what about fuels like kerosene and propane?

Would you buy a bunch of 1 pound propane bottles, or a couple of 20 pound propane bottles? Would you sacrifice money that could be used for food to buy propane and kerosene?

Generators are a short term solution to a long term problem. With that in mind, would you buy a lot of fuel for the generator?

The question I have to ask myself, is kerosene and propane more important then food and water? Every dollar spent on fuel leaves less money for food.

I have around a dozen one pound bottles of propane, and two 20 pound bottles of propane that are used for crawfish boils. Then I have an adapter that connects a 20 pound bottle of propane to a coleman stove.

What about liquid stove fuel? Why stockpile liquid fuel for your stove instead of propane?

Seeds / Garden Supplies

Do your long term survival plans include growing your own food? If so, what kind of seeds do you have stockpiled?

If you had a one week notice, what kind of seeds would you stockpile? Would you buy beans, corn, greens, melons, squash, zucchini, spinach,,,?

Surely you already have some kind of seed stockpile for SHTF? Would you review that stockpile then go from there?

What kind of plants would you focus on? Grains, corn, greens, melons,,,, or something else?

My seed stockpile focuses on beans, peas, greens, squash, zucchini, corn, melons and a few other odds and ends.

If I had a one week notice, I would head down to the local feed and fertilizer store, buy a couple 50 pound bags of 13-13-13 fertilizer, a bunch of peas, beans, squash, zucchini, onions, spinach,,, just a mixture of nutrient rich food.

My dad has a tractor at the camp. If I had a one week notice, I would probably fuel the tractor up with diesel. This would allow my family and I to plow the fields for at least 1 full year, maybe 2 years.

Why work the fields with hand tools when you have access to a tractor?

The fertilizer, seeds and tractor are all part of a long term survival plan - work the fields, fertilize, plant the seeds, harvest.

Livestock

Besides the garden, there are the livestock. Between February – March 2012 my wife and I bought 13 hens. At around 7 months old, those 13 hens are laying between 6 – 10 eggs a day. Eggs are an excellent source of fats and protein.

If I had a one week warning, I would probably buy 200 pounds (4 – 50 pound bags) of laying crumbles, a couple bags of hen scratch, 50 pound of oats and a couple of bags of ground oyster shells. The oyster shells help strengthen the egg shells.

Besides the chicken feed, I might buy several hundred feet of 1x2 inch fence wire. This would allow my family and I to build a secure chicken pen. For fence post we would use small pine trees.

The chicken coop my wife and I built is wide enough to load on a trailer. If we have to bug out to the camp, my wife and I can load the chicken coop on the trailer and take it with us. Thus the need for a secure chicken pen.

Worse comes to worse, my family and I head to the camp, setup the chicken coop along with the chicken yard, plow the fields, spread the fertilizer, plant the seeds, get a rooster from my cousin, let the chickens do their thing while the crops are growing.

I would love to have some goats, but is one week notice enough time? There are always ads in the local paper from people wanting to sell goats. But if they had the same notice that you had, would they sell their goats? If I knew some kind of SHTF situation was about to happen, there is no way I would sell my chickens.

Communications

A buddy of mine and I were talking about buying some hand-held radios. These radios would be useful for short range communications, but what about long range?

If you had a one week notice, would you buy a ham-radio, cb radio, talk to your family and friends about your plans and disregard communications?

FEMA recommends that people agree on someone outside the affected area to act as a communications liaison. That is fine and dandy for region disasters. This article is discussing something on a world wide level.

Unless you want to get into HAM radios, let your friends and family know your primary and backup plans. If a family member were to show up at your house, and you were not home, where would you likely be at?

In the grand scheme of things, I think smart phones have been overlooked. Smart phones are popular for texting, making calls and internet access. An overlooked feature is the the mini-HDMI port for streaming video to TVs. But to stream video from a smart phone to a TV, you will need a micro-HDMI port to standard size HDMI.

When the power grid goes down, most communication towers have propane powered backup generators. These backup generators allow cellphones to operate for an amount of time after the main power grid goes down. This means smart phones may be able to access the internet and send messages when other forms of communication go down.

What would I do if I had 1 week notice? I already have a hand powered cell phone charger, so I might look into a couple of hand-held radios, or maybe a 12 volt CB radio.

But then again, every penny spent on a temporary communications device is less money for food, water, seeds, and feed for the livestock.

Conclusion

This article is meant to be a point of discussion. If you and some of your buddies were sitting around a camp fire talking about possible SHTF situations, hopefully yall might talk about some of the points included in this article.

Because long term survival plans are so varied, I doubt there is a perfect answer. Review your plans, or better yet, have a friend review your plans. Figure out the weak spots, areas that may need improving and go from there.

·
Camperius maximus
2,347 Posts
If the anounce ment came out right now, I would be set for water, we have 3 ponds and a Corps of engineer lake. As far as what I would buy? I would get all of my money out of the bank. Then buy as many round of ammo as I could find. That wouldn't be much this close to hunting season. Then I would have enough to buy another fuel tank and fill it with deisel, if I have nothing else, I want my tractor to run. Then hit the auction and buy cattle, goats, and any other livestock I can feed hay and weeds to. I have a new hobby of getting into Ham radio. But know where I can find one, I just discovered a guy in town that has one, I might be able to barter for.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Obviously it would depend on the scenario. If it were a total collapse type of situation I'd max out every credit card I had on preps and tell my friends and family to do the same.

Obviously I would want to buy food, gas, ammo, and all that. Of course it would depend on availability and those are items that will be in popular demand by even the non-preppers. Id get as many batteries as I could get. Fishing gear. One thing I'd do that maybe everyone else wouldn't think of is I'd pickup a bunch of water bobs and fill them up at my bol.

·
trapper
1,781 Posts
well, I already have a pitcher pump, chickens, not a ton of ammo, 500+ rds for MBR, 1500 22lr 500rds for long gun plus reloading supplies. garden is already in and canned, would like to get a cow or two. traps are waxed and dyed, got some small solar lights and solar battery chargers, it wouldn't be fun but I think we could make it with few incidences. not bugging out staying put.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The wife and I would buy the trailer we have been thinking about (on credit of course). Then load our stuff in it and head to my parent's farm. We have about a month's worth of food and plenty of weapons and ammo. Need more water, but if we can get to the farm, they have a natural spring that they draw their water from.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,722 Posts
Well, if everyone knew at once then wide spread panic would just move the SHTF date by a week because society would collapse at that point. If only a few people knew and I was one of them it would be a different story.

Everyone knows: activate our EOP immediately.
Just me: I would gather the Clan and go from there. Probably review everyone's supplies and then fill where possible.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a sawyer .02 micron water filter and both a creek and the Clinch river within walking distance. my job is also within walking distance but its a hospital so I would be wary. I have the 5 guns you should have for SHTF, Shottie, bolt rifle, 22 rifle 2 hand guns and a battle rifle and assorted blades from pocket knife to a machete. There are mountains and ridge lines also within walking distance with small and med and large game. Straight up the things I would buy would be ammo and non perishable food. I have a wood stove to cook on and stay warm. I would then try to encourage the local small town leaders to close off all or as many roads into town as possible and organize a local town millitia/defense

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
I would imagine that if word got out that the S was about to HTF, the S would HTF.

Lets say a nuclear exchange is emminent. Panic buying would be so bad nation wide, it wouldnt really matter if the actual event happened or not.

I dont count on being able to get anything during a panic, there for, I prep.

But for the sake of the thread, I`d say Kerosene for heat, and max out the credit cards on non-perishable food. Canned goods and the like. Could be a long, cold winter.

·
Beyond the grid!
698 Posts
For myself water preps would take priority, followed closely by more solar & batteries. Then if time & resources permit, a greenhouse.
Defensive & food procurement armory & communications are taken care of.

·
Banned
807 Posts
if i got the warning right now i would call dad (im a college man) and ask him to wire me money for a couple of ARs and some ammo, got buy as much ammo for all my guns i can and then BUG OUT NOW, get to my BOL and start stocking up and securing everything i could

·
Super Moderator
12,162 Posts
Load up my supplies and equipment, head for the BOL at my brothers.

Have him buy as much canned meat and fruit as he can get his hands on until the available supply is gone.

Buy as much sugar and salt (table & curing) that he can find until the supply is gone.

Buy a hand pump and needed parts for his well.

Buy seeds for three years for the garden spot. Pick up any tools lacking from his set for gardening.

Buy a couple 20-gallon/100 pound propane tanks and as large a stationary propane tank we could get with a wet-leg and get it filled.

Get his fireplace ready for use.

Lay in a stock of firewood and a couple of chainsaws and ancilliary gear to get more.

I don't think gasoline or diesel would be available so I wouldn't worry about that other than filling all the vehicles and fuel cans that we have. No major tanks or anything.

Add as much comfort food as possible.

With the rest of available money, buy appropriate ammunition, plus gold and silver bullion coins that can be had.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Fuel
I always keep one propane tank full but I'd top off the other and my 50gal Y2K gas tank hasn't been full for a few years now so I'd get that filled also.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Besides the chicken feed, I might buy several hundred feet of 1x2 inch fence wire. This would allow my family and I to build a secure chicken pen. For fence post we would use small pine trees.
Don't forget to include fencing staples.

Ours would be:
Finish our water collection project and get it filled up,

more food for people and livestock.

Pray

(not necessarily in this order).

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
But we may only get a couple of days.
While this may be true, we could also get ZERO warning. That could be the case in numerous very plausible ways, from a killer asteroid,to the Yellowstone Caldera going ballistic, to an EMP attack. Also, the S could HTF, but nobody realize that's what's happening until we're fully enveloped by it, as in another financial crash like in '08-'09,only this time it just keeps on spiralling down.
But to answer Kev's premise, I feel respectably well prepped ( for my available space and financial standing). I'd probably grab some more propane tanks,get a solar AA battery charger. If we were truly SURE this was coming, I think I'd blow the money on a bunch of sandbags and start with some fortifications. I'd definately make a big Sams run.
The hard part would be convincing some family members to use the weeks' notice prudently.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Um.... Pretty much all set. Maybe just pick up a few odds and ends but would definitely go to the town office and pay a years worth of property taxes.

·
It's Survival Of
1,977 Posts
Gather the troops, Max out credit cards on Food, Fuel and Ammo, Then make the trip(s) to the BOL and stock it fully, leave women and kids to defend BOL and go for a second or third round of stock up.

Given a weeks notice, that's a lot of time to set up things I only expect to hours to do. It allows us to be a lot more creative, gather a lot more supplies and do a little predisaster scouting. If we lock down right away, and then sit back and watch, we'll get an idea of who is getting what, and that will tell us their general level of preparedness. For example if you are grabbing anything within arms reach, you aint prepared and you don't stand a chance. while others may be going just for ammo. You'll likely want to stay away from those folks because they're likely the shoot first and ask questions later.

A week of warning is a week of recon for me! It's enough time to get settled in, survey who is staying and who is leaving, and get an idea of peoples preparedness. The main road in and out of the town doesn't really connect any major cities just a few other small towns. Having someone watch these roads will give us an idea of how many people will still be in the area. There is a bridge about ~40 miles from our location, and taking it out would stop traffic coming north. However, it will stop people there, and they will have to choose to turn around, or get out and find a way across. If they are headed south, they will be stopped and have to turn around and then pass our general area again. We are nestled 1/2 mile back in the woods off of the road but that's still too close for comfort. I would almost rather just let people keep on going. Maybe we could raid the local XDOT and get some road closed signs and put them in front of the bridge on the south side. It might discourage some, and that will help, but it may also arouse suspicion when they don't see any road work. To be honest, I am milling this through my mind as I type. I've never really thought out the "what if I had a weeks notice" scenario. I mean, I have thought about taking out the bridge, and what would be needed to do so safely, but that's after the crap hits the fan, and we want to block off the golden horde... People will likely be heading north and the river under the bridge is big enough to make almost anyone turn around and detour back to a cross road to get to another bridge over the river. The nearest bridge is well enough out of their way that double backing would seem pointless. they would simply head north and bypass our location completely. The few headed south would likely be headed toward home, or their homestead. Eitherway, they aren't likely to be the type searching for places to plunder.

I should probably go and think about this weeks notice plan. Run it over with the guys, and see if there's anything they would do different from me.

Oh, and is there something about the 30th that your fellow preppers should know? I mean, I love the idea of a weeks notice, are you telling us something now? Care to share? :D:

1 - 20 of 133 Posts