Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
About had enough here.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the never-ending cycle of getting my crap together, I've come to realize that non-cell or internet communication is one of my many glaring weak spots.

I'm sure there are reasons for having multiple radio setups, but for me, I'm only able to go in on one in the near future (starting to save my pennies presently).

Would you use a FRS/GMRS handheld or a HAM handheld (if you had your license)? Are there any glaring pros and cons? For hiking, the FRS/GRMS seems ideal, but for general emergency use and information, the HAM seems smart.

I'm kinda stuck here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would go for a handheld HAM. More power than a family type radio and you can program them to scan police fire etc. My little yaesu works on two HAM bands and scans police,fire and other emergency channels all over NYC , Upstate NY , and Long Island. Plus I get am,fm and sw. It is about 3 inches by 3 inches so easy to carry. You con find replacement batteries easy or you can jeri rig with AA if you are in a pinch and after market antennas are cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I would go for a handheld HAM. More power than a family type radio and you can program them to scan police fire etc. My little yaesu works on two HAM bands and scans police,fire and other emergency channels all over NYC , Upstate NY , and Long Island. Plus I get am,fm and sw. It is about 3 inches by 3 inches so easy to carry. You con find replacement batteries easy or you can jeri rig with AA if you are in a pinch and after market antennas are cheap and easy to find.
Which model do you have?

·
Registered
725 Posts
What Bruce said. I have the same capability in a Kenwood handheld. Talks on three bands and listens to almost everything. Small, light, effective, and scans. It's a Kenwood TH-F6.

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
thanks guys for making me aware of the portable hams.

I'll look in to them for sure.

I've been carrying a cobra handheld CB in my bag for years and I've had more than one occasion to pull it out...holiday wreck traffic shutdown, listen to the truckers tell each other about alternate routes, determine which advice makes sense for us and then head that way, etc. I know the better answer is to have it mounted in my truck, but many times we vacation or I road trip for work in a rental car so the portable has been my answer there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good thing about the handheld HAM is that instead of and in addition to i truckers on CB you can in many cases listen to highway patrol and FD frequencies during traffic jams on the HAM radio

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
Do you have to have a license to operate a handheld ham radio?
A little studying and Tech is quick. A little more studying and the General can be had, this opens up most all of the HF bands for long-range comms.

I am in that mode right now(studying that is)

·
Registered
725 Posts
How much do these usually run?

Also, What about personal wakies. Anyone have those in thier BOBs?
At this moment, there is a Kenwood Th-F6a on eBay bidding for $225 - a new one runs about $300. There is also a Yaesu VX-7R bidding at $203 - a new one runs about $320.

We have some FRS walkies in our preps, but we would only use them for limited, close range communications. AND, we would limit our conversations for security because those types of radios are around everywhere.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I also vote for handheld HAM. I'm in the middle of studying for my HAM license and will be buying the Yaesu VX-6R in January.

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
VX-6R with extended transmit mod done. Get your ham ticket and get familiar with what the radio can do. Then when the SHTF and you are bugging out, you have the ability to transmit on the HAM bands and FRS/GMRS bands too.

I am not suggesting you use the radio of anything it's not type accepted for while we have order in the world. But once the SHTF......

·
About had enough here.
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VX-6R with extended transmit mod done. Get your ham ticket and get familiar with what the radio can do. Then when the SHTF and you are bugging out, you have the ability to transmit on the HAM bands and FRS/GMRS bands too.

I am not suggesting you use the radio of anything it's not type accepted for while we have order in the world. But once the SHTF......
So HAM radios can transmit on the short range GMRS bands, too? I didn't know that.

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
So HAM radios can transmit on the short range GMRS bands, too? I didn't know that.
If they are modded. This usually requires you to remove a solder jumper inside the radio. BUT you cannot legally trasmit on any of the new frequencies. The radio has to be 'Type Accepted' by the FCC. That means that they check to make sure it's working properly on those frequencies. Also realize that if you do the mod and transmit on the FRS frequencies you will be transmitting at a higher wattage than is allowed on the FRS freqs.

As I said before, only transmit on those other frequencies AFTER the SHTF.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Would you use a FRS/GMRS handheld or a HAM handheld (if you had your license)? Are there any glaring pros and cons? For hiking, the FRS/GRMS seems ideal, but for general emergency use and information, the HAM seems smart.

I'm kinda stuck here.
Wow...I personally would choose a Cell Phone, for these suckers continue working in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iceland, Argentina...or wherever else the SHTF!

Now...think about it...really! Are you in such bad shape after the proverbial "SHTF" that you have to worry about the FCC checking you for a Ham Lisence? If so, then you are probably in a hopeless state already.

Think about it.

Auram

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
Wow...I personally would choose a Cell Phone, for these suckers continue working in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iceland, Argentina...or wherever else the SHTF!

Now...think about it...really! Are you in such bad shape after the proverbial "SHTF" that you have to worry about the FCC checking you for a Ham Lisence? If so, then you are probably in a hopeless state already.

Think about it.

Auram
Cell phones are great, if the cell towers are still powered or not overloaded with traffic. Remember 9/11? Very few people were able to make cell calls out of Manhattan.

The reason I am suggesting to get a HAM radio and a license is you can learn what the radio can do. After a disaster is not the time to try and make your first contact. Getting your license will allow you to see if you can make contacts from your expected BO trail. I know in my town there is an RF hole right in the center of town. Even at 50W people cannot hit the local repeater.

It's all about practicing in a world that has laws. Practicing for when there are no laws.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
A small dual band vhf ham radio is small. Why not both?

FRS/GMRS is very common and most likely your easiest contact will be with those. Ham will get you a better person to contact.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts