Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the place I live in Arizona is in the middle of the desert. However, our little oasis has mosquitos like mad this time of year. That got me thinking about "what ifs" regarding a pandemic or epidemic. If that happens mosquitos will surely be a carrier from human to human.

Bug spray can only last so long.

Is it bug out time to areas without mosquitos? No pun intended.

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
Back before swamps became "sacred wetlands" to the Gaia worshipers, the way to get rid of mosquitoes was TO DRAIN THEM (swamps).

Basically those bugs are going to live anywhere there is constantly wet soil. The only way to make them go away other than to kill them with chemicals is to make the soil dry.

The best way to tolerate mosquitoes without nuking them with bug spray is to make sure you have anti mosquito nets.

Personally I prefer the bug spray.

I wonder if there is some kind of homebrew remedy, maybe something you can burn that could be made in less than ideal conditions?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,381 Posts
the place I live in Arizona is in the middle of the desert. However, our little oasis has mosquitos like mad this time of year. That got me thinking about "what ifs" regarding a pandemic or epidemic. If that happens mosquitos will surely be a carrier from human to human.

While many areas of the western great basin have fewer skeeters, I know of no area that have none. Perhaps the best you could do is move to a remote and dry area with few people and sleep under netting.

Skeeters and standing water are linked by the bugs reproduction cycle. Places with very little standing water include the high desert of the Mojave, the Eastern Sierras, the great basins of Nevada-Eastern Oregon-Southern Idaho-Most of Utah.

As folks who live there will tell you, fewer skeeters does not mean none.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DEET! I'm hoping that if there's a pandemic/epidemic it is in the late fall, winter, or early spring!
Amen Brother! The skeeters tonight were laughing at my 100% deet!! No kidding.

I figure if you had to live with the threat of mosquitos, live far from others to minimize the chance of infection I guess.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Shoot the buggers before they get you. :D:

I recommend full auto and lots of ammunition.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
Amen Brother! The skeeters tonight were laughing at my 100% deet!! No kidding.

I figure if you had to live with the threat of mosquitos, live far from others to minimize the chance of infection I guess.
Or get out of dodge rather quickly. My brother works for a health dept and he deals with West Nile Virus/mosquito control. A lot of people could really use some lessons about letting pools of water sit in their yards/in their junk piles. We can't help some of it, but a lot of it is definitely preventable. Which means that mosquitos spreading disease is largely preventable.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's been so dry here in TX that there aren't as many skeeters as usual. If you are out of DEET or it doesn't work, then about the only other way to avoid the little stickers is with netting.

Staying inside as much as possible, especially during the late afternoon/evening and dawn hours might reduce your exposure. Wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts - something like a beekeeper would wear.

Martins and Chimney Sweeps help with mosquito control as do bats. However, I doubt keeping any of these in your house would be a good idea, but outside might help.

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
Shoot the buggers before they get you. :D:

I recommend full auto and lots of ammunition.
That's about all .223 (5.56 NATO) has enough stopping power to bring down... mosquitoes.

Dumbest move ever was switching from .30 caliber (.30-06 or .308).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Back before swamps became "sacred wetlands" to the Gaia worshipers, the way to get rid of mosquitoes was TO DRAIN THEM (swamps).

Basically those bugs are going to live anywhere there is constantly wet soil. The only way to make them go away other than to kill them with chemicals is to make the soil dry.

The best way to tolerate mosquitoes without nuking them with bug spray is to make sure you have anti mosquito nets.

Personally I prefer the bug spray.

I wonder if there is some kind of homebrew remedy, maybe something you can burn that could be made in less than ideal conditions?
make your area bat friendly!!! put a few bat houses up here is a link on it http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/livingWithWildlife/bats/bats_friendly.html they eat tons of bugs

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bats

make your area bat friendly!!! put a few bat houses up here is a link on it http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/livingWithWildlife/bats/bats_friendly.html they eat tons of bugs
Yea,
Mosquito- Malaria,West Nile Virus
Bats - Rabies, Malaria,West Nile Virus
Remember back in school the saying, You Are what you eat.
Granted the mosquito will rip you a new one, and your chances of bat bites are minimal. But it sure don't leave you friendly options.
But your post does raise a good question,
Depending on the "IT", and its effects on Humans,I wonder what effects it will have on the Animal Kingdom.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
I'd suggest preventive- dump out water from old tires, kiddie pools, etc. A few drops of veg oil in cattle troughs, cup in a cow tank. Mosquito netting for the bed at home. And one for the sleeping bag... Head nets.

Promote bats They eat their body weight per night.... Anywhere good youre gonna have skeeters. Water...

·
Registered
10 Posts
buy frogs? chickens? other things that eat bugs, and stay inside as long as possible. If you have to go out, dress like its winter with no exposed skin or some other 'chem' type suit.

·
Banned
647 Posts

If you have lived in an area known to have been bad for mosquitos and dont know how to quell them by now then there in lies the problem. In northern Minnesota they were so bad at times you dare not going outside due to risk of some of them getting inside as you walked out the door. I wont even mention the black flies. Bug zapper lights are sold nearly everywhere they sell light bulbs. Mothball Flakes. They will keep them at bay for a long time unless it rains. If you have a pond with no fish or plan on NOT using it as a water source, like another poster stated, oil it. You can even invest in a simple fountain that sprays water upwards and only uses the water in the pond, thus keeping it moving and the mosquitos wont breed there. Most of this is common sense, got raccoons pestering your property? Take away the food source, mice in your kitchen? Put food away and not let it lay about the counters. Take away its breeding source.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
I feel sorry for you folks ,I hardly have any skeeters to speak of .
Several things I do .
I feed the birds regularly.
Knowing they are good pest control, I have been feeding the birds regular bird seed often and year round .
They all visit me; finches ,sparrows, jays, doves, mocking birds, you name it, every body has a turn ,and they all make their controbution as well.
Also a few bird houses ,but I let them nest any where they want . The sparrows are just having a field day here ,I love watching them feast on the insects all over the ground when ever it rains .
I have not seen any bats in the area but having a few habitats for them is a good plan .
Now there are a few things I remember back as a kid , people included garlic in their diet and repelled all kinds of insects .
I know for a fact that my dad's dog would come home with a tick, and with out doing another thing ,I added minced garlic to his food , and the tick would jump off on it's own . Prevention is always best . Garlic does work .
Some one also noted that some people seemed to attract misquetoes and others didn't, the theory was vitamine related , but I am not sure if it was attractent or repellant.
I have also been using an avon product from time to time because of ants .The product is "skin so soft " . Some one told me it was a mineral oil in it, that did the trick .
it doesn't kill the ants but they HATE IT . seems to keep other flying insects away as well . Like I said theough I hardly have any because the birds do such a good job .
Just after I had first moved here there were few birds and the flying insects and spider webs were every where. now ,it's rather fun to be out side at nite not having to wear any thing to repell the insects.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
That's about all .223 (5.56 NATO) has enough stopping power to bring down... mosquitoes.

There was a wildcat round, .17 Hornet, for taking out larger insects so I am sure the .223 would handle the Mos-ke-toes. Some folks reach for the shotgun when dealing with the pests. If thats your defense of choice I would go with the .410 with 22 shot.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Actually, mosquitoes probably wouldn't be a vector in a pandemic/epidemic; there really aren't that many diseases that they take up with blood, and re-inject when they feed. A few, yes: Malaria, West Nile; but not AIDS, Bubonic Plague (that's fleas), or flus. And the most likely pandemic would be a bird flu like the 1918 Flu that jumped species into humanity. There, you wouldn't have to worry about mosquitoes, it'd be human to human contact that would be the spreading point...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts