Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant about my camping trip on November 24 - 25

One of the major drawbacks to remote primitive camping sites, you never know what idiot you are going to end up next to.

November 24, 2012 a buddy of mine and I headed out to the Angelina river close to Jasper Texas to do some camping. These are primitive camping sites that are only available by boat.

We arrived at the camping site, set the tents up, then headed out to the river to do some fishing. Just before the juglines were set out, I got a call on my phone saying my son-in-law and his hunting buddies caught a hog in the river bottom. The dogs had chased the hog a long way from the boat, and they needed some help. But that is another story.

After helping my son-in-law and his hunting party pack the hog back to the boat, my buddy and I headed back to our camping site.

By the time we got back to the camping site we only had about one hour of light left. We broke out the camp stoves, cooked a quick meal of Mountain House freeze dried foods, then started the camp fire.

Shooting – The whole time my buddy and I were cooking dinner, and starting the camp fire, the group in the next camping site over were shooting their guns. After the sun went down and the last glimpses of light faded away, the people kept shooting their rifles.

Gun safety – trigger disciple, muzzle disciple, target disciple.

How the hell are you supposed to have target disciple when you are shooting into pitch black darkness?

The direction the people were shooting was towards another camping site. Thank goodness that camping site was not occupied.

My buddy and I were sitting next to the camp fire, while someone less then 150 feet away was shooting a large caliber rifle into the darkness. What the hell is wrong with people?

Everytime a round would sound off, I would cringe in fear in the hopes that the bullet would not go zinging by.

Cutting Trees Down – Besides the shooting, the scumbags were cutting trees down.

The chop, chop, chop, went on for what seemed like 30 minutes at a time, then came “timberrrrrrr” and a crash. This happened three times.

What kind of ******* goes to public lands, then cuts down trees?

Why waste time with an axe? Why not bring a chainsaw and cut down all the trees they wanted?

My buddy and I, we brought oak firewood with us. Next time I might do like the *******s and just cut down whatever trees I want.

The Next Morning

Sunday, November 25, 2012 my buddy crawled out of his tent at the crack of dawn to get the fire going. I slept a little late, I crawled out of my tent around 8am or so.

The great white hunters, no more then 150 feet through the woods were back to the war on peace and quiet with a wide range of calibers. From the sounds of things, they were using a variety of 22 long rifle, large caliber rifles, and shotguns to lay waste to what would have otherwise been a perfect morning.

Shooting towards my camp site – The last straw came when our camping site peppered with bb’s from a shotgun blast.

I first, my buddy attempted to walk the 150 feet or so to the great white hunters camping site, but the bullets zinging through the trees kept him at bay. As an alternative to waling, my buddy got in his boat, dove around to the great white hunters camping site to express his displeasure with being pelted.

With serving in the army, my buddy posses a rather lucrative vocabulary. I am pretty sure he could make a French whore blush from time to time.

I was not sure if taking a boat was safer, as the shooters were shooting towards a straight-away section of the river. This means that the great white hunters could have fired off several rounds before they heard my buddies boat motor.

Upon arrival back at our camping site I asked how things went. I was told they there a bunch of stupid ********.

As we were heading back to the boat launch I was going to take pictures of the boats to get the boat numbers. This was just in case the people did not have a permit to be camping at that site.

By the time we reached the camping site, the people were already gone.

As luck would have it, the scumbags were at the boat launch.

I pulled my boat up to the bank, jumped out of my boat, then started taking pictures of the guys truck and boat.

The guy pulls his boat out of the water, parks, then walks over to me and ask why I am taking pictures of his truck. I told the guy “I choose not to answer that question.” From the glazed look on his eyes, he must have ate donuts for breakfast. He seemed to have no idea on how to reply to my comment.

The guy made a comment back along the lines of, “is this about peppering your camp site?”, but I did not answer.

For one last jab, the guy made a comment – “yall must not hunt very much.” As if “hunting” was an excuse to shoot towards a camp site?

Conclusion

In my past 30 years of camping I have been a lot of miserable trips. I have been cold, wet, freezing, shivering, sweating at 2am,,,, but some ******* shooting into the darkness no less then 150 feet from me has to take the cake.

The people knew we were there, as a couple of them walked into our camp site as we were setting up the tents on the first day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Doesn't sound like they were being safe at all. Next time communicate with them from the get-go. While it probably wouldn't have helped, it may have changed the camping trip. They have a right to enjoy the land and shoot where legal, but they have a responsibility to be safe about it and a moral responsibility to peacefully co-exist with others.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can't fix stupid, Kev. But Mother Nature has her own ways of culling the herd, "accidental" self inflicted gunshot wounds coming immediately to mind. Good thing you and your buddy got home safe.

·
NC Native
705 Posts

One of the major drawbacks to remote primitive camping sites, you never know what idiot you are going to end up next to.
Broken bones, insect bites, burns, falls, hunger, cold, rain, snow, sleet, etc. etc...but nothing ruins a camping trip like a bunch of yahoos. We go to the woods to escape idiots like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I despise people like that. All they care about is their good time with no regards for others. That's the kind of people you want to use for target practice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've had the good fortune of running into this problem twice. The most recent one was at the LBJ Grasslands in Decatur near DFW. A group of buddies and I were camping in an established campground near a lake, where hunting and shooting is not permitted, as in, there's a sign on the fence that says "NO TARGET SHOOTING OR HUNTING".

We had the whole campground to ourselves, until around 6 AM, when we woke up to shotgun fire. We kinda agreed to stay in the tent, until it just kept happening, and we heard someone blowing a duck call. I figured then that someone was duck hunting.

We crawled from the tent, and looked to the water to see two guys with dogs on a small peninsula, shooting toward the other bank, which also has campsites that could have easily been occupied.

Apon further investigation, we found several fresh shells only 15 feet from our tent. That really got my blood boiling.

Rather than approach two armed men with my tempers flaring, we decided just to build a fire, eat some breakfast, and boogie on out to a different place.

I was young at that time, so really, that was my only option. I should have called the game warden, but it didn't cross my mind at the time.

So, I learned my lesson. I never camp unarmed anymore... Now that I'm 18, I don't feel strange carrying my 870 20 gauge strapped to my backpack, where I'm allowed. Not that I would have confronted these guys with a weapon, but it's good to have, because of the people you can run into out there.

I'm also able to control my temper better, so if a confrontation did occur, I could keep a cool head.

When alcohol is involved though, and it usually is with your type of situation, I'd advise you leave, no matter how annoying it is that you have to leave because of their ignorance. It's not worth getting shot over a camp sight.

Thanks for this post Kev, I'm glad someone has had an experience similar to mine.

·
One day at a time ...
1,854 Posts
This is a bit of "Monday morning quarterbacking", but could you have called the rangers or wardens? For that matter, the police?

Anyway, glad you weren't injured and are back with us.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I feel your pain, dood!

I think that, if you were really looking for a solution to the problem, your army buddy could've been more diplomatic.

*******s are *******s, but if you meet those type of people with even the slightest hint of aggression, they're more than happy to escalate the situation.

I always practice diplomacy first, and it works for me 99% of the time. :thumb:

·
Get Out There
166 Posts

I pulled my boat up to the bank, jumped out of my boat, then started taking pictures of the guys truck and boat.

Post the pics. Blow their S**t up on the net. If it were me, I would have called the park ranger or police the second they started shooting. Im sure they were breaking a few laws that night. If the ranger had come out he would have gotten them on something.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Too bad your camping trip was destroyed by a group of Yahoos. Sounds like you did the best you could given the situation. It is a shame that there are no shortage of ignorant self centered people. Most of them would be equally upset if they had been on your end of things but they never think about it when they are the ones acting badly.

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts

November 24, 2012 a buddy of mine and I headed out to the Angelina river close to Jasper Texas to do some camping. These are primitive camping sites that are only available by boat.

We arrived at the camping site, set the tents up, then headed out to the river to do some fishing. Just before the juglines were set out, I got a call on my phone saying my son-in-law and his hunting buddies caught a hog in the river bottom. The dogs had chased the hog a long way from the boat, and they needed some help. But that is another story.

After helping my son-in-law and his hunting party pack the hog back to the boat, my buddy and I headed back to our camping site.

By the time we got back to the camping site we only had about one hour of light left. We broke out the camp stoves, cooked a quick meal of Mountain House freeze dried foods, then started the camp fire.

Shooting – The whole time my buddy and I were cooking dinner, and starting the camp fire, the group in the next camping site over were shooting their guns. After the sun went down and the last glimpses of light faded away, the people kept shooting their rifles.

Gun safety – trigger disciple, muzzle disciple, target disciple.

How the hell are you supposed to have target disciple when you are shooting into pitch black darkness?

The direction the people were shooting was towards another camping site. Thank goodness that camping site was not occupied.

My buddy and I were sitting next to the camp fire, while someone less then 150 feet away was shooting a large caliber rifle into the darkness. What the hell is wrong with people?

Everytime a round would sound off, I would cringe in fear in the hopes that the bullet would not go zinging by.

Cutting Trees Down – Besides the shooting, the scumbags were cutting trees down.

The chop, chop, chop, went on for what seemed like 30 minutes at a time, then came “timberrrrrrr” and a crash. This happened three times.

What kind of ******* goes to public lands, then cuts down trees?

Why waste time with an axe? Why not bring a chainsaw and cut down all the trees they wanted?

My buddy and I, we brought oak firewood with us. Next time I might do like the *******s and just cut down whatever trees I want.

The Next Morning

Sunday, November 25, 2012 my buddy crawled out of his tent at the crack of dawn to get the fire going. I slept a little late, I crawled out of my tent around 8am or so.

The great white hunters, no more then 150 feet through the woods were back to the war on peace and quiet with a wide range of calibers. From the sounds of things, they were using a variety of 22 long rifle, large caliber rifles, and shotguns to lay waste to what would have otherwise been a perfect morning.

Shooting towards my camp site – The last straw came when our camping site peppered with bb’s from a shotgun blast.

I first, my buddy attempted to walk the 150 feet or so to the great white hunters camping site, but the bullets zinging through the trees kept him at bay. As an alternative to waling, my buddy got in his boat, dove around to the great white hunters camping site to express his displeasure with being pelted.

With serving in the army, my buddy posses a rather lucrative vocabulary. I am pretty sure he could make a French whore blush from time to time.

I was not sure if taking a boat was safer, as the shooters were shooting towards a straight-away section of the river. This means that the great white hunters could have fired off several rounds before they heard my buddies boat motor.

Upon arrival back at our camping site I asked how things went. I was told they there a bunch of stupid ********.

As we were heading back to the boat launch I was going to take pictures of the boats to get the boat numbers. This was just in case the people did not have a permit to be camping at that site.

The guy pulls his boat out of the water, parks, then walks over to me and ask why I am taking pictures of his truck. I told the guy “I choose not to answer that question.” From the glazed look on his eyes, he must have ate donuts for breakfast. He seemed to have no idea on how to reply to my comment.

The guy made a comment back along the lines of, “is this about peppering your camp site?”, but I did not answer.

For one last jab, the guy made a comment – “yall must not hunt very much.” As if “hunting” was an excuse to shoot towards a camp site?

Conclusion

In my past 30 years of camping I have been a lot of miserable trips. I have been cold, wet, freezing, shivering, sweating at 2am,,,, but some ******* shooting into the darkness no less then 150 feet from me has to take the cake.

The people knew we were there, as a couple of them walked into our camp site as we were setting up the tents on the first day.
Thank God no one got hurt. We had a similar situation happen to us around Blanco Texas except our guy was Glocking the heck out of tree stumps and pop cans. We asked them to stop, they didn't, so we called the cops on him. They stuffed him in the cruiser and then we proceeded to enjoy the weekend. I would have reported them to the cops/ranger anyway. I hope your next trip is better.

·
Blame Canada.
3,226 Posts
I feel your pain, dood!

I think that, if you were really looking for a solution to the problem, your army buddy could've been more diplomatic.

*******s are *******s, but if you meet those type of people with even the slightest hint of aggression, they're more than happy to escalate the situation.

I always practice diplomacy first, and it works for me 99% of the time. :thumb:
And Texas is quite liberal when it comes to shooting folks. Speaking to drunk inbred wielding guns is above my pay grade. I say give it to the cops/Rangers.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
You are a better man than I and handled it much better

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you think drunk azz ******** are a problem now, just wait until they legalize dope in your state.
It IS in my state. A year ago a house right behind me (rental) the family were legal Medical Marijuana grower/seller .. the entire family was robbed at gunpoint, made to lie down on the floor because a buyer was mad that he didn't get enough for what he paid. He brought three of his buddies back with him to rob the family (w/two small kids) The family fled the house in the middle of the night shortly after this happened, leaving the house a real mess. The 4 thugs were caught and convicted this past summer. But, now I have another MM house grower/seller across the street from me :mad: Often when they open their windows the air smells like a damn skunk :mad::mad: The neighbors on both sides are not at all happy about it either.
What IF thugs go banging down the wrong doors to steal?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
It IS in my state. A year ago a house right behind me (rental) the family were legal Medical Marijuana grower/seller .. the entire family was robbed at gunpoint, made to lie down on the floor because a buyer was mad that he didn't get enough for what he paid. He brought three of his buddies back with him to rob the family (w/two small kids) The family fled the house in the middle of the night shortly after this happened, leaving the house a real mess. The 4 thugs were caught and convicted this past summer. But, now I have another MM house grower/seller across the street from me :mad: Often when they open their windows the air smells like a damn skunk :mad::mad: The neighbors on both sides are not at all happy about it either.
What IF thugs go banging down the wrong doors to steal?
id suggest you keep a loaded gun under the pillow and reinforce your doors

1 - 19 of 19 Posts