Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my little shih tzu had a seizure. She's never had one before, at least none that I ever saw. But clearly this was a seizure. Scared the bejeebers out of me and her both. It lasted about two minutes, and she was a bit lethargic and seemed to be in a daze for an hour or so after, but she happily ate her dinner later. She normally sleeps at the foot of the bed but I kept her up by my head all night in case it happened again and I might wake up. But she seemed to sleep normally.

Vet says it's likely an idiopathic seizure, meaning an unknown reason. All I can do is watch her to see if she has another, and I got some diazepam to poke in her hiney if she has another. I requested x rays and blood work and they were both perfect. If she keeps having them we can try other tests.

She is such a sweetheart, a true joy to have, and is 6 years old so she is in her prime.

Scary!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,956 Posts
I hope you get some good answers.

That's one issue I've never had with a cat. Bladder stones x3 cats but no seizures.

Reactions: Mazarine33 and n1d

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mazarine, hopefully she dosen't have another. I had a cousin who had a Chi who started having seizures and all lab work x-rays came out ok but she kept having them about 1 a week, vets couldn't give a good reason why.

I felt sorry for the poor thing because my cousin paid each month for a med that stopped them but the side effects were almost as bad. To me that poor dog looked and acted miserable but she lived another 8 years, she still had a seizure every once in a while though but not as bad at that first 1 had been. She finally passed away peacefully in her sleep 1 night at the age of 13. That was over 10 years ago.

I'll be praying for your little one not to have another seizure.

·
Over and Out
3,308 Posts
...All I can do is watch her to see if she has another ...
..Obviously "consult your Vet" (..though, they likely will recommend 'drugs', because... 'markup', etc :rolleyes:) but.. Fwiw, we've had Very good results with 'CBD'...

https://www.cbdmd.com/cbd-for-pets ..and, specifically, the 300mg https://www.cbdmd.com/cbd-oil-tinctures-for-dogs?flavor=natural&strength=300mg

...We have a small Maltese (..and a Gigantic Anatolian :cool:) who was a 'rescue' that the Wife just couldn't resist bringing home.. :rolleyes: 5 yrs ago, she Survived a fall off of the 4 story 'Condo' where we were living at the time's patio - onto solid-concrete (!!!) Didn't even break anything (!!) Though she (obviously) had some head-trauma / brain swelling / side-effects that took her quite a while to get over (..Still have no idea how / why she went sailing over the well-fenced patio.. Probably chasing a squirrel or bird on the railing :rolleyes: but Anyhoo...) ....Point being, that was - most likely - her 'causal', for the seizures she started having about 2 yrs ago..

..Once they started manifesting, she was having up to like 1-2 a Month.. Then someone told us about CBD for Dogs.. I was like.. 'Huh'... since I'd long-heard of it being used in People, for much the same thing.. So, we got some, and started giving it to her as a 'preventative-measure' trial.. (Proactive, not Reactive..) Only once a week, just a full-dropper, and her seizures tapered down to like one / two a Year (if-that..)... Now, she's not had one in, shoot.. ~1.5 yrs? Hard to even remember.. So, I'd say :thumb:

..YMMV, of course, but.. By many many many 'empirical' accounts out there now, CBD for seizures (...among many Other ailments..) seems to really Work...

jd

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

Yesterday, my little shih tzu had a seizure. She's never had one before, at least none that I ever saw. But clearly this was a seizure. Scared the bejeebers out of me and her both. It lasted about two minutes, and she was a bit lethargic and seemed to be in a daze for an hour or so after, but she happily ate her dinner later. She normally sleeps at the foot of the bed but I kept her up by my head all night in case it happened again and I might wake up. But she seemed to sleep normally.

Vet says it's likely an idiopathic seizure, meaning an unknown reason. All I can do is watch her to see if she has another, and I got some diazepam to poke in her hiney if she has another. I requested x rays and blood work and they were both perfect. If she keeps having them we can try other tests.

She is such a sweetheart, a true joy to have, and is 6 years old so she is in her prime.

Scary!
wow, and it sounds as if the vet is clueless :mad:

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
wow, and it sounds as if the vet is clueless :mad:
There are a LOT of idiopathic conditions, in humans and animals. They don't like to admit it, but there is far more we don't know about biology than what we do know.

And spoiler alert....most treatments that work? They don't know why they work. It was just found by trial and error.

I say 'just' but that is the nature of science. A lot of it is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks and what doesn't and carefully recording that.

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

There are a LOT of idiopathic conditions, in humans and animals. They don't like to admit it, but there is far more we don't know about biology than what we do know.

And spoiler alert....most treatments that work? They don't know why they work. It was just found by trial and error.

I say 'just' but that is the nature of science. A lot of it is throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks and what doesn't and carefully recording that.
Yup

My bride had a PE back in May of last year, they can't tell where the clot came from.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
idiopathic? I remember doctors at work state only an idiot would use that term and one who accepts the Dx was pathetic. There is always a cause, the key is how much you want to spend to find it.
Its a nice idea but simply not reality. Billions have been spent on idopathic conditions with no answer yet. Their are entire industries struggling with idiopathic issues. Heck...to some extent all the really big problems are idopathic, thats why they are big problems. If you know what causes something that is usually most of the work of solving it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts