Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you throw sensetive documentation directly into the bin?
Old bank statements, receipts,insurance papers and all that paper work that has your whole identity stamped over it just waiting for some low life to steal your life.
Do you.
A.Just throw it all into the bin.
B Burn it.
C Shread it
D Rely on some company to get rid of it.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
The propaganda is a crock of crap. The purpose is to make you think you are some how responsible when you are not. Does it happen? Yes. Should you destroy your papers? Yes. Is it common? No, it is not common. The vast majority of identity fraud is wholesale and corporate. The TJ Max story is a prime example.

If you are a victim, it will not be your fault. It will be their fault but they will lie, cheat, and lay a huge guilt trip on you to try and get out from under. You need to protect yourself from corporate bullying if you become part of the "collateral damage" of modern business.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I throw all of my sensitive material including all the credit card crap that companies send me into a paper grocery bag ,then I burn them every 6 months or so.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Old bank statements, receipts,insurance papers and all that paper work that has your whole identity stamped over it just waiting for some low life to steal your life.
Do you.
B Burn it.
C Shread it
I shred all receipts, bank statements, or anything that has my name, information, credit card numbers, etc. If I even have the slightest concern that any of my papers could be retrieved and used inproperly, it gets shredded.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Do you.
B Burn it.
C Shread it
I used to have a shredder, but not anymore. These days I put all letters, envelopes, bills or anything else identifying in a pile. When the time comes they get soaked in hot soapy water for a couple of hours. When the sink drains, it's just a pile of slime really. The slime gets thrown into the bin :D:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The propaganda is a crock of crap. The purpose is to make you think you are some how responsible when you are not. Does it happen? Yes. Should you destroy your papers? Yes. Is it common? No, it is not common. The vast majority of identity fraud is wholesale and corporate. The TJ Max story is a prime example.

If you are a victim, it will not be your fault. It will be their fault but they will lie, cheat, and lay a huge guilt trip on you to try and get out from under. You need to protect yourself from corporate bullying if you become part of the "collateral damage" of modern business.
Its a bigger problem than people think, after all its only got to happen to a person once for financial ruin.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Its a bigger problem than people think, after all its only got to happen to a person once for financial ruin.
I am mildly cautious. I dont leave my reciepts where people can see them, and we usually tear them up before throwing into the trash or burn sometimes. Our financial papers we keep we annually go thru our records and discard old papers we no longer need, those we shred.

But honestly I spend more time keep track of my finances. We monitor our accounts weekly online and with our paper trail. If we see anything that looks fishy we look into it right away.

About 8 months ago we were a victim of credit card fraud amongst many others when some employee at a restaraunt we ate at got busted for stealing alot of customers cc info. It was no big deal, someone had charged about $5000 total. We saw it a day or so after the charges, and reported it to the bank and cc company who immediatly cancled the card and reissued us a new one. The charges to the card was cleared and we went about our lives. It took about 15 minutes to correct on the phone.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I am mildly cautious. I dont leave my reciepts where people can see them, and we usually tear them up before throwing into the trash or burn sometimes. Our financial papers we keep we annually go thru our records and discard old papers we no longer need, those we shred.

But honestly I spend more time keep track of my finances. We monitor our accounts weekly online and with our paper trail. If we see anything that looks fishy we look into it right away.

About 8 months ago we were a victim of credit card fraud amongst many others when some employee at a restaraunt we ate at got busted for stealing alot of customers cc info. It was no big deal, someone had charged about $5000 total. We saw it a day or so after the charges, and reported it to the bank and cc company who immediatly cancled the card and reissued us a new one. The charges to the card was cleared and we went about our lives. It took about 15 minutes to correct on the phone.
the problem is the unhonest people some people will charge there card go o i dont need to pay that call them up and say hey i never ordered that even though they have it and be basicly stealing..

·
awake and aware
591 Posts
Everything with my name on it that I get in the mail gets shredded.
I tear the document in half and shred 1 pile in 1 shredder and the other in another shredder. I tear labels off of boxes I get etc also.

I found a website that some guy figured out how to get your drivers license number from your name and birth date
http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/numbers/dl_us_shared.html

From that you could produce a legit looking license with the correct name with the correct number (without even ever seeing that persons license)

It worked when I tried it....just another example of protecting even little details of your identity

·
Registered
2 Posts

I agree. I had a "card" info stolen after using at a fast food resturant. I was doing the quick lunch omw to an interview. I usually pay cash but was in a rush. so used my debit card. the next day. I had ebay calling me. to verify my big auctions placed. I had a few entries for a yahoo web business package. web + mail. also some store in chicago. bought via the web. I caught it in time. and was refunded the money the next day back into my account.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I shred at work and then throw the shreds in the recycling bin. Our company must go through 600 or 700 pounds of paper a week (our CEO says we have a paper free office when they invent paper free toilets :) ), so if they dig out my shredded junk mail and piece it together and are able to steal my ID, they really would have earned their money.

I am thinking about paying for LifeLock or one of those services. Anyone have any experience with those? Are they worth the expense?

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
I shred and use the resultant kindling for starting the BBQ. It's also great at getting up spills.

·
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF
549 Posts
I toss it all in the fireplace, strike a match and "be done with it".

But, my real question is, seeing as how this _is_ a survivalist forum, "is identity theft a viable survival strategy?"

Obviously, post-collapse none of the vast databases would be accessible to manipulate, BUT, in the current climate, is this a viable option?

DISCLAIMER: This question is being asked for hypothetical purposes ONLY.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts