Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This denatured alcohol stove review has a bit of a twist to it that I hope will help out those who may be considering an alcohol stove as their cooking system during a survival or disaster situation. The alcohol stove has been a must have for backpackers looking for an ultra-lightweight packing system. I plan on covering some of the basic questions asked by people looking into a denatured alcohol stove. Some of those questions are: Which stove should I choose? Should I get an alcohol stove with an open flame, open jet, or closed jet? What do I need to look for when buying an alcohol stove? Should I make my own alcohol stove? And a few other questions will be answered.

Before Buying Your Denatured Alcohol Stove
The very first thing you should do before buying an alcohol stove is figure out what type of pot or cup you will be using to boil your water or cook with. This will determine what type of denatured alcohol stove to buy.
There are many sizes of cups and pots on the market these days, so choosing one shouldn’t be too difficult. They usually come in to standard looks. A tall skinny size and a small wide size. I will leave that part up to you to decide. So go out and find you the cup or pot you plan to use with your alcohol stove system.

Choosing Your Alcohol Stove

After choosing your cup or pot, you will then be able to decide upon the right alcohol stove for you to use. Alcohol stoves are not all the same. Some put out a small flame while others put out a wide flame. Some put a long flame with others put out a short flame. The idea with this one is to find reviews on the stove you are thinking of getting. See if someone you know uses one and take a look at it. I like to look at reviews on youtube to help out as well.

A Short List of Alcohol Stoves to Look Into

I have a short list of recommended alcohol stoves to look at. I never thought there were so many styles of alcohol stoves on the market today. They keep growing all the time, but some of the good ones are starting to get weeded out and I think before too long you will start to see the ones that work the best.

• Advanced Mountain Products Alumilite Stove Set
• AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Deluxe Set
• Brasslite Turbo II-D
• Brookside Crafts
• Cat Stove
• Clikstand S-1
• Etowah Outfitters Etowah II
• Etowah Outfitters Solid Fuel Stove with Alcohol Burner
• Hike N’ Light
• Hiknakd
• Mini-Trangia
• OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
• Rhino Stove
• ThermoJet MicroLite
• Liberty Mountain Westwind
• Turbo V8
• Vargo Triad Titanium

Types of Alcohol Burners

Open Flame- This is a simple open container system that you pour your denatured alcohol into and light the fuel. There is no pressurization with this one. It simply looks like a flame coming out of a bucket. This method is fuel efficient, but takes longer to boil and cook food.

Open Jet- This is a cat or super cat style alcohol stove. It looks like the open flame style stove except for it has added holes along the top of the stove to allow multiple flames to appear. They aren’t fuel efficient, but they burn hot. This requires less time for boiling water and cooking.

Closed Jet- This type is the middle class of the other two styles. They have small hole openings all around the top or sides of the alcohol stove. The alcohol is filled through an opening a the top and then started. As the alcohol starts to reach the evaporation temperature the fumes will exit through the small hole openings. This can be both fuel efficient and burn hot.

Tips To Look For When Buying an Alcohol Stove

• Cooking System
• Burner Type
• Boil Time
• Fuel Efficiency
• Flame Control
• Solo Versus Group Cooking
• Cold Weather Cooking

I hope that can help out anyone looking into alcohol stoves. :)

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Nice! Perhaps some links to video or the actual stove itself would help your review along. If I get bored I will find links for all the stoves you listed :)

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
• Advanced Mountain Products Alumilite Stove Set-link dead, no info found
AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Deluxe Set
Brasslite Turbo II-D
• Brookside Crafts-Ebay only, looks like he is not selling anymore
Cat Stove
Clikstand S-1 The S-1 looks like it was replaced by the S-2 and the T-2
Etowah Outfitters Etowah II
Etowah Outfitters Solid Fuel Stove with Alcohol Burner Nice review on this stove, above link will take you to their site.
Hike N’ Light Another review, the manufacturers website is down so I think this is no longer being made.
Hiknakd Yet another review and Ebay seller, looks like he/she closed up shop as well.
Mini-Trangia
OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
Rhino Stove More reviews and another Ebay seller who I could not find.
ThermoJet MicroLite
Liberty Mountain Westwind
Turbo V8
Vargo Triad Titanium

There ya go! Also here is one more link for everyone.

http://zenstoves.net/

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I second the resurrection because I am getting into the subject just now.

so far I have made type 2, open jet, but am considering the merit of type 3, closed jet. What I like about type 2 is you can ignite the fuel in the open middle for priming. If you put your pot over the flaming middle hole and it fits tight then the flame goes out so you have essentially a closed jet system. With a closed jet you have to have a primer outside it in another small pan.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have this stove:
http://end2endtrailsupply.com/Gram_Weenie_PRO.html

I've also considered this stove:
http://packafeather.com/index.html
It got a nice review recently. I do have the soda bottle cap for retrieving left over fuel.

I really want this stove, with the alcohol wick...although I'd intend to mostly use it with wood.
http://www.theboilerwerks.com/
It's made in the USA. There's a UK company that got really low to rip off this design in almost every detail. The one I linked is the one to get.

·
Thru-Hiker
548 Posts
I agree, very good info.

I'm a fan of the "KISS" concept. The cat can is as simple (and light) as it gets, very easy to make and boils 2 cups water in about 6 min. You may have to go a little smaller on the can if your pot is really narrow. I've made penny stoves and a few others, but I always come back to the cat can.

·
Banned
391 Posts
Not a stove I would rely on, too inefficient....more so if you've gotta melt snow for water
A MSR Whisper Lite would be a much better choice....however, the MSR XGK EX being a multi fuel stove goes with me when ever I'm above tree line....

·
Average Joe
2,654 Posts
I feel obligated to warn all of you about the dangers of alcohol stoves. If you're not careful, they will steal a lot of your free time! The pursuit of building and testing the most efficient stove for your use is addictive!

Telos: my homemade alcohol stove boils water faster than my Whisperlite and keeps it boiling for about 10 minutes. That is way long enough for cooking basically anything.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
The pursuit of building and testing the most efficient stove for your use is addictive!
This is true. Only been onto them a week and have built two. Got 7 more miller lites to drink so more to come.

I want to try and built this bad boy.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I have made 4 miller lite stoves. about the max of that beer I can stand over a few days. What I have taken to do is with a needle probably about 1/16 diameter is poke holes about 1/8th inch all around. My secret ingredient is to push the needle down the side of the can so the vent kinda points up instead of being flush. With 2 ounces of denatured alcohol blooms in about 15 secs and will burn for 19 minutes. Didn't time the boil but got a pint all bubbly.

weird 1 ounce burnt for 17 min, half an ounce 9, boil pint in 7

·
Banned
263 Posts
The Gram Weenue stove is no longer produced. End2End Trails went out of business a few years ago.

Should you or a friend want something similar; I can recommend the BS1.0 made by www.Batchstovez.com.

The Gram Weenie Pro was a good stove tho. I had one and gave it to a friend after I started building alcohol stoves I wasn't ashamed of.

·
Banned
263 Posts
DaFireMedic:

I LOVE your avatar. Mind if I swipe it.

The Super Cat works and is fast.

I don't care for the Super Cat because it burns a lot of fuel. I prefer a stove with better fuel economy for Preppers and thru hikers.

They are cheap and easy to build though.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've made many and owned a number more of a bunch of different types, my favorites were the Turms, either the 38 or the Turmsport. Both are low pressure with an over head tank gravity feeding a burner head through a pre-heat pipe. Clever system

The Click Stand range using a Trangia burned are very highly thought of as well, never owned one but know some who have and none of them has a nasty word to say about them.

I had a vargo ti burner as well, cos...well...it's titanium. It lost a drag race with a pop can burner I made consistantly, it leaked and there was no way to recover unused alco. Utter waste of time. Happily I sold to some doof who thought like me. I think there may only be one, and it keeps getting on-sold.

End of the day? Buy a Ledmark alcohol cook set and replace the burner with a Trangia one with working simmer ring if you are on a budget. If you are not on a budget, just get a Trangia T27 and call it job done.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dont think anyones mentioned it yet, but you can make a stove out of just about any old empty can with nothing but a tool to make holes with (drill works well). If you use two cans you can use one as the burner and the other as a stand. It really is that simple. Then you can work your way up to more efficient designs.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I dont trust puncturable, breakable containers of liquid, poisonous, flamable, etc, on the trail. Bad things happen. I use a can candle when I cant build a dakota pit and bundle up sticks for a Swedish torch. plenty of youtube vids about how to make both.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Sorry but I must disagree with you about the Trangia. I hate the things. They weigh 4.5-5 OZs, and MUST have a pot stand, and some Trangia pot stands does not give sufficient room to use the simmer ring.

The Brasslite stove is also adjustable for both boiling and simmering, ANC has a soldered or welded on pot stand.

The Complete Brasslite Turbo I D weighs two OZs, and right now www,Brasslite.com has them on sale.

Yesterday I ordered a Turbo I D. I will be using it for simmering and baking. I paid $15 and got free shipping. The same stove on eBay is $22 plus 6 shipping.

I won't be using the Brasslite for baking. My ultimate stove is faster and more economical on fuel.

I have made lots of simmer Stoves but none of mine will touch the Brasslite for the length they can burn on 1 OZ.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts