Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
A thread after my own heart.

If I had unlimited funds, I would have several of the estates listed, many of the remote minimal BOLs, and a few Rufus vehicles, along with the things listed in the estate list.

The main house(s) are described in the .pdf about prepper homes, at the end.

Of course, I would probably have a few turnkey commercially build shelters, as well. Some independent dome homes. Several Earth sheltered shopping malls. Many of the things I mention in my stories CME; Man, It Is Cold Outside; Simpler Times; What If; True Terror; And The Pendulum Swings; and a couple of my other stories.

I can expand on any of the ideas if you would like more ideas.

Just my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I;m not gonna go with unlimited budget because it's not realistic. Instead let's say I had a moderate amount, enough to secure 2 things;

1. Base; depends on where you are at. Pick somewhere near the mountains because there is water, wood for fire and some wildlife for possible food. So a home near the woods, and not so close to the city.

2. An RV; 5th wheel, travel trailer, motor home, etc you never know what is a safe location so this gives you a plan B.

·
Cheese Steak
21 Posts
Well I;m not gonna go with unlimited budget because it's not realistic. Instead let's say I had a moderate amount, enough to secure 2 things;

1. Base; depends on where you are at. Pick somewhere near the mountains because there is water, wood for fire and some wildlife for possible food. So a home near the woods, and not so close to the city.

2. An RV; 5th wheel, travel trailer, motor home, etc you never know what is a safe location so this gives you a plan B.
I Would Hardly Want A 5th wheel You Could Shoot a 22. through 7 of those things and it would still kill!

·
Ultranationalist
12,877 Posts
No human on earth has unlimited funds.

Let's just go with some basics.

Needs to be rural. There is no BOL/BIL that is ideal if it's in a city or suburb. Any town needs less than 1,000 people to be ideal. Mine is about 300.

Decent growing season.

Doesn't commonly flood.

Let's start with that.

·
Ultranationalist
12,877 Posts
I Would Hardly Want A 5th wheel You Could Shoot a 22. through 7 of those things and it would still kill!
A fifth wheel is highly mobile compared to a brick house. My time in the military taught me that anytime you have the chance to trade in a bit of armor for a bit of mobility, you take that chance, within reason. Having a degree of mobility when TSHTF gives some amazing advantages.

There are some definite downsides to the fifth wheel, but my reason for not having a fifth wheel as a BOL/BOV is not due to the inability to stop rounds.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would put in a call to Jerry. :D:

However, keeping in the spirit of "Let's say".....

At first I thought Death Star. But, even were it possible with unlimited funds (and I believe it would), I would want it done in my lifetime.

So, I am thinking "Survival Moon" or "Survival Asteroid." Smaller, focused on defense (watch those exhaust ports!), but with decent offensive capabilities. Good enough offense to suit needs, but not so good I am tempted to go destroying planets. Then a call to Jerry....

I think that would be better, a Death Star would generate too many "compensating" comments.

Oh, and a "Warning! The wookie has a bowcaster and refuses to take his meds!" sign on the door.

(Guess who was just reading about Star Wars before coming to the forum)

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the lottery, I'd get the proverbial house in the mountains, roof just below the military crest and a built in greenhouse with southern exposure. Well water and solar/wind power with a built in genny. Raise a sustainable amount of Rabbits, chickens, and goats.

BOV will be a normal looking 4x4 pickup with an auxiliary fuel tank and camper shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
A fifth wheel is highly mobile compared to a brick house. My time in the military taught me that anytime you have the chance to trade in a bit of armor for a bit of mobility, you take that chance, within reason. Having a degree of mobility when TSHTF gives some amazing advantages.

There are some definite downsides to the fifth wheel, but my reason for not having a fifth wheel as a BOL/BOV is not due to the inability to stop rounds.
Along those same lines, most of the houses and apartments we live in don't offer much real cover, and most of the cars we drive also won't even reliably stop .22LR. So yep, if we're ruling things out on that, then half the stuff we use has to be discarded.

·
straight shooter
2,164 Posts
I invested heavily in my tribe and it didn't cost that much. Actually, it was rather fun and gave me more peace of mind than silver eagles.

Note: Tribes are not necessarily limited to blood relatives.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Jerry remains "D" Man....

If I EVER had those kinds of funds I would not even start drawing plans before consulting the Great and All Power Yozz

Reactions: Jerry D Young

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
I don't think there's any one ultimate solution.
I think that given the scenario there are more than one optimal solutions. Too many variables to have just one. The first part of the equation starts with you and your skills and abilities.
JMHO

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ultimate location would be somewhere far from people and somewhere where you can get water food and shelter; the mountains pretty much somes that up. I also said having an RV would be a plus, and for some reason people started saying having an RV was bad because bullets can go thru the walls.

Nobody really gave any suggestions on what would be better, so i can pretty much say this is a stupid thread.

OP never said it had to bullet proof and perfect against a total SHTF scenario, but apparently that's what he wanted.

I wasn't saying an RV was the ultuimate place to be in a worst case scenario, but nobody said it was gonna be a doomsday scenario in the first place. Still having an RV at home ready to bugout in seems like a good idea to me; you can use it to get from your current home to the other bugout place. If you have somethin better; great! I'm assuming since you were so lame as to have to ask online on a forum that maybe it might be helpful. But like you already have a bat cave why you online asking stupid questions and don't give any real qualification.

Do you have a budget? apparently unlimited so just buy 1000 acres in Alaska. Build a giant underground system inside of a mountain. Is that a good enough idea for ya? Is that mountain bullet proof enough for ya? Well there ya go! Now go buy that mountain. Build a DUMB underground base like the illuminati.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
What good is an ex-Atlas missile silo with a tricked-out Unimog in the underground garage,
if you cannot get off the couch?
Nothing in this life is more important than good health and physical mobility.
You say "family is". Nope, without good health and mobility, the family is taking care of me, instead of the way it is supposed to be.
Step one before BOL, BOV, weapons, rice and beens, etc is get fit.
Thankfully, it doesn't require winning the lottery to accomplish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.