Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im hoping to relocate to Idaho soon, and was wondering what areas I should look in to that are secluded. Are there areas I should avoid due to crime or any other issues? I live in central IL now, so cold isnt really an issue. Please be specifc about an area so I can concentrate my search for land. There is a lot of places for sale, but Im just not familiar with he micro-climates of different areas. Thank you.

·
Idaho Prepper
227 Posts
If looking for a BOL, I'ld look East of I-15. Seen alot of good areas in Swan Valley. Or North of Idaho Falls. Basically for southeast Idaho I'ld look beween Idaho Falls, and Wyomin, or Between Idaho Falls and Montana.

I dont get up north much, so cant help for northern Idaho.

·
Idaho Prepper
227 Posts
Totally depends on how far iut of town you want to go. Some of the decent BOL land. (Up in the bonnies) I see go for 2-4K an acre in Southeast Idaho.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
I just moved down to New Orleans from Idaho, no jobs there, not much of anything, for fun people used to drive two hours to go square dancing, I kid you not but the recent rise in gas prices have put a noticeable damper on that.

Boise is large enough to have some jobs, but a few minutes drive in any direction gets you out in the boonies.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Idaho ... my second favorite state in the Union. Love that place. Got good friends out there who are two of the best preppers I know.

If it were me I'd look all along 93, somewhere between Salmon and Arco.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
My vote would be for Salmon. I was considering buying land in that area before buying where I am in Montana.

I just had to laugh when I read the part in the OP about avoiding certain areas because of crime. Yeah, avoid areas east of the Mississippi, and on the left coast. :D:

When you get to Idaho, check out Win Co foods, they have great prices on bulk foods.:thumb:

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
If I ever left my state, Idaho would be my pick.
Such a beautiful state from so many angles...

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
Idaho? Hey that is great! A big state with lots of empty space.

OF the three subs that I served on two of them were decommed and their nuclear reactors are stored in Idaho.

In fact the INF facility holds hundreds of old nuclear reactors, plus goobs of other hot stuff.

Here is an aerial photo where you can see old Navy reactors sitting in rows out in the open air. These are not underground, or in water or nothing, just open air, until they cool down. Pretty neat :)

Attachments

·
Got to keep on keepin on
1,648 Posts
Fwiw, depends on your idea of "seclusion".
Do you want to not be able to see your next neighbors or do you not want any at all?!? :taped:
How far do you want to be from the closest Walmart? ;)
The Frank Marshall Wilderness Area is REAL secluded. Just sayin'.:upsidedown:

What are you looking for as far as "land"? Farmland or timber?
The area around Moscow/Lewiston has a pretty good balance plus U of I.

Check this out as a resource for stuff (help wanted, acreage, real estate) in Northern Idaho - Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint/Kootenai, Bonner, Shoshone Counties
http://www.nickelsworth.com/view_ads.html

Good luck whatever you decide! :thumb::thumb:

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
OK, regarding the points raised in this thread:

OP would need to provide more information about what he is looking for. Idaho has a wide range of climate types, from dry high desert in the south to heavy forest in the north. Availability of water, growing seasons, closeness to - or distance from - cities and towns, topography, weather (OP may not think he cares about cold, but he hasn't experienced a northern Idaho winter yet): We need more specifics.

Land in Idaho ranges from REALLY cheap for the remote, steep hillsides you can't build on unless you dig in, to VERY expensive for the garden spots. Lots of rich Californians and folks looking for scenic beauty and isolation are buying up the best areas...

Jobs: Not a whole lot. Low population density and limited industrialization doesn't lead to lots of work. There are heavily urbanized areas where there are more jobs, but of course the closer you get to them, the more people you're around.

There IS crime in Idaho. Lots of it. But it's mostly non-violent crime like vandalism or burglary of unguarded properties. Also, the isolation that draws people who want to get away from it all also draws those who want to do things they don't want people seeing them do. Like grow pot, or cooking meth. And people doing that might have no problem using violence to keep others from seeing and reporting what they're doing...

Don't be fooled by all the trees, vegetation, running water, blue skies, etc, etc. Idaho had a pretty rough and dirty past, with lots of mining that used poisonous substances, smelting that unleashed lead and other toxins, and wastes brought in from outside for storage. Check whatever property you look at VERY carefully for what might be in the soil or water.

I'd suggest looking for property south of Coeur d'Alene, north of Boise. That's a big area, so you can probably find whatever you want there.

Good luck.

·
Pass the beans, please
127 Posts
OK, regarding the points raised in this thread:

I'd suggest looking for property south of Coeur d'Alene, north of Boise. That's a big area, so you can probably find whatever you want there.

Good luck.
North Central Idaho is nice country although north of Sandpoint also some some pretty country. I really like Coeur d'Alene area too. If you are looking for a compromise there is plenty of room in Idaho (around Couer d'Alene - Moscow - Lewiston), Montana (around Kalispel and Missoula), and Northeastern Washington (around Spokane) and the climate is roughly the same. Plenty of wood, water, and agriculture. I really like the Spokane area - particularly the north side of the county. If you are looking for seclusion I would look around Hwy 95 in North Central Idaho or Hwy 2 from Eastern Washington to northwestern Montana.

Washington state is dominated by libs around Seattle but there is no income tax and you can shop in Idaho for half the sales tax on big ticket items. Kettle Falls, Newport, and Omak are all places worth looking at too. Spokane has a good airport, great hospitals, every store you could need, lots of outdoor stuff, great hunting and fishing, and you can get a nice place in the country within an hours drive. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts