Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent the last six months seeding my yard w motion activated solar power lights..Cant get within 50-60 ft of any of my buildings w/o popping a light array…
all of this has been done w the ambient lights all around…even in the woods w my main power off its still kinda bright around…background light ..So Ida comes along and kills power for the county…its dark af around my house…I mounted on ea fence post those little ‘always on’ solar pathway lights..painted the back side of the lens so they only shine outwards…Looking in they take a persons night vision, dim as they are..I also had experimented w a couple of lights that display a dim area of light and flash bright if motion is detected…Put one over my doorstep and one out by a shop building..wasnt my first choice….my pole mounted lights(pic is my driveway coverage)was supposed to be The End..
Im out in the darkness and I realized those dim little night lights were lighting half my yard w a dim glow…when they pop on its Light…
Im always thinking of scenarios..if someone were to get into position and stop moving before I came around, motion isnt enough..Figure Ill need 6 to cover my areas properly…
Another project😂

·
Retired curmudgeon
20,526 Posts
I have a solar motion activated LED driveway light. I get lots of critters around here; deer, moose, raccoons, wild turkeys, neighbor's cats. So something like what you have would be going off at all times of the night. I put up a trail cam and I was amazed at what grazes in my yard at night.

Your yard looks really nice with all the trees and stuff.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a solar motion activated LED driveway light. I get lots of critters around here; deer, moose, raccoons, wild turkeys, neighbor's cats. So something like what you have would be going off at all times of the night. I put up a trail cam and I was amazed at what grazes in my yard at night.

Your yard looks really nice with all the trees and stuff.
Thanks…after we cleared and got done building, I allowed a 50 ft border of cut-over to grow around 3 sides…back has a 100 ft border of pines and Im, almost literally, in a green bowl of vegetation…Left a hole for the driveway and one for the power-line..easier to secure..jmo

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I have 3 led spot lites 35’ off the ground on each side of the cabin .
With ground level Motion detectors but the wild life sets them off All the time and the girls get
scared so now I just point them down at the ground so the wiled life hast to walk close to the door or be allmost under my porch .
But im sure no one is come up in the dark .

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,152 Posts
I have hard wired lights everywhere. Direct burial romex and/or direct burial inside pvc conduit. Even all the way down the drive to the front gate. Some are motion sensor but some are on switches. If I ever need to I can light the place up like the face of the sun.

I do buy a lot of light bulbs and flood lamps, though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's pitch dark here with no ambient light (unless the moon is out and big). I thought about this too and one of the reasons I bought the motion detector solar lights that I got is because they came with a phone app that lets me turn them on for up to 30 minutes.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's pitch dark here with no ambient light (unless the moon is out and big). I thought about this too and one of the reasons I bought the motion detector solar lights that I got is because they came with a phone app that lets me turn them on for up to 30 minutes.
Got a link to those?👍

·
Registered
397 Posts
Got a link to those?👍
These are the ones I got. I haven't yet tested the bluetooth range but I can turn on the one at the workshop from inside the house. And I was wrong - you can turn them on for up to one hour from your phone. Handy when you're working outside in the winter since it gets dark so early, with the added benefit of being able to turn them on if someone/something triggers them.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent yesterday installing 3..3 more to go…I came out to go to wrk at 4:15 this morning..doingvwhat I wanted them to👍

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like them for 'normal' times too, have solar ones all over my shop and back yard. If things ever go sideways, they'll be repurposed. Love the yard, looks like a little slice of Heaven.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've had very good luck with these. Inexpensive and they work. Have one mounted high above my barn door so if anyone comes near the door, it activates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts