Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ID this plant - edible or not? Uses, if any?

Date:
March 30th, 2008

I already know what this plant is. This thread is being posted for the benefit of others.

Hint:
The flower has a very fragrant / nice smell to it. Old timers used to plant this around their houses. It was popular to plant this around a front porch to give the air a fragrant smell.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
No clue, but I would love to know what it is. That is a very nice looking flower. It reminds me of the way honey suckles look. I know it's not a honey suckle.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought this would be a simple one to get.

Anyone care to guess?

No clue, but I would love to know what it is. That is a very nice looking flower. It reminds me of the way honey suckles look. I know it's not a honey suckle.
What makes you think it is not a Honeysuckle?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I thought if I stared at the flower long enough it would come to me, ...sure looks familiar.
Now I'm gonna shotgun the guesses.:D
Flatwoods Plum?
Sweetbay?
some type of buckeye?
Nuclear radiated dogwood?:p

Give some more hints,......native or introduced?

·
Born a REBEL, not a Tory
475 Posts
Yeah I myself thought the flower looked like honeysuckle, but I've only seen vine variety. This looks to be more of a tree type.

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
I too think it is some variety of honeysuckle and I have spent the last hour researching it with no positive outcome so I will patiently await kev's description.

·
(not a) One Man Army...
1,032 Posts
my mom says honeysuckle immediately
I'm gonna say something stupid though:
I assumed that all domestic flowers are edible if they come off a tree...

·
Banned
1,035 Posts
I'm gonna say something stupid though:
I assumed that all domestic flowers are edible if they come off a tree...
That assumption can get you killed. There are many trees with poisonous flowers, especially the farther south you go. One springtime edible that is coming your way is the eastern redbud... read about it at eattheweeds.com type redbud in the archive window.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does anyone know of survival uses for honeysuckles?

The only thing I can think of is sucking them for a second, and that to me is more trouble than it is worth.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
I will say with absolute certainty that it is a form of carbon based life. But it does look like a honeysuckle.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts