Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ID these berries, and are they safe to eat.

Date: October 25th, 2008

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
I know, but to keep it interesting I just say I v.:D:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Not sure but it looks to me like a Weeping Yaupon Holly kev. If it is, I think the berries are only eaten by birds?? Also, if it is the Yaupon, the young leaves and twig tips were used as a purgative, hence the name Ilex Vomitoria.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
I concur, I v = Ilex vomitoria.:thumb:
The berries are eaten by many birds and mammals. Deer will browse the leaves and twigs.
Seems caffeine is the substance that causes humans to barf.

Reactions: Herne

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
If it's Ilex vomitora its berries are toxic...

Ilex vomitoria is not exactly name correctly. The Indians made a daily weak brew from its roasted leaves. In ceremonies they would mix a much stronger brew from green leaves and twigs. The brave who could hold the concoction down the longest was considered the most trustworthy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, Yaupon Holley. The only tree in N.America with caffiene in it (supposedly). Razor had it somewhat right. The old ones dranked it before an important event,like ball games, war, etc. NDN's traded that plant all over the country. Roast the leaves then brew. Taste like coffee/tea mixed. It is a diuretic. Wood is good for crafts/fires. Chew leaves for caffiene withdrawal headaches. One of those berries will make you take a trip & never leave the farm it digested

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the berries are only eaten by birds
as a kid I was told not to eat them, but don't know any more
oda721

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Yep, Yaupon Holley. The only tree in N.America with caffiene in it (supposedly). Razor had it somewhat right. The old ones dranked it before an important event,like ball games, war, etc. NDN's traded that plant all over the country. Roast the leaves then brew. Taste like coffee/tea mixed. It is a diuretic. Wood is good for crafts/fires. Chew leaves for caffiene withdrawal headaches. One of those berries will make you take a trip & never leave the farm it digested
willow bark has caffeine

·
Banned
181 Posts
Im not from east texas but from what ive been taught, if its bright red or black, theres alot on them fruit on single stem, and it appears it hasnt been touched by anything else probly good idea not to eat it lol. But at least its pretty lol.

·
Dixie Till I Die!!!!
56 Posts
what tribes used them like that, do you know?
I know the Creek tribes from alabama used it....So probably the Choctaw,Cherokee and Chicksaw also.

anyone from down Alabama way know if our yaupon holley looks like KEV's pics.

I have been trying to find this plant for sometime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts