Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Acolyte
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So I've had a 22 semi auto rifle for a few years, but I do not have a handgun. I have always wanted one but price has been an issue, However I am finally able to set some money to the side for wants after savings and bills etc.

I would like the cheapest handgun that I can buy that isnt garbage of course and has cheap ammo as well.

I saw this: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/jeremy-s/gun-review-cobra-ca380-cheapest-handgun-america/

and I like the size of it, would that be the way to go? and could I find it cheaper?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Bloodocean7.

·
Retired Army
5,533 Posts
You get what you pay for. If you are that tight on cash I would recommend that you spend it on some other prep. I would never recommend the pistol that you linked.

To get proficient with a handgun you must practice. A lot. The pistol you linked is not up to that task.

I have one like it in a cache but, if I were you, I would look long and hard for a better deal than that. Or, I recommend that you save up some more money to get a higher quality handgun.

Al

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Assuming you mean ''inexpensive" rather than "cheap", your best bet and easiest route may be a used Glock on one of your local classified sites (like Armslist). It's not uncommon to find nice one's in the $375-$450 range.
Some of the older semi-auto rugers can also often be found very inexpensively, and are generally very solid pistols.

edit: I just clicked on your link, and apparantly, you meant inexpensive, AND cheap. If that's your price range, the best advice you're gonna get is to save your money. You might want to consider a budget-oriented pump shotgun instead of a pistol, something like a used Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500, that you should be able to find in the $200 range.
But seriously, steer clear of $100 semi-autos.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,649 Posts
Assuming you mean ''inexpensive" rather than "cheap", your best bet and easiest route may be a used Glock on one of your local classified sites (like Armslist). It's not uncommon to find nice one's in the $375-$450 range.
Some of the older semi-auto rugers can also often be found very inexpensively, and are generally very solid pistols.

edit: I just clicked on your link, and apparantly, you meant inexpensive, AND cheap. If that's your price range, the best advice you're gonna get is to save your money. You might want to consider a budget-oriented pump shotgun instead of a pistol, something like a used Maverick 88 and Mossberg 500, that you should be able to find in the $200 range.
But seriously, steer clear of $100 semi-autos.
What he said:thumb:
I do have a SCCY 9mm, which I found in the $220 range that seems to be okay. I picked up a nice, used Beretta 92s for under $300 that seems to work as well as its more expensive brothers.
If you look around, the Berettas can still be found near that price.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/beretta-model-92s-9mm.html

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Hello! So I've had a 22 semi auto rifle for a few years, but I do not have a handgun. I have always wanted one but price has been an issue, However I am finally able to set some money to the side for wants after savings and bills etc.

I would like the cheapest handgun that I can buy that isnt garbage of course and has cheap ammo as well.

I saw this: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/jeremy-s/gun-review-cobra-ca380-cheapest-handgun-america/

and I like the size of it, would that be the way to go? and could I find it cheaper?

Bloodocean7.
Save up a couple of hundred dollars more and get something descent, buying cheap will get you exactly that, cheap...

·
Learning
6,625 Posts
If your budget is around $200 then the best imo is a cz83.

If you could bumpt up a little high get a Glock of any kind. There are other guns out there too, but there are other various problems.

·
I'm not a prepper
1,377 Posts
Hipoint c9 is the cheapest you should go. It's the best of the worst. And if you aren't willing to take the time to fine tune the magazine feed lips to make it feed reliably, then I wouldn't even recommend one of those.

If it's possible to save up $300 than you will have a lot more reliable options to choose from.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
If you have a trustworthy LGS or a knowledgeable friend you can sometimes find a good used handgun in the $200 - $250 range.

What is your intended use? I see used Bersas, Taruses, entry level Rugers, and even some S&W 38s in that range all the time in my area.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Cobra's are crap... heavy, very stiff spring and not that good of a firearm. I would get a second hand revolver. If you look around on Craigslist for estate sales, you can get good weapons for cheap there (call and ask them). You could always check Pawn shops also, but you'll have to shop around and know how to barter.

·
Start up the rotors
7,654 Posts

Bloodocean7.
Don't buy that. It's as likely to blow up in your hands as anything...
You only have to spend $200 to get a decent pistol.

You can get a Taurus or Bersa or Kel-Tec in that price range all the time.
All are decent pistols. Some may say not "tier 1," :rolleyes: but they're plenty serviceable.
I'd buy a Hipoint before that Cobra. And I'd buy a one of the above before the Hipoint.
Here's a link to a site supporter that shows you good options and what things are going for now:

http://www.slickguns.com/category/hand-guns?caliber=1

Personally I think the Taurus G2 is the best deal in that price range. I've seen them go for $199 also. If you get a 380, you're going to spend more for less capable ammunition. Remember, it's the ammo that costs the most in a gun purchase (assuming you actually spend any time shooting).

Here's another great option in the same price range:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/taurus-pistol-model-85-2-blue-38spl-2-850021fs-85b2fs-23999

I'd carry a snubnose 38 before a crappy 380 always.

If all you can seriously afford is a Hipoint C9, do that. Stay clear of the Cobra/Jennings stuff.

·
Currently surviving SHTF
2,485 Posts
Cobra/Jennings are more dangerous if you tie a length of para cord around the trigger guard and use it as a flail.

Save for a better pistol. A used Ruger P89 would be a good start.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
Hipoint c9 is the cheapest you should go. It's the best of the worst. And if you aren't willing to take the time to fine tune the magazine feed lips to make it feed reliably, then I wouldn't even recommend one of those.

If it's possible to save up $300 than you will have a lot more reliable options to choose from.
I agree, my C9 works fine since I learned to keep it well lubed. I keep it in my BOV.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
You can get a Heritage 22 revolver at Academy for under $200. If you're on a tight budget, go with a caliber that is more affordable... and don't let anyone tell you that a 22 caliber is not adequate. Many lives have been saved (and assassinated) with a 22 caliber. Save up and get a larger caliber when you can afford it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
In the lower-priced auto range, I've had positive experiences in short-term testing with Taurus products.
I'd go that route before Cobra or Hi-Point, if it were me on a budget & it had to be an auto.
Denis

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Bloodocean7.
You don't really want a "cheap" handgun. You want the "best" handgun you can get for your money.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Look on Texasguntrader.com because they have Hi-Point 40's on there for under $200 (or do your own search). I don't own a Hi-Point pistol, but they get good reviews for the price range (they are dependable). I do have their 40 carbine and I love it...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts