Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Constable on a beat
670 Posts
I have met people who I have greatly admired. Mostly because I felt safe
when I was with them. Like somebody competent was in charge and I
was really better off shutting my face and listening up. There is no doubt in my mind that I have met commanders that will rule much should push come to shove.

Tell me what you want in your Commanding Officer.

Field exercise in Korea. it was a ten day exercise if I remember correctly.One of the units.....the Captain got relieved of Command, and it was right that he was relieved.

Female Lieutenant was acting Company Commander. She was Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, Something like that.

Gal stayed on top of things, and with a few of us was up for three and a half days straight ; in the TOC ( tactical operations center ) , in the field, in the map room, and at all the briefings. Constant - nonstop - do not sleep or nap....UP FOR THREE and a half days straight.

She checked on stuff herself. She walked, or her driver drove her where she needed to go.

She never micromanaged.

She never looked over peoples shoulder.

She had a sense of humor.

She give verbal Kudos when needed.

She made others be responsible for their job and their actions.

SHE WAS IN THE THICK of it with the troops.

In the end, after all the doubt against her by her peers - she succeeded. My boss ( an O-6 - Full Bird Colone ) congradulated her. She got two awards ( awards are also promotion points ) for that little exercise.

That Lieutenent was herself. She did not try to impess anyone. "Everyone" elected a male Captain with pits in his face to walk up and shake her hand. He smiled and laughed fakingly to rid the tension of so many people whom doubted her. She stood up to the plate, and with little experience she assumed command and took the bull by the horns ; completing the mission - thus making the entire unit look OUTSTANDING.

For the Lieutenants actions - the entire unit was given three days off the following week. The person whom was so doubted and criticized, whom in the mess tent sat with only one or two people.....made the whole unit look fabulous. My Boss ( again - a Colonel ) wanted to go on a firing spree. It all evened out in the end with "some" of her fellow officers getting bad OER's ( Officer Evaluation Report ). Bad OERs lead to not getting a promotion and eventually your demise in the Army. Some bad OERs follow you in life, especially if you want a Government job after your departure from the Military.

A "Boss"

I like someone whom stands up for their subordinates.

I like a Commander whom installs high morale.

I like a Commander whom is attentive and can see what is in front of them.

I like a Commander whom knows their job and responsibilities, and the jobs and responsibilities of their subordinates. A break down or failure in the system....and they don't have to "Investigate" and "Interview".

I like a Boss who pays attention to the subordinates, and is in tune with what is going on in their surroundings.

I like a Commander whom puts their troops before themselves.

I like someone whom has great leadership skills.

I like a Commander whom is smart, deductive and knows "Smoke" when they see it.

Green Shadow */*

·
Constable on a beat
670 Posts
I have met people who I have greatly admired. Mostly because I felt safe
when I was with them. Like somebody competent was in charge and I
was really better off shutting my face and listening up. There is no doubt in my mind that I have met commanders that will rule much should push come to shove.

Tell me what you want in your Commanding Officer.

I have met some outstanding Commanders in my Military career. Officers from 0-1 all the way to 0-8.

Also.....I have met Warrant Officers whom had no equals in their job specialty, and in leadership.

And I have met some officers, whom could not lead a kindergarten class to the playground. Total idiots. And yes, it does happen.

And yes it is true, for the most part - the Officer Corp in the Military does look out for each other......good and bad.

Green Shadow -*-

·
Constable on a beat
670 Posts
Just a general question for this thread. In your experience do "Mustangs" prior enlisted make better officers? I've met quite a few and most were top notch.

From my time - "Mustangs" ( Enlisted to Officer ) was largely a term in the U.S. Navy.

For my branch "Army" , most are enlisted, they get completely out and get a college degree, then come back in as an Officer ; after completing Officer Candidate School, IF COLLEGE was not a ROTC gig.

Just not too long ago, the U.S. Army offered to selected Soldiers....to get out of the Army ; go to college and get a degree ; then come back in. ALL WHILE still getting paid. They still got a check each month, still had healthcare, and still had a ton of other benefits.....TO GO TO COLLEGE and get a degree. THAT was a good deal.

"Mustangs" do not necessarily make better Officers, but they are a credit to the unit they are in, and a benefit to the Branch ( Infantry - Armor - Artillery - Cavalry ) that they are in. One big plus, is that they get along with enlisted and senior enlisted.....because they themselves were enlisted once. It is a respect thing. Basic Training versus ROTC or Officer Candidate School ( not easy ). Enlisted respect someone who went to "Boot Camp" more than they do for someone whom done the ROTC ( Rot-See ) or O.C.S.....and again.....O.C.S is not easy for any of the branches.

I went to Basic Training with a African American male, whom was going to Jump School and O.C.S......AFTER Basic Training and Advanced training. His last name was Clarke ( think I spelled that right ). Clarke was all there, smart and intelligent, and he done very well in Basic Training.

Officers are Officers, good or bad. "Mustangs" do not differ or separate themselves from other Officers other than they have more respect, and in some instances....more trust from the enlisted. Either an Officer knows their job and they know how to lead, or they don't.

Not all branches have Warrant Officer ( Job Specific Officers - Experts in their field..... And I mean No **** experts whom are demn good.). But if one wishes to make the Military a career, I recommend the Warrant Officer route. Retirement and pension.....Warrant Officer is the only way to go. And no one can really mess with a Warrant Officer. Also in a sense Warrant Officers can tell a Commissioned Officer ( Lieutenant to Colonel ) what they think.....and get by with it.

Green Shadow */*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.