Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I love guns
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Riots and protests in Reykjavik calling for the government of Iceland to resign have increased following a financial catastrophe that has wiped out half of the krona’s value and put one third of the population at risk of losing their homes and life savings. Could similar scenes of civil unrest be repeated in the United States as the economy continues to implode?
“It was the latest in a series of protests in the capital since October’s banking collapse crippled the island’s economy. At least five people were injured and Hordur Torfason, a well-known singer in Iceland and the main organiser of the protests, said the protests would continue until the government stepped down,” reports the Scotsman.
As crowds gathered in the drizzle before the Althing, the Icelandic parliament, on Saturday, Mr Torfason said: “They don’t have our trust and they are no longer legitimate.”

http://www.prisonplanet.com/iceland-riots-precursor-to-us-civil-unrest.html

·
Registered
525 Posts
sooo, you say it cant happen here

There is a nice Max Keiser video on the web (Goggle Max Keiser and Iceland). The video was made a year before the Icelandic economy tanked and the country essentially went bankrupt. Max lays out what was going to happen, sure enough, he got it exactly right. I am sure there were Icelanders that watched his video and said "it cant happen here", sound familiar, I hear it a lot these days. Once you have recovered from that video check out another Max Keiser video, "the death of the dollar", pretty scary stuff, and the scary part is he is absolutely right on the mark.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
For the past two or three days, there has been some massive rioting in Greece in response to the police shooting and killing a 15 y/o kid.

Thailand is in chaos as well with protestors shutting down their main airport.

Even today in Illinois, workers have taken control of a glass factory in prostest of layoffs without severance.

Hmmm, methinks the S is hitting the fan...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh my gosh, just because something happens in another country does not mean that its a precurser to soemthing happening to the US. Other countries have their own problems to deal with too.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Pairiegirl, with globalization in effect the world over, it is a domino effect. Did you not read that the US stock market tanking had effects on the European AND Asian markets?

When huricaine IKE hit Houston, it cause fuel shortages in Georgia.

When oil was up, the cost of everything went up. Yes. When something happens overseas, it can affect the US as well. If Mexico and central america had good economies, do you not think that the illegal immigration issue would be much less than it is now? We do not see Canadians pouring over our northern border.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Yes the riots will have spread all over by summer. There will be world wide revolutions before all is said and done. We haven't seen nuthin yet!

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
In his 1939 book The Grapes of Wrath, author John Steinbeck described the flight of families from the Dust Bowl: "And then the dispossessed were drawn west--from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico; from Nevada and Arkansas, families, tribes, dusted out, tractored out. Car-loads, caravans, homeless and hungry; twenty thousand and fifty thousand and a hundred thousand and two hundred thousand. They streamed over the mountains, hungry and restless--restless as ants, scurrying to find work to do--to lift, to push, to pick, to cut--anything, any burden to bear, for food. The kids are hungry. We got no place to live. Like ants scurrying for work, for food, and most of all for land."

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
PG, the world doesn't determine our reactions to crisis, or perceived crisis. You are right, if that's what you were saying, that what they DO doesn't predict our future.

But...... were are tied to *the world* economically, and the general health of the interrelated aspects of our financial systems can give us a taste of what is possible regarding the system itelf.

The reactions of riots, protests, crime, relocations, workplace changes, etc...., those will be determined by the thoughts, fears, beliefs and prejudices of each person affected.

I hate to say it, but we're much more likely to see behavior of the bad sort much more so than during the Great Depression, if conditions deteriorate appropriately.

So, while the news from the rest of the world doesn't mean it's here, and that the poop is rapidly dispersing from the blades, it could be a warning that the international financial pressures do pose a threat to us. We can be pushed that way.....

I wish we were much more isolated from that garbage, but that is more and more less the case than it was when I was growing up...

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Iceland may be a preview of comming attractions.

But the Icelanders are "tamed down" and are a homogenious society, yet look what their response is. It's not pretty.

It's a given that these bailouts were only to temporarily "stabilize" the economy before the election--in order to have a "peaceful" election, holiday season and political transition.

If not, the banks would have closed, and SHTF. Period.
All the wrong moves were made--for all the wrong reasons.

They were are are temporary fixes.
Next Feb we will probably see the result of all this foolishness.
It will most likely start with "bank holidays" (meaning they're closed for periods of time).
And it will build from there.

Along the way, most everthing will be stolen from us.
And this is where things will get nasty.
People are beginning to wake up.
There is a reason for the gun purchasing spree--and Mr. O is not the main reason.
It's because a lot of people know something wicked this way comes.
They are getting ready for the worst case scenario.
It may not get to be TWCS--but if we approach it half way? 3/4?
What will happen?

T

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
On first blush it would seem a silly idea... but on reflection it is interesting that a very non-diverse small population -- Iceland -- would riot. It is not a society of a lot of diversity.... cough cough.... That would suggest a more fractured society would certainly riot.

As for Greece, there is more involved ....youth there are used to being protected from the police no matter what they do (the cops, for example, are forbidden to enter campuses et cetera.) So the kids are shocked that they can be shot and killed for misbehaving.

·
Registered
501 Posts
PG, the world doesn't determine our reactions to crisis, or perceived crisis. You are right, if that's what you were saying, that what they DO doesn't predict our future.

But...... were are tied to *the world* economically, and the general health of the interrelated aspects of our financial systems can give us a taste of what is possible regarding the system itelf.

The reactions of riots, protests, crime, relocations, workplace changes, etc...., those will be determined by the thoughts, fears, beliefs and prejudices of each person affected.

I hate to say it, but we're much more likely to see behavior of the bad sort much more so than during the Great Depression, if conditions deteriorate appropriately.

So, while the news from the rest of the world doesn't mean it's here, and that the poop is rapidly dispersing from the blades, it could be a warning that the international financial pressures do pose a threat to us. We can be pushed that way.....

I wish we were much more isolated from that garbage, but that is more and more less the case than it was when I was growing up...
I was trying to say exactly what your first sentence was. Who knows what the future holds? It could all change tomorrow and there are many factors that may or may not be present in the US that provoked the actions in other countries.

·
Thread Killer
781 Posts
I was trying to say exactly what your first sentence was. Who knows what the future holds? It could all change tomorrow and there are many factors that may or may not be present in the US that provoked the actions in other countries.
Ignorance must be so ****ing blissful. :headshake:

·
Registered
360 Posts
how is she ignorant? all she is saying is that we are all not going to react in a given way in a given situation, and she is right... if thats ignorance then you're naive

·
Registered
76 Posts
whether we agree or not that iceland's problem is a precursor to our own, and whether we agree or not that things will change around and we'll have a happy future ...

we're all here on a survivalist forum together, obviously we agree that we need to keep on plugging away at our preparations, no matter what. so get going!

:upsidedown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I heard from an acquaintance on Saturday that the same thing has happened in Azerbaijan and in Ukraine. The currency has lost half its value in the last week, and it's not looking promising. World economists (and this is only what I heard, so don't shoot the messenger) are predicting a world depression.

It's not looking good, folks.

-Ny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts