Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally scored a 275 gallon IBC tote thanks to a neighbor. Paid $75. It is made by Mauser and from a guide online, I believe it is a 2" g bsp size fitting? I can't find anywhere that sells a hose adapter that aligns with this description. Everywhere either lists "fine" or "coarse" threads. Where have you guys bought your adapters?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any good hardwear store should carry the adaptors for 2 inch to garden hose; as Home Depot, Lowes or Westlakes. I got mine at Menards.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I finally scored a 275 gallon IBC tote thanks to a neighbor. Paid $75. It is made by Mauser and from a guide online, I believe it is a 2" g bsp size fitting? I can't find anywhere that sells a hose adapter that aligns with this description. Everywhere either lists "fine" or "coarse" threads. Where have you guys bought your adapters?
Does it have a valve?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I used some PVC with a bushing and hose bib. I used a flexible adapter which came with hose clamps. put one end on the tote and the other on pvc. I have two on the hill behind the barn. I stuck a washing machine hose on the to cage. I can use a garden hose with the washing machine hose to hook it up to main water line at a hose bib. I can turn the main water valve off and have a gravity system which is self contained. My two totes would give me 500 gallons of water. I had three totes but the seams split on one of them

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
I got mine at a recycle yard and washed them out with alcohol.
I set up a float valve (trough or swamp cooler) mounted it on the main filler and use drip system tubing to both feed it and run water to the chickens.
I have two and might get a third.
City water feeds it so if the city water is shut off I have them to fall back on including a few other containers. Some containers are just water from run off and the roof and nothing more than fire protection.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I couldn't find an adapter to fit my IBC tote. I did find a PVC coupling and some reducers at the hardware store that brought me down to hose bib diameter. I then heated up the PVC enough to be able to thread the brass hose bib into it. Works fine. I always make sure to empty the tote and take the makeshift fitting off in winter. My first one cracked because I neglected to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I used some PVC with a bushing and hose bib. I used a flexible adapter which came with hose clamps. put one end on the tote and the other on pvc. I have two on the hill behind the barn. I stuck a washing machine hose on the to cage. I can use a garden hose with the washing machine hose to hook it up to main water line at a hose bib. I can turn the main water valve off and have a gravity system which is self contained. My two totes would give me 500 gallons of water. I had three totes but the seams split on one of them
Unfortunately you need more pressure than a few feet of gravity to make a toilet valve work, because of a back flow valve.
And that would be the best use for raw tote water.

If you can make a toilet valve work with a gravity flow water system, you would be advancing the current best wisdom of survivalist methodology.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Unfortunately you need more pressure than a few feet of gravity to make a toilet valve work, because of a back flow valve.
And that would be the best use for raw tote water.

If you can make a toilet valve work with a gravity flow water system, you would be advancing the current best wisdom of survivalist methodology.
There is a 30' drop from the hill behind the barn and the house. At the barn, I look down into the second story windows. In a time of chaos, we would not be wasting water in the toilet. Out house time.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
There is a 30' drop from the hill behind the barn and the house. At the barn, I look down into the second story windows. In a time of chaos, we would not be wasting water in the toilet. Out house time.
30 ft will give you 13 lb of pressure, that should make a toilet valve work.
I know about the white corn cobs and the red cobs! been “out there” done that.
The middle of winter, in the middle of the night, will get your goat!
It is nice to go indoors, sometimes.
But of course when you use an outhouse, you learn about timing.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,239 Posts
30 ft will give you 13 lb of pressure, that should make a toilet valve work.
I know about the white corn cobs and the red cobs! been “out there” done that.
The middle of winter, in the middle of the night, will get your goat!
It is nice to go indoors, sometimes.
But of course when you use an outhouse, you learn about timing.
That's why you use an portable chemical toilet. Use it indoors, dump it in the outhouse later.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Yes. Red handle. I've been able to ID and measure the thread pitch, but I can't find anyone SELLING the to the correct specs. Should I just order the closest seeming thing?
I had the same issue, that is why I measured it and got the flex fitting. I think they were for sewer pipe. the have worked for over 10 years. If you want a hard fitting try Tractor supply or an other agriculture supply store. the totes are used to carry fertilizer and pesticides so there are ag fittings.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Yes. Red handle. I've been able to ID and measure the thread pitch, but I can't find anyone SELLING the to the correct specs. Should I just order the closest seeming thing?
No wait until you get the right specifications. Close will not work.
What did you get on the measurements?

Does the valve have a 2” male camlock fitting, Like most totes do?
Or Does the valve have male or female threads?
My tote has a male camlock fitting with 2” male NPT threads on the outer portion of the fitting.
I used a standard 2” NPT PVC coupling and a reducer to get it down to 3/4” FPT (female NPT).

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
There is a dealer of used containers near by so I measured a few totes.

1- If the threads are about 58mm od that is a 2” NPT you can use a 2” PVC coupling with threads on one end and a glue joint on the other end. And then use a reducer bushing 2” to 3/4 FTP (female NPT)
The 2” NPT threads were on older totes, most of the newer ones were 63mm od.

2- If the threads are about 63mm that is a British pipe size BSP, 2” or 2 1/8” which is hard to find in the USA, and is mostly used for the dust cap.
so skip over the threads and use 2” female cam lock (camlock) fitting with a 3/4” FPT
Here is one on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332508690107 for about $22.
Hope that helps.

·
Always Loaded
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ended up rolling the dice and buying the fine thread option from Amazon. Success, sort of. Threads are perfect, but they are not long enough on my tote and it doesn't make a perfect seal. My options are to cut/sand the ring on the tote valve blocking full threading, or cut the attachment thread section down. As the tote is worth $150 and the adapter $16, I think its the adapter. Either way, I have 90% success. As long as I use the tanks valve I have a good seal. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts