Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Assuming that you have nothing but your hands, a lean-too type shealter is the best imho. Basicaly you just find, or make somthing sturdy to lean sticks, logs, and or branches up aganset. there pleanty of toturals on google on how to make them. the best part about them is that there all natural so they blend in and are easy to build.

for water, thats a bit more tricky. fire is the most important thing so that shuold be your first priority. water on hot coals until it starts to boil is the surest way to make it safe. you can also make a crude filter out of sand, rocks, big leaves, and coals from your fire.

·
Registered
205 Posts
for water, thats a bit more tricky. fire is the most important thing so that shuold be your first priority. water on hot coals until it starts to boil is the surest way to make it safe. you can also make a crude filter out of sand, rocks, big leaves, and coals from your fire.
Best to boil and filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we ok lets assume you have a survival kit with you....
im only 17 and would like to know some survivaly things because
i am able to go hunt by myself now lol

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
For quick shelter, bend a small tree (pine is excellent) over. Stake it down, cut limbs or dead branches to lean on it. Water, boil it and pour it thru a cloth when it cools down.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Again there is sooo much info on this, online. learn about the plants and animals in your area and the area of your bug out location. like i said before, there many ways to do thies things. A common misconception is that you need to boil water for X amount of time before its safe. Infact, once water reaches a boil its safe to drink. When looking for an area for a shealter, take in accuon where the water is going to go in a down poor, or if there are any animal tracks near by.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i live in georgia...i will be hunting hog in south ga near the swamps...and i will be hunting deer and turkey many places...sooo this is why im trying to figure out the point blank necesities of survival like....water and shelter....

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
In even the most remote areas,you will find litter.Namely,aluminum cans,which can easily be used to boil water with.Just have to look for them.Along stream banks and shorelines are good areas.Also keep an eye out for plastic pop bottles,which can store the water after being boiled.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
The reason i asked it because i was born in GA, i also lived in North GA for a year or so.

Ga is tricky because of how wet it is and because it never really "freezes over" like northern states do. Because of this there is alot of nasty stuff in the waters. It would be a VERY good idea to invest in a good water filter, somthing i havent done yet but will soon. I have heard alot of good things about katadyn filters. No matter what, always boil.

I noticed your thread in the knife section, remimber to watch the weight your carring. I know how GA heat can get ;)

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
A military spec poncho and atleast 100' of 550 cord is a MUST aswell. in GA I stayed away from tents because of how wet it gets and the creepy crawlys, and got a hammock and a bug net.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i think when i get my paycheck i will definitly get a water filtration system of some sort. thanks for the help if there are any more helpful things i need to know just throw them at me lol...becasue my step dad was talkign about dropping me off in the woods to get me ready for the army training..

(the survival part)

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
yeah i think when i get my paycheck i will definitly get a water filtration system of some sort. thanks for the help if there are any more helpful things i need to know just throw them at me lol...becasue my step dad was talkign about dropping me off in the woods to get me ready for the army training..

(the survival part)
that wouldent be a half bad idea, try to only get an hour of sleep a day and get used to surviving that way. Thats the way you'll be doing it in the military.
This is a good source of info;

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival.htm

there is SOOOO much info, it'd be easer if you give me a scenario and i'll tell you what i'd do, then you can cross-reference it with others.:thumb:

Military survival is geared twords combat survival, which is alot different than just surviving.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Filters are fine, but have limited capacity and really silty water can clog them fast. Boiling is always safe if no chemical pollution is present. I carry a messkit with a trangia stove in it and a GI metal canteen. With a bandana filter to get the large bits, I am good on water.
Shelter- I cheat a bit- carry a mesh hammock that rolls up about the size of two fists, and a poncho with poncho liner. That makes for good shelter in most places down to about 45*F. Then I start needing a blanket or sleeping bag.
Knife and firesteel take care of fire building.

·
Registered
22 Posts
when empty handed... which is way more manly then having stuff with you... you can make a fire, put rocks in that fire... take the rocks out when they are glowing hot and then throw your water on them. the water that evaporates must be caught on leaves you have hang above the fire, not to close obviously, and then the leaves will be dripping with fresh water... you should try and find a way to capture it right, but there are several ways you can use, but thats up to your own creativity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts