Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an interesting meeting tonight. I guess I live in a rather unique community. Our church sponsored a Emergency Preparedness meeting and had the representative from our county that deal with emergency planning come speak. He is the county head of Homeland security and interfaces with FEMA. It turns out that the guy is the uncle of my best friend (and a decent guy with his head screwed on straight). I have known him all my life and in several months will be moving in about five houses down the street. He seems to know his stuff since he was at the aftermath of the WTC after 9/11 and was involved in Katrina. He has seen the mistakes and is determined to not have that happen in his own community. He is pushing for our communities to be aware and self reliant. He is trying to get more people to become capable HAM operators etc etc.

The cool thing for me is that this guy has his ear to the ground like few can. He receives info before anyone else about possible dangers etc.

What is even more interesting was the community turnout. I went early to sit, be quiet and watch. They were saying they would be happy if 20 people bothered to show up, and there ended up being about 100 people there. A significant number of those were my closest neighbors… Seems like I am not surrounded by sheeple so much as being right in the middle of a wolf pack! :D

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Good post,MM. Food for thought, unlike our noble brethren above, my AO may be more receptive to something like this. Hmm, must ponder...............:cool:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
MM, you make me jealous.

The sheeple here are just plain ubiquitous. I've spoken with quite a few, and they really expect the gov to bail them out. Our town council is just as bad.

·
Going Postal
14 Posts
I live across town from MM under the same umbrella of authority, and I am right in the middle of the flocking sheep! These are the people who already travel from here to the suburbs to rob houses while the owners are at work. Somebody needs to be ready around here because it sure isn't going to be my neighbors. Most of them already have a bug out location called old mexico...

·
Registered
154 Posts
MM, you make me jealous.

The sheeple here are just plain ubiquitous. I've spoken with quite a few, and they really expect the gov to bail them out. Our town council is just as bad.

I guess people haven't been paying attention to the disasters in the US, like hurricanes. Do NOT expect the gov't to bail you out, it has been shown to us.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I'm glad the government is going to be here to protect me and keep me safe if anything happens. Well, I guess I wasted my money on guns and food.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's good to have people in town be interested in being prepared. When our town put up a community center the people in this community worked to make it off grid. When that happened many people from town took notice and more and more of them are putting systems together to make their own power. When the town received the grants from Homeland Security they sent out people to help us set up our own security in case of disaster. Many people from town showed up at the meetings. When FEMA came for the floods last June not many peole here asked for help because most were ready for it and we all worked together and made certain our town was protected.

Sometimes it takes people like your friend's uncle to get the ball rolling and get the nieghborhood to start thinking about their own security. I too think that the town outside our little survival community is more ready than most to take care of itself. My son and I are in a great place too.

BLT

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were two great things about this meeting that stood out to me.
First was that even though this guy was a government guy HE KNOWS that the government can not get the job done at almost any level. What they can do comes too little, too late, and with too many strings attached. He has taken it upon himself to activate the community. He wants neighbors to be able to help neighbors. He has empowered very small cities and communities around the county to be able to act without outside help. He said something very interesting about how he works with emergencys. He said that the first thing he asks for when he gets to some type of disaster (we have alot of floods and fires) is the local church leaders. He said that they are usually MUCH more organized and aware of community resources than anyone else, and that usually they can fix things much faster than any level of government!

The second thing that stood out to me was the number of people in attendance. There were about 5 times the number of people than they had hoped for. Most were older, but there were a bunch that were younger and those are the people that get relied on for the tough stuff. Also like I mentioned before more than half of my closest neighbors showed up, and of those several have heavy equipment like dump trucks, loaders, backhoes, and tractors etc. That means that on some level my closest neighbors are uncomfortable about their view of the world and are interested in doing something about it.

My greatest fear about SHTF issues is that the government at the Federal level will show up. If our community is self reliant then there is no need for them to be here, and they can go bother someone else... (keeping fingers crossed).

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We had a similar meeting in our town about 3 weeks ago. They had people from FEMA, the State dept.of health and Homeland security.
The drill was a large triage for a pandemic.
Was surprized to see 120 + volunteers show up. The drill was to happen on Saturday at the criuise ship dock. The goal was to process 250 people an hour, to encourage the public to come they were giving free flu shots.
During the question and answer period of the first meeting , yours truly had to ask if this was going to be the first work shop and would others cover treatment for N.B.C.
Most folks didn't know what that was, but the gal from FEMA was good enough to explain. She said no, they didn't have the funding for than.
Then I mentioned we had already had a biological attack of sorts , the cruise ships had brought in several hundred passengers sick with the Norwalk virus and had infected our town.
And my thoughts on a pandemic such as the avian flu virus was better treated by isolating the infected rather than gathering them up to infect the healthy.
To make a long story short, I was told my services as a volunteer were not needed, as I had scared too many people already.
Got to learn to keep my mouth shut.......Alaskan

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing like thinking it through, offering advice to the unprepared and being shut down. Maybe you ought to do something on the community level (since you have so many volunteers) to protect yourselves against FEMA directed incompetence. If you guys don't have a plan of action they will take over. If a plan for isolation/quarenteen of sick and infected is local policy and you map out a plan, then you can force outsiders to abide.

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
Nothing like thinking it through, offering advice to the unprepared and being shut down. Maybe you ought to do something on the community level (since you have so many volunteers) to protect yourselves against FEMA directed incompetence. If you guys don't have a plan of action they will take over. If a plan for isolation/quarenteen of sick and infected is local policy and you map out a plan, then you can force outsiders to abide.

That makes more sense than anything I've read all night.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There were two great things about this meeting that stood out to me.
First was that even though this guy was a government guy HE KNOWS that the government can not get the job done at almost any level. What they can do comes too little, too late, and with too many strings attached. He has taken it upon himself to activate the community. He wants neighbors to be able to help neighbors. He has empowered very small cities and communities around the county to be able to act without outside help. He said something very interesting about how he works with emergencys. He said that the first thing he asks for when he gets to some type of disaster (we have alot of floods and fires) is the local church leaders. He said that they are usually MUCH more organized and aware of community resources than anyone else, and that usually they can fix things much faster than any level of government!

The second thing that stood out to me was the number of people in attendance. There were about 5 times the number of people than they had hoped for. Most were older, but there were a bunch that were younger and those are the people that get relied on for the tough stuff. Also like I mentioned before more than half of my closest neighbors showed up, and of those several have heavy equipment like dump trucks, loaders, backhoes, and tractors etc. That means that on some level my closest neighbors are uncomfortable about their view of the world and are interested in doing something about it.

My greatest fear about SHTF issues is that the government at the Federal level will show up. If our community is self reliant then there is no need for them to be here, and they can go bother someone else... (keeping fingers crossed).

The more that can be taken care of locally the less the government will try to stick it's nose into you business. During the floods this spring FEMA was barely here and we had no road closers in the immediate area. We were still able to move out and about in the local area because we didn't need FEMA. The town had put up a community center awhile back and it was opened up for those who had lost their homes. Food was brought in from local sources. The people who had lost their homes did all the cooking and cleaning and policing themselves. Most people here don't like to be helpless and so while needed the shelter, food, and things for living, they did all the work for themselves.

I agree that it is best to be able to take care of people from the local level. Use the most organized groups, which usually means the churches, to get things done. It's best to start now by having meetings in the town. You may be personally able to take care of yourself and your family but if the people in the area can't then you have to know the government will be coming. They have the right to take over your lands to run their rescue too. If you have the land that a road will need to be built on you won't even get a warning before FEMA is building that road. It happened in another flood area

Once FEMA moves in they stay forever and take over things. One town had its local cafe closed down because FEMA needed it as a base camp. When FEMA went someplace the roads were closed to the rest of us. FEMA set up in farm fields for their helicopters to land and took all the rental cars from the big city's airport. They bulldozed a road along the high ground to a town that was flooded and it went through all private land. Most people are willing to help, but it's hard to watch your woods or your crops be plowed up even though you know that road is needed to get help to people in trouble.

At the meeting we had about being prepared FEMA was quick to let us know that to get help from them would be a long process and we would have to be patient with them. In fact the repeated that over and over, people have to be patient with FEMA. Here we get things done much faster. No paperwork needed, just a community that can take care of itself.

BLT

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swamp: It is stories like yours that give me hope for my country. We are still full of good people, with skills, and heart enough to help our neighbors. My salvation does not lie 3000miles away in Washington DC. It lies right between my own two hands. I should be able to help my neighbor with my skills, but at the same time he should not EXPECT that I do for him what he is capable yet unwilling to do for himself.

I guess this fight rests in the lies that have been preached to us for 70+ years that society and government know best and that the individual means nothing. Those are the worst lies! The individual is EVERYTHING. With out decent individuals you can not have decent familys, communities, society, or government.

The more of us that do for ourselves, the more we inspire others to do for themselves. Individualism is a very powerful thing. The more people that become strong individually the less power others can have over them. There are groups in this country that thrive on the 'victim' class. The fewer victims the less their power. Government and those that feel the need to run it gain power when you become dependant on them for what you used to do for yourself.

Organize yourself, your family, your neighborhood, your community, your county, your state, your country...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts