Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Southeast Texas the weather has been wet and miserable for weeks. We have had gray skies, rain, fog... miserable weather to do anything outside.

I have plans for spring:

Planting fruit trees
Fishing
Hiking
Nature photography
Target shooting
Gardening

A large portion of my spring will be about expanding my fruit orchard, and planting the spring garden. Thinking about getting another dozen chicks this spring, but not sure. My current flock its at around 15, maybe 18 chickens with one rooster and a couple of guineas.

Hopefully just a few more weeks of this miserable weather and soem of us can move onto bigger and better things.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,936 Posts
I would suggest more chicks this spring, "I" want to have plenty in case of "hard times" for meat & eggs (for more than a month or less) . I'm also wanting spring to get here, had strange weather and very cold air starting to move in this w/e . We have around 75 chickens with about 20 roosters about ready to need put in freezer. Have hens that will sit and a nice forced air incubator "just in case"

I like a mix of heavy breeds many of which lay good in winter as well as summer for a ready and delicious food source.

Reactions: kev

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
TODAY We just received another 8" of snow and it is still falling.
They are predicting up to 12".

I don't feel sorry for you and your rain.

Still,
I will take it over the bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, heat, snakes, and all those other joys of life in a warmer clime.:thumb:

·
Forum Administrator
16,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still,
I will take it over the bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, heat, snakes, and all those other joys of life in a warmer clime.:thumb:

August 2018 my dogs and I were on a hiking trip and walked up on a baby cottonmouth.

Luckily I saw it before the dogs got too close.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I had a co-worker years ago from Bozeman, MT he said he could put on enough clothes to get warm but couldn't take off enough to get cool.

Darrell was from Bozeman and Beth from Poison. Beth decided she wasn't going to move anymore and they ended up living in Napa, CA until they both passed.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,936 Posts
I`m waiting for spring also. 5 1/2 feet of snow so far this year and to many days of sheets of ice on every road. I`m over it :)
I can understand ! I despise icy roads , and really like being able to get things done outside, ice & cold, cold weather put a huge damper on that. Come on spring!

Reactions: kev

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,936 Posts
I forgot to metion another good reason for more chicks, predators, you can easily lose a dozen or more quickly and be down to no chickens too easy. I have a large lot with electric fencing around the entire perimeter , which doesn't help with hawks at all. I've found the aerial pyrotechnics sold for pest control (birds) work the best at keeping them to remember their fear of man! The "bangers & screamers" you don't need ATF permit to have or use.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
August 2018 my dogs and I were on a hiking trip and walked up on a baby cottonmouth.

Hiking With Dogs We Find a CottonMouth Snake - YouTube

Luckily I saw it before the dogs got too close.
I LIVED in Winter Park Fla years before Disney ever thought of Orlando. We were on a lagoon off a river that fed Lake Maitland.

It was nothing to have gators sunning themselves in the back yard. Going down to the boat was a real experience. You had to watch for the snakes then when you made it to the boat you had to beat on it to see if any Cottonmouth or other winners got inside. Several times we had to kill one in the boat before we could get in.

Little girl next door was out playing in her sandbox when she let out a scream. I was already outside and cut through the hedge to find a rather large Eastern diamondback coming to join her in the box. Grabbed a shovel and took care of that. While living there several people on the street were finding poisonous snakes getting into their houses.

NOPE..
I'll take the cold and snow over southern critter world any time.:thumb:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here in Southeast Texas the weather has been wet and miserable for weeks. We have had gray skies, rain, fog... miserable weather to do anything outside.

I have plans for spring:

Planting fruit trees
Fishing
Hiking
Nature photography
Target shooting
Gardening

A large portion of my spring will be about expanding my fruit orchard, and planting the spring garden. Thinking about getting another dozen chicks this spring, but not sure. My current flock its at around 15, maybe 18 chickens with one rooster and a couple of guineas.

Hopefully just a few more weeks of this miserable weather and soem of us can move onto bigger and better things.
My script for spring looks a whole lot like yours.

I grew up in Texas and had a career in Arkansas. I'm retired in Arkansas.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
60 deg. lat. says hi.

That's live feed from city center. I think we had snow twice this winter, first was in early november and lasted for few days. Second time jan. 5th and it was all gone after one full day.

Just rain and darkness, ugh. Full moon looks pretty at 4:30pm tho.

I agree wholeheartedly, spring won't be here a moment too soon this year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You’re tellin’ me Kev! I’m getting tired of winter here in Michigan. I guess it’s fun when we get packable snow though so I can go out there with the kids and help them make igloos and stuff. They seem to enjoy it, and i enjoy seeing them with smiles on their faces. On the other hand, we are all ready for spring as well. I have a bunch of stuff to do. I have to finish up our deck, add a pergola, level of the raised area around the paver patio that was there before i constructed the deck. Then the woman and i decided to try raised gardens this year... if money allows. With four kids it’s a rare thing to see. Gotta replace a couple fence posts, write up the house so i can hook a generator up, all that fun stuff. Tons of painting to do, both in and out. Then i have some work i need to do to my blazer, I’ve been putting it off too long. Spark plug wires need replaced and I need to change my cv joint, as well as a pinion seal on my front diff. In cold times like this i only do the bare minimal.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
GOT UP..

STILL SNOWING...

gonna be a long time plowing the drive after this one.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
885 Posts
Warm then cold in NE Texas. Ready to get a new garden started. Getting chickens too. City life is a whole lot different than my past 40 years in the country. Preps have dwindled in the past 3 years just trying to make ends meet. Things are looking up though. The new wife is totally on board. Virginia is renewing my burden for self reliance and disaster preparedness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,781 Posts
here in a month or so i plan to build some raised bed boxes and fence them in. also have in mind to try to plant some perennials/wild edibles along the perimeter of the property.

Reactions: Aceoky
1 - 20 of 24 Posts