Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there's a trading post section, I couldn't find it! I blame 6am :3

I am currently looking to purchase a used no-frills AK47 or AR-15(Needs to be able to have a scope mounted, none of those crazy uppers that look like handles plz!, must be usable apoun recieving.. I'm not very good at mechanical stuff, so would probobly blow my face off if I did anything :) ). My budget is about 750 or less(Yea, good luck >.>). I am willing to trade(In addition to money), seeds from this year's harvest, handwoven cloth(in various colours), planter boxes(Hanging and standing), MREs, a slightly used 10-30 degree rated sleeping bag(Mummy bag style), Backpacks and satchels(In varying sizes). I can also happily make custom day-packs for you.

Willing to trade the following skills: Tailoring, Leatherworking, Sculpting(Not that it'll do much good on this community :p), casting in latex or resin. The rest of my skills are limited to animal husbandry and growing crop :/

·
Registered
199 Posts
With your budget, your choice is going to be the AK-47. Quite frankly, it is the better choice IHMO (no AR15 flame) based on reliability, ease of cleaning and maintenance, and stopping power. You could easily find a WASR-10 or AMD-65 for that price range.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
With your budget, your choice is going to be the AK-47. Quite frankly, it is the better choice IHMO (no AR15 flame) based on reliability, ease of cleaning and maintenance, and stopping power. You could easily find a WASR-10 or AMD-65 for that price range.
Yep. For the price the AK is the way to go....don't forget you'll need mags, ammo, cleaning supplies, some training.

·
Registered
199 Posts
AIM Surplus has the AMD-65 in stock right now for $550

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Hungarian_FEG_AMD-65_7.62x39_Rifle.html

You can also get an AK from http://classicarms.us/ as they have some in stock too. Getting one in the $500 range allows you to stock up on ammo and magazines with what you have left.

Remember: when you don't have enough ammo supply, a gun is just an expensive club!

Damn I did not realize those AMD's were that low....I might have to add a new member to the family! Good find :thumb:.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
after you get your AK you really need to go to one of these http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ they will teach you all the safty you need to know plus they will teach you how to shoot better than most soldiers. i was an expert marksman in the army (the best markman badge you can have for marksmanship) and i went to one of these and they showed me some things i didnt know and it cut my shot grp in 1/2 which is really good :thumb:. there are going to be some trainning corses near you very soon http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm

if you know nothing about a rifle or how to shoot. they will teach you everything about your rifle and show you how to adjust the sights(with an AK you will need to buy atleast 1 sight adjustment tool). i HIGHLY recommend anyone go to one of these its really money well spent. if you cant afford to go to both days ,at least go the 1st day they have it. that is the day they show you the basics and where the real teaching is done the 2nd day is for the most part just shooting alot putting what you learned in to practice. so the 1st day is a must

any rifle can be used, from .22 to .50 cal. i would suggest useing the .22 there is no need for anything stronger to learn markemanship and its ALOT cheaper on ammo,but an AK 3 mags and 500 rounds will be just fine. just let them know when you get there that you know nothing about the weapon so they can give you special attention

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the headsup :) I am actually quite familiar with hunting rifles(From .22 to 30-30 levers to 30-ot-6's), shotguns and handguns, and my ex-marine friend has offered to train me in safety and proper use of an AK on one of our range-days. I'm just not a 'gun nut'. I go hunting, and know how to disassemble and deep-clean everything I own, I just don't know the names of all the parts, or other crazy stuff those guys talk about :D I just really want to add a semi to my collection for home defense in case they get taken off the market.

Thanks for everyone's input, btw! It sounds like I will grab an AK, and thanks to whoever posted the link to the $550! Thats a really good deal, I'm going to run it by my marine friend before I invest in anything, but I look foreward to owning my first semi :) I'll take a video of the range when I get it. (I'll try not to accidentally pop any woodchucks! lol)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. For the price the AK is the way to go....don't forget you'll need mags, ammo, cleaning supplies, some training.
I like the reliability of AK's, but everyone seems to down on them without any good reason. People have been telling me AR's are more "Novice friendly", but I don't know what that means(And apparently neither do they?).
I already have plenty of cleaning supplies, I just need to get the gun. I doubt a ban on ammunition will come down at the same time as a ban on the actual gun, so I figure get the gun first, extra mags(4-5 extra mags) and a few cases of ammo shortly after that :) I have training available to me in the form of an ex-marine buddy who'se offered to show me how to disassemble/reassemble/proper firing techniques of the AK. It won't be my first gun, don't worry :) (It'll actually be my *thinks* 12th)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would stay away from the AK right now just because the shortage of 7.62x39... If you want the rugged AK design and a good price maybe go for a Saiga .223 and do a simple mod to use pistol grip on it.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
AIM Surplus has the AMD-65 in stock right now for $550

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Hungarian_FEG_AMD-65_7.62x39_Rifle.html

You can also get an AK from http://classicarms.us/ as they have some in stock too. Getting one in the $500 range allows you to stock up on ammo and magazines with what you have left.

Remember: when you don't have enough ammo supply, a gun is just an expensive club!

^ Can't give any advice better than that.

I like folding stocks on rifles... It allows you to carry them places you couldn't otherwise.

You decide which fits your useage better.

As for a shortage of 7.62x39.... there's a shortage of EVERYTHING...

Get the AK and then put back atleast 2,000 rounds.

Use one to train with and never open the other short of SHTF.

When your open box is down to 500...

Buy another 1,000.

You can stock up easily/quickly like that, and alwasy having 1,000 rounds of 'war supplies'

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt read all the responses, but in my opinion, with your budget go for the AK first then save for an AR, I own both and am happy with both.
I'd like to pretend i'm not going to go overboard with guns, but I plan to own at least one of each subcategory(Rifle- lol I own 8 :3 Shotguns- I own 3, Pistol- At least one, but I'm planning on a S&W Highway patrolman. .357 on the dirty harry .44 frame? Good balance and cheap ammo! :D And then one semi for defense of the home.) Two might be overkill, but I guess its better to have two(One for me and one for someone else) than not enough. :3 Its hard to balance limited income with buying everyday needs and buying prep. gear!! D: I plan on building an AR(With the help of a gun nut pal!) in the near future, but I think you're right, I'm doing the AK first, AR next :)
Good to hear you're happy with both, I'll probobly go down to the thursday shoot at the NRA range and ask some of the usuals if I can try out their AR and AK and see what I think.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ Can't give any advice better than that.

I like folding stocks on rifles... It allows you to carry them places you couldn't otherwise.

You decide which fits your useage better.

As for a shortage of 7.62x39.... there's a shortage of EVERYTHING...

Get the AK and then put back atleast 2,000 rounds.

Use one to train with and never open the other short of SHTF.

When your open box is down to 500...

Buy another 1,000.

You can stock up easily/quickly like that, and alwasy having 1,000 rounds of 'war supplies'
This is silly of me to ask, but I don't suppose there are any semi-automtics that run on cheap(ish) ammo? I doubt there's any .22 semis out there, although it'd be nice for target shooting and warming up :p
I plan on getting at least two crates. I have one crate of rifle ammo(30-30.. I know I should stock 30-ot-6, but its always bought out when I go to buy), and about a half crate of buckshot, a full crate of light shot(Birds/woodchucks). Since the AK will be for home defense, I plan on keeping at least a full crate at all times.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
This is silly of me to ask, but I don't suppose there are any semi-automtics that run on cheap(ish) ammo? I doubt there's any .22 semis out there, although it'd be nice for target shooting and warming up :p
I plan on getting at least two crates. I have one crate of rifle ammo(30-30.. I know I should stock 30-ot-6, but its always bought out when I go to buy), and about a half crate of buckshot, a full crate of light shot(Birds/woodchucks). Since the AK will be for home defense, I plan on keeping at least a full crate at all times.
LOL, Are you single?

If you like Motorcycles...

Will you conisder marrage?
Send picture of guns!:D:

AK74's are about the cheapest ammo you'll find right now.

It's a run on ammo. Prices will go back down. Not to $75 per case of 7.62x39... but some.

There ARE .22 Semi's. Both pistol and Rifle.

Pistol:
Riger MK2
Browning Buckmark
S&W 41
Colt woodsman and Huntsman
As well as others.

Rifle:
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Model 60

There are also conversions for various pistols and rifles to shoot .22's

http://www.advantagearms.com/

The CMP sells 30-06