Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors live about 250yd away and if I shoot they might freak out. So how far away can a 14.5-16in barrel AR-15 in 5.56x45 and a 16in barrel AK-47 in 7.62x39 be heard? Which one sounds louder at a distance?

And I was told that a 14.5-16in AR or AK is louder than a 30-06 or .308 with a 22-24 in barrel because although the .308/30-06 has more powder, most of it is burned at the end of the barrel making the short barrel AR/AK louder, is that true?

·
Happy to be here!
5,631 Posts
They are both audible over a mile away. Just make sure it's legal to fire a gun on your property where you are. If it's legal, than have two or three 17 yard trucks of dirt dumped for a back stop. Give your neighbors a courtesy call advising you will be doing some shooting on your property, and all the bullets are contained by a back stop. Ask if any want to join you if you're feeling extra friendly.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
as long as its a safe direction, do it any way, let the neighbors know first, but if u are getting a 14.5 in barrel than u have a SBR which is title 2 , suppressors are title 2 aswell why not look into it

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Ak-47 will be quieter, but not to the point where 250 yards matters.

22lr is pretty quiet. The 22lr conversion is not a bad idea. I have a 38 special lever gun with 24" barrel that is very quiet too.

Get the rifle you want. Shoot rimfire at home and centerfire at a range. Thats what I do.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
If your in an open area you will hear it at least a mile away...In a canyon setting much further.....Tell your neighbor you are setting up a safe range and of course no homes down range...Can you get a tractor and make a dirt berm and put your targets in front of it...Shoot at reasonable times in the day and as a courtesy i tell the few neighbors i have that i will be shooting...I do this as we have a standing agreement IF we hear gun shots we investigate it to see if any of us are in trouble..............................
.Also check out Will's post #5 about inviting the neighbors to shoot..

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Depends on the environment. Winters with snow and thin air and the report will be heard for 2 miles or more, particularly at night.

Look into a suppressor where you live. They are truly wonderful in 22 LR. In centerfire rifles, they typically reduce the report enough that you don't need hearing protection and they reduce muzzle flash and blast by about 90%, making it non-directional and not soundng so much like a gunshot.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
i just dont understand why u would go through the trouble of getting a short barreld rifle an not go ahead with getting a suppressor aswell, unless suppressors are excluded from title 2 in your state

·
Registered
564 Posts
Suppressor is a good thought.

Tell the neighbors before you start shooting the first time.

You might try making a berm of other sound absorbing (or bouncing) thing between where you are planning on shooting and your neighbor.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Suppressor is a good thought.

Tell the neighbors before you start shooting the first time.

You might try making a berm of other sound absorbing (or bouncing) thing between where you are planning on shooting and your neighbor.
or just start dumping like veitnam is in your back yard, maybe they will move, naw i kid, seriously i kid

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.