Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Really nice, got a lot of great features. But I would miss my day to day sun light streaming in so I'll leave it on the market.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We have an earth home already. They're not that uncommon in this valley or even in this area of the country. You can only live in one if you are willing to live outside all those rules that have been forced on you all your life. Such as my furniture is all made by hand (usually by me or a friend) because you room isn't square like the rest of the world lives in.

blt

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
I don't mean to be a dink - but the kitchen's waaaaay to small. If I'm going to hole up somewhere, waiting for the second coming of the flying spaghetti monster, it had better have a much larger kitchen.

The description says there are something like 7 beds in that place - could you imagine cooking meals for 7 (or more, if there's double occupancy in any bed) in such a small kitchen? Plus - it would help to have a large prep area, just in case things go a little long term.

(Edit: I don't mean "flying spaghetti monster" in any derogatory way... I meant it as a catchall for all deities.)

·
Endure-Adapt-Overcome
332 Posts
This place is so cool, I would love to own one like it. I just woundn't want this one, because I know I have seen this before and I know that everyone near this house knows about it. So to me I would not feel very safe if everyone knew where my retreat was. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
557 Posts
Love the fact that in extreme conditions it will still keep 50 degrees. This would save soo much fuel , Very low utility bills and the solar panels . Another thing is it is so inside of nature above the house still looks beautiful. The only thing is how do u fix a leak on the roof. The leak is buried in the soil?? Great article thanks

·
Banned
742 Posts
I wonder about the security of that above ground cupola. I mean, the guy has a rolling garage door to protect his underground home but he has a cupola with a glass window that allows access above ground? What am I missing? (Besides the desire to live in a ferroconcrete hobbit bunker.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
All the creature comforts western society has come to expect. Even during a survival scenario???? Where are all the **** Proenneke's of the world? ( It is nice though;-)

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This place is so cool, I would love to own one like it. I just woundn't want this one, because I know I have seen this before and I know that everyone near this house knows about it. So to me I would not feel very safe if everyone knew where my retreat was. Just my .02 cents
Yeah, thats a great point. I would like to design my own but honestly this is the first one I've seen and so its cool.

We have an earth home already. They're not that uncommon in this valley or even in this area of the country. You can only live in one if you are willing to live outside all those rules that have been forced on you all your life. Such as my furniture is all made by hand (usually by me or a friend) because you room isn't square like the rest of the world lives in.

blt
Sweet. Is it similar in design to this one? I wonder how much room for custimization you can have with such a strange shape.

It's ugly.
Hmmmmm....perhaps a bit, but your just jealous!

I wonder about the security of that above ground cupola. I mean, the guy has a rolling garage door to protect his underground home but he has a cupola with a glass window that allows access above ground? What am I missing? (Besides the desire to live in a ferroconcrete hobbit bunker.)
I thought about that too but I think it may be fairly easy to seal and defend if need be. If I were to design one I'd leave the copppla out of it.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
One of the few similar homes that would be safer would be one of the ones made out of an old NIKE missle site.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts