Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Tell me, does there exist a good quality, (say 1/4" THICK) Knife that has a BLADE length GREATER than my old (Blackie Collins designed) 12" Ontario Bowie/Machete ? I find my 12" Ontario to be a good chopper but, I wish it were thicker/heavier and perhaps even a little longer! My being 6'3" tall and 277 lbs., a 12" Bowie doesn't feel too big in my hand. Of course I have/use several other smaller Knives/Saw/Hatchet for use while in the Woods however, when it comes to (for instance) building a shelter, a BIG knife is mighty handy! Thank you all for any suggestions.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
I made a machette out of 5/16" plate steel. It is 25" long and the blade is 4" tall.
I made it for no other reason than to amuse myself but it is now at the cabin and can easily split 4 - 6" logs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Skul,

Ummm...now that's a Knife! LOL! Awesome! Perhaps I need something just a bit smaller. Ya know, I wonder why Ontario no longer makes the Blackie Collins design 12" Bowie ? It's truly a pretty nice BIG knife. Of course, it's more of a chopper than a knive. I broke the "hand guard" on my Ontario darn it.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I do own a 12" Khukri but, I find the shape not to my liking due to the fact that I have a bad wrist problem and I find it difficult to handle/work a Khukri. I do much better with a stright blade.
I also want the blade to be thick and heavy so the weight of the blade will aid in chopping.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I do own a 12" Khukri but, I find the shape not to my liking due to the fact that I have a bad wrist problem and I find it difficult to handle/work a Khukri. I do much better with a stright blade.
I also want the blade to be thick and heavy so the weight of the blade will aid in chopping.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT
a golok is in many ways superior to the kukri...it is what i use.........

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
A few years ago I got a butcher knife. That was a wonderful knife - as tough as nails and as sharp as a razor (I skipped that it took me a couple hours to sharpen it first :)

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
A knife is no unlike a drill bit.You want to drill a 1/4 inch hole,you use a 1/4 inch bit. A giant knife ain't the best for field dressing game or fileting fish,but are okay for chopping poles. Are you carrying a couple blades for different purposes,or just want one for looks?

·
15T :)
505 Posts
Hi all,

Tell me, does there exist a good quality, (say 1/4" THICK) Knife that has a BLADE length GREATER than my old (Blackie Collins designed) 12" Ontario Bowie/Machete ? I find my 12" Ontario to be a good chopper but, I wish it were thicker/heavier and perhaps even a little longer! My being 6'3" tall and 277 lbs., a 12" Bowie doesn't feel too big in my hand. Of course I have/use several other smaller Knives/Saw/Hatchet for use while in the Woods however, when it comes to (for instance) building a shelter, a BIG knife is mighty handy! Thank you all for any suggestions.

Regards,
KAOS THE CAT
i suggest you take a trip to Oaxaca Mexico,my father brought me back a machete americano from there....its a good sentimental piece..but surly it could hack the hell out of something....its considered a short sword.

they hand make them in front of you i hear

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Well, there are a few custom out there that will fit the bill, but most are pretty expensive. Big knives can be useful with some practiced techniques, but they are a tad heavy for swinging, chopping and toting around.

The largest "knives" in that category I own are my Bill Siegle Hoodlum II and my old Livesay RTAK (less than a 1/4" thick). Cold Steel's Trailmaster has a 9.5" blade which is a massive chopper as well. If you don't need a point at the end, the Valiant Goloks are a great deal and good choppers (most are 1/4" thick) and can have up to 15-16" blades. TOPS knives has a few monsters in the size...

TOPS knives

For me, the optimum "big knife" size is about 9-10 inches. I think beyond that you're carry too much weight for the wrong sized tool...khukuries included...of course I'm about 6 inches shorter than you:D:

ROCK6

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,562 Posts
I just got a Ka-Bar Camp Knife that sounds like it might fit your needs.

12-3/4" overall length
8" blade 1/8" thick
1095 Cro-Van Steel
Kraton G handle
.9 lb overall weight.

·
Registered
688 Posts
lol
that's just not right. Make a good bayonette...

Reactions: joes

·
15T :)
505 Posts
you know you want one of them puppies.

they inject a basketball sized ball of cold gas into a target causing freezing and a wound channel like you wouldnt believe

1 - 20 of 52 Posts