Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the pop or soda is empty, I clean the inside of the bottle and cap with hot soapy water, rinse well, then refill and hard tighten the lid. I tape a date when the bottle was filled and they are stored in the plastic 8 bottle packs like they use at the store. That way I can stack them in my pantry and it saves room. If I need to take water, I just grab some of the 8 packs of 2 liter bottles and load them in the car. A 2 liter bottle of water is easily carried by trying a rope around the neck of the bottle and slinging the bottle over your shoulder. It's an easy way for a child to carry a 2 liter bottle of fresh water. A hand sewn bag with a strap could be easily made from camo material as a bottle carrier.
SEOhioPrepper.

·
Registered
533 Posts
There is an excellent discussion of why NOT to use those 2 litre bottles here:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=380043

(including that the bottles deteriorate sooner than you think, among many other reasons that IamZeke explains more eloquently & scientifically than I'm inclined to do here)

That link is in the "Stickie" called "Water Thread."

·
Say when
851 Posts
as long as you rotate them frequently (i.e. every 6 months), That's a fine idea. don't let all of these people scare you off from storing water in bottles, meant for soda, for short term.
everyone is so scared of anything/everything anymore. If that's all you have or can afford for now, then do it. I'd rather have some water that has been stored in a 2L bottle for a year, then none at all.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Better to not buy the soda and buy real water containers.

The 'Aquatainer' is one of the better ones. Sometimes available from Blain's with free shipping. Made of HDPE plastic that doesn't leach any toxic chemicals. So, you can fill it once with chlorine treated water and never have to worry about it again. It can literally stay on the shelf forever.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...1sZlHhIIgKTZH66NPIY3IbsjWfRxZL7WhUaAvP68P8HAQ

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
After the pop or soda is empty, I clean the inside of the bottle and cap with hot soapy water, rinse well, then refill and hard tighten the lid. I tape a date when the bottle was filled and they are stored in the plastic 8 bottle packs like they use at the store. That way I can stack them in my pantry and it saves room. If I need to take water, I just grab some of the 8 packs of 2 liter bottles and load them in the car. A 2 liter bottle of water is easily carried by trying a rope around the neck of the bottle and slinging the bottle over your shoulder. It's an easy way for a child to carry a 2 liter bottle of fresh water. A hand sewn bag with a strap could be easily made from camo material as a bottle carrier.
SEOhioPrepper.
Take your soda bottles and put them in the recycling bin.

Consumer grade plastic is gas permeable. That means oxygen will go in the bottle right through the plastic. Nothing you can do to stop it so it's not a viable container for dry goods.

No matter how perfectly you store the bottles with water in them the bottle will release phthalates, acetaldehyde, and heavy metal antimony into water stored in them within 18 months. In high temps that will happen as fast as 3 months in a hot garage.

Other than storing salt and white sugar a 2L bottle is of no value to a prepper for long term storage.

But you would know that if you took the time to read our pinned threads instead of thinking you can give advice on the world's oldest and largest survival forum within your first days of being here.

Read more, learn, step away from the lectern until then.

Lose the soda habit too. You aren't much of a survivalist if you keep ruining your body with bulk quantities of soda.

All the preps in the world won't save you if you are a 300lb diabetic on a scooter.

·
Ornery Cur
146 Posts
Better to not buy the soda and buy real water containers.

The 'Aquatainer' is one of the better ones. Sometimes available from Blain's with free shipping. Made of HDPE plastic that doesn't leach any toxic chemicals. So, you can fill it once with chlorine treated water and never have to worry about it again. It can literally stay on the shelf forever.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...1sZlHhIIgKTZH66NPIY3IbsjWfRxZL7WhUaAvP68P8HAQ
With a nice handle for transport and a tap/valve. And I think they're stackable, although I haven't done that.

I've used them for camping for years, and also to haul water around for projects, for example to mix concrete out at spots away from my house. They take a beating, although I did manage to crush and puncture one.

I have one sitting full out in my shop right now. I'm due to pick up another.

I keep a few cases of bottled water in my cool basement, but I rotate it, either drinking it around the house in hot weather, or using it for camping. Just for the convenience. And the bottles go into the trash.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
With a nice handle for transport and a tap/valve. And I think they're stackable, although I haven't done that.
Only stack 2 high if containing water. They can't handle 3 or more high unless empty.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
What the hell is "pop"?
Aren't you below the Mason / Dixon line ?
It's even more amusing in Texas.

Tea only comes one way unless you specifically ask for something other than very sweet Lipton iced tea.

If you ask for a Coke they will ask you what kind, as in Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Mountain Dew, Orange, or actual Coke. Coke just means soda here. Crazy given this is where Dr. Pepper came from and is more popular than Coke here. But a soda is still called a Coke.

Unless you are in San Antonio where where Big Red rules. Big Red tastes like a cross between bubble gum, cotton candy, and strawberry. Sounds crazy I'm sure, but it's wicked with rum.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Milk jugs are polyethylene, aren't they?
Yes they are. They are safe as far as toxins go.

But they are infamous for busting, especially on concrete. And if not on concrete they still break a lot and that means you put it somewhere with a real floor and a gallon of water unnoticed on typical flooring will blow your preps budget for a long time fixing the floor. A better container ends up a lot cheaper. Plus milk cartons are actually hard to get clean of milk, which introduces a medium to grow nasties.

I have never seen any type of plastic bottled water in a grocery store that was suitable for long storage. I've been looking for years in a huge city with many national grocery chains.

The only things I've found in grocery stores that pass my three rules are found in this thread: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=380043

My rules are:
1) It needs to be recycle code #2 or #5 (#7 is OK as a second number for the cap).
2) It must be thick wall enough to hold up (the reason milk jugs fail the test).
3) It must have been used for a food product (a food safe release agent was used).

Otherwise I recommend dedicated water storage containers you buy empty, like the Aquatainer.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
The original post wasn't clear on the time length of storage.

I keep a fair amount of empty water bottles in the garage.I'm in hurricane country,and have plenty of notice to fill them if needed.

·
Run Silent, Run Dark
954 Posts
After the pop or soda is empty, I clean the inside of the bottle and cap with hot soapy water, rinse well, then refill and hard tighten the lid. I tape a date when the bottle was filled and they are sto...
SEOhioPrepper.
I have given this advice and use them, too. Now that I know, I'll use them for flushing the toilet.

Questions:

The water stored in these bottles, this way, is it safe to wash hands, hair, or body?

Could a slow drip ceramic filter make the water safe?

I may try some Arizona tea and/or compare price/convenience of obtaining Aqua-Tainers.

Plus, is there a post count level where the avatar shows up? I found an NRA logo that I shrunk. shows that it is 'there', but doesn't post.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.