Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 10 manual hedge clippers. Some have a 3 foot handle on them. I was thinking maybe I could make some short spears for a joke. The long handled ones have an offset blade so I had to straighten it. I was lazy and didn't heat the offset,just stuck it in the 12 ton press and flattened it. Snap ,crack ,garbage. Well when I try it again I put the torch to it before straightening it. I knew better but sometime shortcuts can work.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,720 Posts
I make my spears out of 3/8" and 1/2" RE-BAR. I have some 3/4" & 1". I sharpen the point on my 4" belt sander. Once I figure where I want my hand for launch, I wrap that with 550 cord or leather. It is cheap and easy, especially if you have piles of Re-Bar from concrete work.

·
Registered
Cocked, locked, ready to rock.
993 Posts
I made a spear for an African businessman once out of a bush hog blade and a matching Knobkourrie. Last I heard they were still on his wall here in the office here.

No idea what the price is now, but post hole digger handles were 10.00 at home depot. damn near impossible to break and look great with a bit of sanding and staining.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

·
Retired Army
5,931 Posts
These are what I use for spears. Great fir the Cave Man, great for the Man Cave.

Al

·
Registered
67 Posts
I make my spears out of 3/8" and 1/2" RE-BAR. I have some 3/4" & 1". I sharpen the point on my 4" belt sander. Once I figure where I want my hand for launch, I wrap that with 550 cord or leather. It is cheap and easy, especially if you have piles of Re-Bar from concrete work.
I knew a guy who did this. Brought down feral hogs with his rebar spears too.

I made a spear for an African businessman once out of a bush hog blade and a matching Knobkourrie. Last I heard they were still on his wall here in the office here.

No idea what the price is now, but post hole digger handles were 10.00 at home depot. damn near impossible to break and look great with a bit of sanding and staining.
Face Tool Tree Grass Viking

I would like to make something like this. 14th century Goedendag, used by Flemish militia against heavy cavalry, though I think they were typically a bit longer. Basically just a big stick with a metal cap on the end and a three-sided spike stuck through it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts