Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow--these AK prices are completely out of sight.

I had toyed with the idea of building my own AK, but the cost of all the jigs and tools put the price of a build way past the price of one purchased off the shelf. Now the shelf bought AK's are way beyond reason--and any more AK purchases for me are out of the question....

That is until I ran across a guy at the recent gun show. He was selling pre-bent, partially complete AK recievers... with rails installed and spot-welded, and top-rails bent, shaped and ground. Only the holes were not cut or drilled. Instead he had a template precision glued to each reciever--pre-layed out with the location for all the holes. Wow!

This reviever is completely legal (even in CA), and is not considered a completed reciever--hence it can be shipped anywhere (almost) without it being considered a firearm... and no paperwork.

Until now the cost of building an AK was higher than purchasing one off the shelf because of all the jigs, hydraulic press, spot-welder and layout tools necessary... and all of these went primarily into the reciever bending, and rail layout processes. But with these partialy complete recievers--all the hard and expensive work requiring jigs, bending blocks and the expensive tools is done already.

The guy's website is REDHOTGUNDEALS.COM and he is in Nevada. Cost of the partially completed reciever is 69 dollars. Yeah that's right--cheap for all the work that has been put into it.

http://www.redhotgundeals.com/

The cost for parts AK parts kits still is around 150 dollars--including furniture. What you will need to complete an AK from this stage is simple equipment, hand tools and riveting tools--and this would be either a hydraulic riveting tool if you have a press, or a modified bolt cutter/riveting tool. The barrel can be pressed into the trunion using the all-thread method (prefered easier method). The recievers have to be heat-treated, but this is easily done in your garage with a map-gas (common copper pipe torch) torch available in Home Depot--several areas must be heated red hot and quenched in oil or water. That's it!

I'm pretty sure an AK can be assembled (with a pre-bent reciever) for around 450 dollars--or less, depending upon the cost of the parts kit.

Now if anyone is interested in building their own AK I will post links on complete instructions, hints and sites for the process.

http://gunsgutsandgod.com/

It is not that hard if you can work with your hands.

If you wanted to build you own AK I would now order metal (and only metal) AK mags (and there is a thread on this site where they are going for 6.95 each--limit 25--slightly rusted but easily cleaned up), order a parts kit/s now, and get your reciever/s in the mail... the tools and knowledge will still be out there after Mr. O comes in--but hurry.

If you really want to do this--it's your last chance, hop on it now!

If the Hadji's can do it in the Kyber pass--you can do it in your garage!

I thought some of you would like this.

Evil as ever

T

·
531 Posts
I don't have the means at home to do the riveting, any idea what something like that would cost to have done?

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
IF it's bent.... IT's not 80%.

Something smells.
RUN away.

I've built about a dozen...

PS, the rails prebent are most likely Tapco... Run away...

ETA: SHOW ME a $150 parts kit. I will buy them ALL!

As to the AK mags... You can order as many as you want.... in batches of 25

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't have the means at home to do the riveting, any idea what something like that would cost to have done?

You can't--it is a homebuild, and you have to do it all yourself, that's the catch.
But you could make it into a screw-build I believe, or get a modified bolt-cutter to do the riveting (or even rent one--they are available).

the rails prebent are most likely Tapco... Run away...

I don't think these are the prebent Tapco stuff--anyways he lays out and scribes the top rail for you so there's not need for that scribe-jig (another cost saving). It appeared to me that these were bent by him and scribed. I think he was using undrilled, with no holes complete blanks.

Hey, contact this guy and find out will ya!

SHOW ME a $150 parts kit. I will buy them ALL!

Correction--you're right! Bastards like you sucked them all up since I last looked!!! lol. They're pushing 250 to over 300 now! Wow! Anyways I know that a place called Omega in Tuscon still has some Rom parts kits and others...

http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/

I don't think you had to order 25 mags--no ammounts over 25 or they will cancel the order--but still this is a good deal even if it were 25 you had to order. 10 mags at 20 bucks (the average price) costs 200. 25 at 6.95 costs 175--and you could sell or trade off 10 at full rate later on after they were cleaned up and recoup your money.

T

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

if you can drill the old rivets, get ya some U-Drive screws, they look like twisted rivets made from hardened steel, and just press them in.

check ak47.net

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
A lot of folks 'in the know' are do screw builds. The problem is you can't touch an AK kit for less than about 350.00 and most are more.

Second problem is the kits left out there are almost all garbage kits as the builders over the last 4 years have been cherry picking the good ones and building.

If you watch the finished sales they get bid right up at the last.

You would be better off on a home build to pick a 1919 belt fed or something that can be done under a grand and will hold its value as a curiosity.

What would happen if Big O steps up and says yes look alike AKs can be traded again? Those kits won't bring $30.00. You never know. Most any gun shop in the country will take a 1919 off your hands and slap a big price on it so it hangs around for display. If the laws change and they can't sell it, so what? They got a nice conversation peice and display item. A home build AK? not so much.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you can drill the old rivets, get ya some U-Drive screws

Another money saving idea.

T

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
There are homebuilt AK's and there are homebuilt AK's.

I have done slightly over a dozen, but one of them is offa 100% reciever.

I have a bunch more recievers waiting ether at my FFL or for No Dak to ship.
(Using a Flat is VERY labor intensive)

A functional Ak will be worth more than $30

You don;t haveto do all of it yourself... Legally you just haveto be involved.
The line many foollow is you bending the flat yourself.

The ATF has regs.... 80% complete is the cutoff.

If anyy of ya'll are near new orleans... I can hook you up one weekend with all the tools etc... You might haveto buy my buddy (Who has the tools) lunch or a couple boxes of ammo though.

Personally... look hard, find a $500 WASR and shoot the hell out of it.

Only reason I'm still building is I bought my kits from $99 to $140...

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only reason I'm still building is I bought my kits from $99 to $140...

I did a build a few years back using an aquaintance's jigs and equipment... I wanted to d a few more, but I waited too long, I should'a scooped up and cherry picked a few more parts kits way before the summer. Damn!

I guess a couple AK's is better than no AK's. lol

I posted this thread because people were bemoaning the fact that AK's were scarse to non-existant in some area.

But looking at availablitly now, you'd be luck to find a clean parts kits. And it is still a slightly cheaper way to get an AK with a pre-bent (with the rails spot-welded in already) reciver blank. I saw this as a way of eliminating the need for 90% of the tools and jigs for a build and keeping the cost down--and I'm correct.

I've done a search and found other guys who supply more or less the same reciever (with layouts), but none of them have the rail pre-spot welded. So my thinking this is a good thing. Right?!

And thanks for the legal info--I thought you had to do it all yourself, with no outside help. So this is a good tid-bit of info. Thanks.

If you wish to part with a kit let me know please--for sell or trade of interesting things.

Your humble servant,

T

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well, the 80% CYA thing has already been addressed. Although, he may be still covered by teh fact that there are absolutely no holes or cuts made.
Anyhow, for $70, you could have a completely done receiver from nodak, or DCI.
When I did my build, it wasn't teh bolt cutter riviter, or the shop press that was pricy, it was the nice jigs for stuff like triggerguards that was ouch. Still, with a $200 kit, your $70 rec, and $70 in compliance parts, you're still looking at $350. Up to you to decide if it's worth the trouble to build onefor teh price of a Wasr (BTW, it is. The feeling of I made this is great :) )

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is an 80%, actually less, because there are no holes drilled at all. It is just a sheet metal channel with a template glued on it. The Udrive rivets aren't that great, same with screw builds. Rivetting is pretty easy, I've even done one with a ball peen hammer. If you don't want to buy any jigs or specialty tools you can always weld the trunnions in place.

A great site for building AKs, and other firearms, is http://www.gunco.net/forums/index.php

There are also 80% AR receivers out there. Or you can even make one out of sheet metal. There is no end to what you can build.. right now I'm working on a .45 carbine.

·
Semper Fi 0311 0341
44 Posts
Does anyone have a name of a gunsmith in ohio that would build my mak 90 kit I bought in 92? it is just missing the receiver. I really want to put it together but I can not do it myself.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The trunions/guide rails are spot-welded into place on this reciever.
That's what caught my attention.
Also the top rails are laid-out already for grinding (no jig required).

Drilling and cutting holes is easy.

T

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

If you wish to part with a kit let me know please--for sell or trade of interesting things.

Your humble servant,

T

Not likely, but you can tempt me.

Having another build party this weekend...
(It's been awhile)

This time I think I'll use a 100% NDS-1
(I have a few recievers laying around as well as flats)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Does anyone have a name of a gunsmith in ohio that would build my mak 90 kit I bought in 92? it is just missing the receiver. I really want to put it together but I can not do it myself.
Not in Ohoi, but look up Jim Fuller
Arazona Response systems,
Gunplumber
and Red Jacket firearms.

If it's a milled kit... forget it. I might be able to find soemone to take it off your hands for parts... but nobody's gonna mill you out a MAK reciever.

Oh, for everybody else:
http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

What with WASR'S well over $500... It might be worthit to some. (Or search really hard for a mid $500'sWASR)

ETA:
10 build, buy now of $600:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120537543

AK74 $505 21 bids
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120226212

$580 reserve not met, 5 bids
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=120379770

Best gun of the above:
$510, 11 bids
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119704638
And it'll cost you $150-$250 to make it into 'AK configuration'

THat's about your best prices gents...

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
This explains the difference indepth. It even has pics! http://www.ak-47.us/AK-47Receivers.php
Also there are milled receivers out there. Rebuilding a milled receiver is rather easy, depending on the kit, and cheap. This guy rebuilt his for $55; http://www.gunco.net/forums/f43/how-i-rebuilt-my-milled-aks-55-plus-compli-parts-30809/
^ Tis true, I forgot about rewelding.

It's a possability.

HAving another build party Sunday (Wahoo) I've got one gun Almost finished and I'm building one offa 100% so that should be done easily.

So, monday I'll have 2 more AK's.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts