Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Be very careful,,you can legally make one for yourself with no serial number on it,,if you are making them and selling you are a gun dealer/manufacturer. Then they need paperwork or you will do jail time. Same for AK or really any gun.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Get to work on building them before the parts are forbidden items. I building me one more before it gets to late.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get to work on building them before the parts are forbidden items. I building me one more before it gets to late.
Thats it, hopefully I will get two lowers tomorrow.
The only reason I sold it was I was offered a stupid amount of money that would allow me to add certain things to the collection.
I'm going to build one right away to replace the one I sold and keep the second lower for a future build.
I'm going to try to find an M1 carbine as well. My wife was raised shooting more conventional guns and the AR just ain't her thing. I was thinking an M1 carbine might be just the ticket for her.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
AR's are trash, im glad you sold it.
Wow... I've heard of some bad experiences, but never heard them called trash. Usually the problem is the owner doesn't know how to maintain them. I've got 2 and never had a issue. Not a single "jam" or mis-feed. While I wouldn't say they are the best, they're certainly not trash.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AR's are trash, im glad you sold it.
Oh, Ok. What should I do with the others???????
I have to admit, I'm not a big AR fan. The fact of the matter however is I have had 0 failures with the guns I have personally built. I throw them on my back, ride 4 wheelers and cover them in mud and then what? They work. The replacement parts are cheap and the product works. What else is there?

Where do you order the kits?
SARCO and other places. The key is to get USGI spec hardware.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I've been screwin around with the AR's for a while and 1EAGLSCOUT is right, if you use USGI parts and keep her lubed you'll be good to go. Mine are all built be me and I have ZERO failures (except for wolf ammo). It really is a good gun if you do your part in cleaning it and maintaining it. I know there are those of you that beg to differ but the reality is if you took the time to understand the weapon and performed the simple task of maintenance you'd probably fall in love with it, save for the hard core 7.62 and 308 guys. I also like the bigger caliber rifles but give me a choice, I chose my MOD 0 in 5.56mm.

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
I like them all, for a carbine the AR is a good platform if maintained. I also like the M1 carbine, the 5.56 is a superior round than the .30 carbine but they both work.

Battle weapons are a whole different beast. I prefer .308 for reaching out there but these rifle generally are twice the weight so its kinda a toss up, to many variables....

DS

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
are they hard to construct?
Lets put it this way, I build my lowers with a brass hammer, some electrical tape (to prevent scratching) and a Gerber tool.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not really, I don't build them to sell. The only reason I sold this one was I received an insane bid. Its the only one I built that I have sold.
Well, I gave one to Dad for Christmas.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
i've been screwin around with the ar's for a while and 1eaglscout is right, if you use usgi parts and keep her lubed you'll be good to go. Mine are all built be me and i have zero failures (except for wolf ammo). It really is a good gun if you do your part in cleaning it and maintaining it. I know there are those of you that beg to differ but the reality is if you took the time to understand the weapon and performed the simple task of maintenance you'd probably fall in love with it, save for the hard core 7.62 and 308 guys. I also like the bigger caliber rifles but give me a choice, i chose my mod 0 in 5.56mm.
wolf ammo is garbage!!! I wont shoot it ever!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I used to be from the anti AR camp, after a decade of military service and being mostly stuck with worn out rifles and mags. I bought an SKS and shortly thereafter upgraded to an AK clone. Finally I brooke down and bought a QUALITY Ar after listening to guys on various boards. I bought a bushmaster, after thousands of rounds of rounds I have had exactly 2 jams. I was an ammo issue, the case lip had turned over causing a bulge. The other was from a bad, cheap magazine, the spot welds running up the back came undone, causing the lips to spread apart enough that they no longer held the rounds in. When I ejected the mag all 29 of the remaining rounds came fountaining out of the mag.

If you assemble, or buy an AR with quality, USGI parts, and use USGI magazines you will have no regrets.

It took a couple years to earn my trust, but my Bushmaster leans against the wall next to my bed, my AK sits in the gun cabinet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts