Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
D.E. is fossilized algae. to us its liek flour... to insects its like shards of glass. It is used in some pool filters and grain storage but apparently their is a gig difference is food grade and pool grade.

It is also use in special aquarium filters as a water polisher.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
It's also called fossil shell flour. Because essentially that's what it is. The fossilized skeletons of ancient diatoms.

What you see talked about here is FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth, not pool grade. Food grade is used all throughout the packaged food industry to keep bugs out of various dry mixes. It's also used in grain silos for the same purpose. Pool grade can kill you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use , DE a lot. Always food grade even though I use it mainly for the animals.

As a flea killer, dust on your cats and dogs, I put it under my chicken's wings as a deterrent for red mite and lice. Tip some outside where the chickens have their dust baths.

Sprinkle inside nesting boxes in chicken coop and on floor. Kills mites and lice lurking there.

Can be sprinkled on llama poop piles to prevent larvae from living after they hatch.

Humans can take it internally as well for worms, as well as animals. There are many more uses, these are just mine, search on Google for more uses.

WARNING: It is harmfull for bees so please do not throw it about where bees are likely to land.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
yep...what Libellula said. If you have any animals, use DE. I sprinkle it everywhere.. in the coop, in dog food and chicken food and on any pile of doo-doo I see in the yard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts