Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before (on the right obviously ):

After- two views:

I used Citristrip with 0000 steel wool to remove the stain and shellac combo that the Reds were so fond of. After stripping, I wiped all the wood with an alcohol-soaked rag, then proceeded to use Miniwax Polyurethane finish; two coats applied with a sponge brush.

I also used the Citristrip and steel wool to remove the crappy paint from the bolt and bolt carrier.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you use a stain before clear coat it will even up the blotches. It doesnt have to be much and remember that it never turns out like how it looks on the can so go a little darker than you really want. rub a few coats in with an old sock or something, then hit it with some 220 and then do a few good coats of the poly. It wont look much different than it does now, but it will hide the blotches.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it's splotchy, but that's my final answer because the purpose was functional rather than aesthetic. The shellac was cracking and flaking off of the rifle and it needed a redo. Thanks for the feedback, though.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Minwax makes a product called "Prestain Conditioner" it is used primarily for softwoods like pine or alder. Softwoods tend to absorb stain unevenly which causes the "Sploches"
All you do is rub it on with a rag a let it soak in before appling stain.
I would also recommend using an oil based stain, with a second coat of clear finish like deft or spar varnish instead of the one coat poly urethane/stain products.
Solinvictus- You improved your SKS for sure. I have a Mosin that looks like it was used to paddle across the Volga, and then for clubbing fascists because the poor commie who carried it wasn't one of the guys issued bullets. I may try to refinish it. I will post pics if I ever get around to doing it.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
Yeah, it's splotchy, but that's my final answer because the purpose was functional rather than aesthetic. The shellac was cracking and flaking off of the rifle and it needed a redo. Thanks for the feedback, though.

I say Good Job. Ya it looks splotchy, but it adds character. You now own an SKS's that looks like she could say "I've seen thing". You have my vote on individuality.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.